Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Went to give my 156 a oil change,the sump drain nut was loose and leaking slightly.It wont come off.will have to get it re tapped probaly.Suggestions made to me was to drill it off,dissolve with nitric acid,or replaced the whole sump.I bought car private 6 months ago so i have no come back:cry:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
:cry: Went to give my 156 a oil change,the sump drain nut was loose and leaking slightly.It wont come off.will have to get it re tapped probaly.Suggestions made to me was to drill it off,dissolve with nitric acid,or replaced the whole sump.I bought car private 6 months ago so i have no come back:cry:
Sure you could get it re-tapped by a local engineering workshop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi

i found my plug 2 hav a mutant plug on.it has a adapter and then a stop end on it hidius and low 2 floor.its booked in 2 get retapped and sorted this tuesday.

ill let u no wat happens 2 see if its any gd or not

·
Registered
396 Posts
Was it loose or just leaking
Cant get it off do you mean its to tight, if so then normally i have to use a metre long length of pipe to slacken it(and i dont put it in that tight), they normally are very tight.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
A helicoil will be about £50 and will sort you out.
Best not to wait too long - you don`t want the plug dropping out on the motoway!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I think, sometimes, that my sump drilling has some sort of abnomaly with the thread, because it starts loose on initial release, then goes a bit tighter, then loosens finally. No way could it fall out with this peculiarity factor. Never had a problem with it though, sometimes buy a new plug with incorporated seal. Happy motoring? Touch of PTFE at the base of the plug, belt and braces stuff?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had the same problem unscrewed mine by pulling and unscrewing simultaniosly with mole grips,to get it started 1/2 an inch of thread on plug.. 3/16 of thread to screw into.. i replaced the copper washer with one i made 3/16 of an inch thick hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts