Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took the head off the 1.8TS that I'm breaking at the moment, with the intention of selling it separately as (I was told) the engine had seized due t overheating.

The pistons looked a-ok, so I tried turning it over....and it turns over fine. Nice and smooth, no scoring or anything like that to the bores.

Can anyone suggest any further tests that I can do to the engine to determine how good (or not) it is? I've set the pistons so they're all half way down (or is it half way up :lol: ) and poured some oil into the bores to see if it drains through.

So far so good...

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Drain some oil out, wipe some of it on a clean piece of paper and see if there are any metal particles in it.

You will probably find some small ones, but if the oil looks silver of has large flecks in it then there may be issues looming.

Also remove the cam cover and check the cam lobes if you haven't already. If the cam lobes are worn, then the metal will probably have found its way into the big ends and main bearings.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Apart from pulling it apart and checking the bigs ends, the oil pump and doing measuring there is not a lot more you can do I reckon. :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Don't mean to put a damper on things, but... If the engine had previously heat seized, there could be bore or piston damage. I appreciate there appears to be no scoring, but with a more modern engine, the piston rings are finer than they used to be. They do not retain their springiness and sealing characteristics as well as older ones. It is not unusual to find the engine smokes because the temper has been removed from the piston rings. I once found that out when repairing a Nissan Almera which had previously had some very very poor quality repairs from a Nissan dealer.:tut:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Replace the rings and the jobs a goodun :thumbs:

(oh and give the bores a light workout using a cylinder hone to remove any glaze if this applies)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Replace the rings and the jobs a goodun :thumbs:

(oh and give the bores a light workout using a cylinder hone to remove any glaze if this applies)
this also my advice, turning the engine does not mean a thing if the rings lost their temper (so to speak).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Always renew rings if the bores have been honed.

BTW, what was the amazing technique Alfa used in machining the bores of the Twinspark engine during production? I seem to remember it was something to do with leving a smoother finish/faster bedding in or negated the necessity to hone the bores after cutting.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Always renew rings if the bores have been honed.

BTW, what was the amazing technique Alfa used in machining the bores of the Twinspark engine during production? I seem to remember it was something to do with leving a smoother finish/faster bedding in or negated the necessity to hone the bores after cutting.
Was that the one that caused them to have high oil consumption?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That's what I thought.;) Perhaps it is meant to be a lower friction finish.:confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I took the head off the 1.8TS that I'm breaking at the moment, with the intention of selling it separately as (I was told) the engine had seized due t overheating.

The pistons looked a-ok, so I tried turning it over....and it turns over fine. Nice and smooth, no scoring or anything like that to the bores.

Can anyone suggest any further tests that I can do to the engine to determine how good (or not) it is? I've set the pistons so they're all half way down (or is it half way up :lol: ) and poured some oil into the bores to see if it drains through.

So far so good...

Cheers,

Iain
Take the sump off, check the main and big end bearings and the crankshaft for scoring. Its the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
That's what I thought.;) Perhaps it is meant to be a lower friction finish.:confused:
When I had my engine rebuilt, they honed the bores to get rid of a fine scratch on one, and replaced all the rings. Since then, NO oil consumption ....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My rebuilt engine does use oil. It's only 4K miles since though, and I have yet to put it onto fully synthetic oil. It's had a good variation in conditions for running in- not the recommended wrapped-in-cotton-wool the handbook advises.:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts