Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out where the problem is with my wife's Alfa's blinkers. Started as a once-in-a-while not working problem, now if I flip the turn signal stalk up and down rapidly, they'll work for a bit, and then stop again.

I'd like to test things without having to reconnect the airbag each time, but if I reconnect power with the airbag disconnected, is that going to give me some big headaches?

The blinker module I tested on the bench with just a 55W headlight bulb connected up, and it blinked, but I am wondering whether that was a sufficient test. Also wondering if the hazard flasher switch could be a part of the problem? There must be some electronics there, as I don't feel it "click" when I push it in, so obviously ins't mechanical.

Got to get this sorted out quick, as the technical control of the car is coming up next week, and while in Slovakia 20€ left in the ashtray can do wonders in whether the tester decides some problems are major or minor, lack of functionality of blinkers would fail regardless (and, you know, safety on the road does matter to us as well :-D )

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is it for 147 or 156? I think the 147 has a more complex electrical system, or more integrated to each other component in the whole car.

If you re power without the airbag plugged in, airbag light will come up and will probably need MultiECU scan to clear and reset the system. The free version of MultiECU scan may be enough for your vehicle. Otherwise you will need to have it cleared at a garage, or buy MultiECU scan yourself.

As for the actual problem, I have no solutions.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The 156 hazard switch is mechanical. The latch is mechanical but when the switch contacts, no mechanical switch or step can be felt.

I had an electrical fault in the 1999 TS which turned out to be a wire inside the steering column shroud. It stopped the indicators working and could even stop the car from starting and produce an immobiliser fault. The best solution to tracing was the wire wiggle test.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2003 (or 04) 156.

Last summer going in to fall, it was an intermittent fault. Though, the battery also started draining relatively quickly.

I was wondering whether it isn't a wiring fault, but after flipping up and down the indicator switch a bunch made it work for awhile, makes me think it must be the blinker unit.

I saw another post on here where a guy ran wires from the stalk unit so as to put the blinker down by the fusebox, and that's what I'll do today, as the autoparts store in town isn't going to have the correct size blinker unit.

Need to find more time to sort out the wife's car -- there is some sort of injector problem as well that rears its ugly head if you floor the gas pedal. We're a larger family now, so mostly going around in a VW T5, but she doesn't drive that and its nice for her to have a car for a run to the store. (I have a really worn out Octavia that is up for sale, the Alfa is definitely the nicer looking one, the paint job and upholstery definitely hold up better.)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The flasher relay is mounted on the stalk switch which needs to be dismounted to change the relay. I can't think of an advantage of moving this to the fuse box. It sounds like dirty switch contacts/defective relay.

Injector fault? Really needs plug in diagnostic capable of displaying live data. As it occurs at full throttle, I'd look at the data such as the maximum value the MAF produces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I screwed up. Found a replacement stalk unit in Lithuania, but by the time they got back to me, it was sold out. Looked on classifieds here in Slovakia, called a couple of guys, found one with the same stalk switches (no photo, just photo of the car), didn't realize that not all the stalk switches support the angle sensor thingy. 50€ down the drain (sent post, COD). I guess at least I can put it back up on the classifieds, and in the meanwhile use it to compare to my stalk unit, which I'll take apart again and try to figure out where contact isn't occuring. :disappointed:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well darnit. I decided to have a go at fixing the old one, finally found the wiring diagrams in the eLearn, tested out the old stalk indicator switch with a multimeter, and it works. Put in the Alfa brand blinker module that came with the used stalk unit, and everything works.

Only thing I can think is that when earlier I had taken it apart the first time, and tried with the after market module, that I didn't have everything inside quite right. Sort of requires 3 hands to put the stalk unit back together. I also this time sanded a bit the blinker contacts inside there for good measure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts