Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a huge thanks to the usual suspects, particularly the Pretoria and other Gauteng manne, for the advice given here over the years.

I completed the belt job on my own after years of question asking here. It was hell working in a small space between the body and the timing belt covers but I am very glad that I did it. The long run money saving is worth it. I also found out that I don't need cam locks. The only special tool you need is the tensioner tool, 41mm socket and an impact tool to loosen the crank pulley nut. The rest (Allen keys, socket set, etc.) can be bought easily at any spares shop.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done El - what was the age and mileage on that belt? Mine is now 3 years and 12500km.
5 years and about 30 000kms. That's the aux belt in the pic, though. That was bad but the timing belt was like new, Sling.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ok mine is due now - but ive done only 12500 km and considering pushing my luck for another year - holding thumbs

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes on these V6 Busso motors one never knows , what I dont get is why my Volvo S40T5 can handle 100k , we changed it at 90k after 11 years and the belt looked good no small cracks and all good , when I had my GT I changed it 2 times and when I sold it it failed for the new owner after 160k so not a great design.
Must add that the tensioner puleys were all changed 2 times on the GT but still original on the volvo

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah the last thing I want is a belt to go on this motor. Did you replace the water pump on the GT on the last belt change?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know someone who just changed their belt at 8 or 9 years old. I vaguely remember reading something about mine dust or something similar affecting belt life in Gauteng? For me, a 4-year cycle seems ideal, 5 at a stretch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes every change was not just the belt , I replaced the pump at 120k with the metal one and was fine , not sure if that caused the problem later as I had sold it, the new owner was unhappy as he targeted Turbonutters for poor work, I dont know the reason for the failure, all I wanted to say is why some cars can do 100k+ and 10 years and others 50k and 3 years surely the belts are made the same so it must be the the design of the motor that puts stress on componets

·
Registered
976 Posts
I must add that I miss the Busso but retired now so the fuel and maintanance was the reason I sold it , this was the most expensive car to maintain in my ownership by far , over 25 vehicles in our family,but the busso was the most exiting glad I had it while I could afford it

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think Ill have to bite the bullet and get it done this year. I did not replace the water pump three years ago because it had a metal impeller pump fitted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts