Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
id like to thank everyone who replied for there input, 2 reconditioned turbos later, a few topics posted and my car is finally back on the road! thank you so much

now to bother some more brains, whilst my car was apart I changed my standard airbox for a cone. at about 2000rpm+ you can hear a loud sucking, is this just a combo of a new turbo and cone? I cant see any split hoses just thought id ask as it sounds totally different to when it was on my focus non turbo petrol

id like to replace my seats with leather ones how easy is the change? is it just some bolts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd imagine it's a harmonic effect, ie a sound which only occurs at a certain rev range and is unlikely to be anything amiss.. My 20v makes all sorts of fun noises through its cone filter, whooshes, trills and so on but get it over 2000 and it makes a lovely five-cylinder beat - and more importantly, goes like sh*t off a shovel!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Factory induction systems are designed to reduce noise as much as possible, often at the sacrifice of outright performance hence why people buy Gucci "racing" air filters. Personally I find the noise quite tiring after a while so I've always stayed with stock.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Provided you get the correct seats - either from 3-dr or 5-dr as appropriate, swapping the seats over is simply an unbolt and replace operation.......

Obviously you can fit 3-dr seats in a 5-dr, but the other way round can cause frustration......;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad you got it on road again,what was the oil flow issuse in the end?, i had a k&n replacmet in the airbox on my old 156 jtd and that was throaty compared to standard,had cones on my petol 33's and they had hell of an induction noise,so guessing just the new filter noise, seats as allready said easy job after what youve been through lately, atb happy drivin.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Provided you get the correct seats - either from 3-dr or 5-dr as appropriate, swapping the seats over is simply an unbolt and replace operation.......

Obviously you can fit 3-dr seats in a 5-dr, but the other way round can cause frustration......;)
ensure you unplug battery 30 minutes prior to removing seats as well, else you'll get an airbag light

[email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the main banjo bolt that goes on the engine, the little filter in there was blocked. It was a new banjo just must of been a surge of crap left over. Once I cleaned it out the oil was flowing at 2litres in under 60seconds Midland turbo said that sounds about right so bolted everything back up and it's been good. Covered 200 mile and nothing happened yet.... Would you recommend another oil/filter change around 500 mile? And as for the seats I seen a video on YouTube looks easy to do :) but I'm having second thoughts now as I would have cloth door cards :-\

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad it wasnt a case of sump off to clean pump strainer, im going to change my oil again just as a precaution atb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts