Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a look at the 3.2 GT 2006 model.
Black
Red leather interior - drivers side stich came loose.
80 000kms
Wildcat exhaust system exiting through 4 pipes
18's looks good with no scratches
FSH
1.5 years left on SA waranties
engine looks damn clean, too clean maybe.
had alternator and starter replaced.
No cambelts done - dad will have to do this.
Clutch is very stiff, but my GTi's clutch is so soft, and takes VERY LOW but takes all gears easily granted you fully depress the clutch...could it be slave/master cylinder? - we have him check this out.
Car was dinged on the left fender, so it will get new fender and be resprayed, will also respray the front end.

Other than that it goes well and I've seen or heard no other issues.

One thing, when I get past 6000rpm its almost as if the exhaust becomes louder for a split second then it cuts out...why?

Granted he fixes all these issues and gets the AA check I gave my dad the thumbs up...I think he's taking it.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
3.2 Clutch should be light. The thrust bearings tend to get sticky resulting in a hard clutch not fatal but irritating.
At that km the car worked so the clutch could do with a replacement.
80k replace the belt immediately do not even drive it for a week.

As for the exhaust sound well who knows is it fitted with branches as well or only a pipe.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TN - are you telling me I should say NO to the sale?Insurance is still dragging their feet with my dad's pay out, was supposed to be done today so that he can see how much he can give towards a deposit, last we heard is that someone must sign and then they'll send the details.

My dad planned on doin the cambelt service but the clutch now aswell?

Too much issues...I'll let it go.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No that's not what I am saying.
I am just saying be prepared and know that you will be spending a couple of rand.

K

·
0 Posts
Thats 20000km past suggested south african cambelt service. We have lower service intervals i understand due to dry climate and mine dust . This all adds to extra abbrasion not experienced anywhere else.
Most cambelt failures were recorded from alfa owners living in rustenberg area .
Clutch should be light but you are not paying a new car price so you should budget on these and then see if you want the car.
Probably got another 10 000km even more on clutch if there is no shuddering. Thats probably a wild guess based on my cars.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Probably got another 10 000km even more on clutch if there is no shuddering. Thats probably a wild guess based on my cars.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I have 87000km with some shuddering.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No we did not take the car too many issues...esp that clucth and owner was not willing to even have it checked out!

We then looked at a 159 2.2 and liked it but owner wants too much for it so we are back at looking for GT's.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ghostbuster is hopefully gona drive that black GT 3.2 today and then if the feedback is good we will proceed and purchase the car...that means a flight to CPT and a roadtrip back just me and my dad!!! oh yeah!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our resident Capetonian has car issues, he cannot see the car until he has a car, is there anyone else in CPT willing to PLS go check the car out for us, we have the dep and finance waiting, we jsut need confirmation that the car is all good and drives good with no susp noise etc etc???

I'll even pay for the petrol money to and fro pls... CPT guys...

he is in Gardens...

pls let me know asap

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If you are paying for the fuel I will go have a look Guili.:cheese:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts