Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time has come to pass the baton on to someone else for organising SE events, as I'll be selling my V6 come early Spring and won't be using it anymore now as I get it fully prepared...

Not an easy decision, but I'm not using it much and with some recent modifications to the TT, it does everything, plus I can cut out the costs of a third car!

In another 12 months, I'll be moving on to a TTS with STronic, as it's a phenomenally quick, point to point car. My recent test drive got me hooked and the Alfa will provide funding towards a 2012 Black Edition... So, yes indeed, I have been seduced by the "Dark Side" but I was more of a fan of Vader anyway :lol:

On a personal note, it was a pleasure to organise all the events over the last few years, and glad everyone enjoyed the days out :) and always good fun!!!

Hopefully someone will continue with these events.. V6 Run, 916-series Spring Run and General Runs for all models.

That's me,

Chau chau

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to hear this Paul and good luck with the new TT. Would like to think that you will be lured back to a V6 alfa one day, they do get to you in a way no VAG product can. When Alfa went to fwd I changed to German motors, Golf GTI, E30 325is, and a merc190e. All great cars but lacking the old Alfa magic. If you do get to miss the roar of a free breathing Busso,feel free to contact me and you are welcome to take my 3.2 GT for a spin. I only live just down the road. Cheers for now..................

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the nod there mate :)

I've taken a view on the price I want for it and if I don't get that price, then I'll be keeping it for another year and try again.

They are an appreciating classic and yes, I will miss the noise!!! After all that is the best bit and the main reason for getting a V6.

My plan was to initially top my ISA on Lloyds Bank stocks, as over the next 2 years you'll easily double + your money!!

I know German motors don't have the same flair, but for having a single car for everything does work for me and I'm really liking fast Audi's these days. But I don't drive it like I'm in an A3, :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Sorry to hear your giving up your V6 Paul, but I remember you told us how much you were enjoing the TT and as your going to upgrade, 3 cars are a lot to run. We'll certainly miss the runs down in the lovely Kent countryside, maybe someone else will take up the mantle, but I doubt it somehow. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into the organising them. Things change and people move on. Let us know when the car is up for sale as I could be interested. All the best and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i maybe joining u m8 i want a e46 m3 only in laguna seca blue or imola red tho-ive done 8 odd years in me gtv maybe time for a change ..wait an see yet:byebye: it that audi tts the perm and blowdry edition...lol

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lynn, thanks for the comments :) I could still do these events but not sure how everyone would feel with the lead car being German??.. would still be a good fun day out.

If you're interested in my GTV, then I'd be more than happy for you to come down one weekend for a viewing / drive out. I'm including a fair number of parts as well. Do you a spot of lunch and a brew!

PM me to discuss further :)

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i maybe joining u m8 i want a e46 m3 only in laguna seca blue or imola red tho-ive done 8 odd years in me gtv maybe time for a change ..wait an see yet
it that audi tts the perm and blowdry edition...lol
M3 is an amazing machine and I like Dean's example. Do prefer coupes but that's due to the Merc SLK, roof down accident I had in south of France.

Hair dryer and hair products can be retro fitted into the glove box no problem :thumbs: but will be keeping the Mk1 TT for a while yet and Quattro is so good in the wet with the Differential.

I still love the GTV, but time to move on.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no!

I think you should continue to do the runs makes no odds to me as they were great...can bring the 20vt then too!

Hi David.. Yeah! I'm afraid so. However, Lynn maybe interested in buying it which would be my preference if all works out.

I'm happy to still get together for a meet/runs out, will just be a more electic mix of motors :)

It'll be a "Bring what you like, as long as it's bloody fast!!!" Run.

I'll put something up for March then :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at my diary, I can do either Sunday 13th or Sunday 20th March for a meet up and drive out.

Let me know what suits and I will post the event.

I can't do anything in April, so the next round would be mid-May.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have now submitted the event for 13/03, so it should be up on here in a day or two.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there a place to say that your up for this or do I just show up ? Would be great to see some like minded people who don't just say " why not get a small cheap car " cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have now submitted the event for 13/03, so it should be up on here in a day or two.

Cheers :)
Pj I'd love to get your opinion on the mk1 TT vs the GTV or if you've driven a 147?

My house mate has the tidler 180hp fwd 1.8 and occasionally lets me drive it, the TT is the only serious contender for my Alfa fund.

Thanks JBA

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a place to say that your up for this or do I just show up ? Would be great to see some like minded people who don't just say " why not get a small cheap car " cheers
Hi Henry - event has been listed here in SE Forum, so you can RSVP there! :thumbup:

Pj I'd love to get your opinion on the mk1 TT vs the GTV or if you've driven a 147?

My house mate has the tidler 180hp fwd 1.8 and occasionally lets me drive it, the TT is the only serious contender for my Alfa fund.

Thanks JBA
Although the TT does not have the Italian Flair / Busso Noise of my GTV, in my opinion it is the better car and provides a more practical sports coupe "all-in-one" package.

- 225Bhp is very quick and with Quattro in the wet, nothing comes close
- Grip is like a limpet with Goodyear Eagle F1's (Assym-2)
- Very practical for a small sports coupe (Boot Space and Interior is much more practical)
- I have the S-line trim so its fully loaded with options
- You sit in the seats (not on them like the GTV) and they are very supportive and comfy

I have just replaced my RS alloys for some newer looking TTS style rims that are diamond cut face with the graphite casing and look superb - as my my avatar picture.

The 225 is highly tuneable and Stage1 (REVO or WAK) Map will take it up to 260Bhp before you do anything else. You can go silly with Intercooler upgrades, Hybrid Turbo and go beyond 300Bhp. The TT Shop in Bedford has done a MK1 with over 450Bhp with water injection.

I love the design, it is classic and timeless (unlike some German cars, i.e. BMW which date somewhat, due to newer more radical designs).

I have had x2 Alfa's (156 Veloce 2.0TS and GTV 3.0 V6) and although something I have enjoyed, I could not live with an Alfa as an everyday car - they just don't work, well for me in any case.

If you are thinking of a MK1 TT, then you need the 225 model as it's the same performance as the V6 but the cost is over £2K cheaper to buy the car. Ideally you want an S-Line spec as it comes with Bi-Xenons, Better Interior, Bose Sound System and so on.

Before the TT, I had a Saab 9-3 TiD as I was doing a lot of miles, but this has now dropped from 35K to 12K pa. So the GTV was my weekend solace of driving something fun and loud.

But, now I have the TT that does everything for me and I do want to get a MK2 TTS in a year or so, I cannot justify having the GTV anymore. Although its fast and the Ragazzon howl is to die for, it can't touch the TT through the twisty bits plus GTV seats are well, crap, which really bugs me as to why Alfa installed these terrible seats in the first place - sure they look nice, but there is no lateral support, too high and tbh spoils the potential of the car.

I know many people will disagree with me on probably all of the above and that I've taken up hairdressing, blah blah comments and what not, but tastes change.

I will add that I am extremely fickle with cars, like I change them as frequently as I change my socks. I had a the Renault Sport Clio 182 back in the day, loved it for a year and then F***ing hated it, when it went all French on me :lol: and have never (and never will) buy French again!!

Bet you're glad you asked now :paranoid: :lol:

PS. I have never had a 147 - but I do love the GTA and at least, that has proper seats !

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That did make me laugh Paul. You know what's happened, you are approaching middle years and want something smart, fast and COMFY. I'm approaching later years and therefore I hanker for my younger days and what to go back there albeit with my current knowledge and income. They say youth is wasted on the young and now I know why. It doesn't mater if the runs are a mix of cars, you are a great organiser and we are all voting for you to stay.:)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That did make me laugh Paul. You know what's happened, you are approaching middle years and want something smart, fast and COMFY. I'm approaching later years and therefore I hanker for my younger days and what to go back there albeit with my current knowledge and income. They say youth is wasted on the young and now I know why. It doesn't mater if the runs are a mix of cars, you are a great organiser and we are all voting for you to stay.:)
Thanks Lynn - it would have been a shame to have given it up, as you and everyone else are a great bunch of people and we all have a great day out. So, yes - I will carry it on (albeit in the TT) for those who still want to get together for a drive out and pub meet at the end.

As much as I love the GTV, I am getting busier with work and will soon be off to China, USA and Switzerland on IT projects; that I don't have the time for another car, plus family time is really important to me and something had to give.

You're probably right on your comment, as I will be approaching "42" this Sept. and I just want something that gives me everything I want / need with just a single car. I like my cars to look pristine, well maintained and a few sporty options.

I have posted an Event for Sunday 13th March if you can make it. David will be coming along in his Fiat Coupe Turbo this time, so that will be interesting to see. Hopefully, Dean will endeavour to turn up for the whole thing in his M3.

PS. If you are still interested in the GTV, let me know and you have my number to come and a look / drive etc. :)

Cheers

Paul

1 - 20 of 36 Posts