Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having missed out on a V6 spider on here due to a **** up with my email program, I decided to widen my horizons as there aren't many (any!) V6s for sale at the moment in my price bracket, and try out a 2 litre. I would be grateful of any feedback that you may have.

There was one not too far away, 2000 reg 100k miles, Zoe yellow, great condition etc (the phrase stunning condition was used in the ad!), £1995. When we got there, there was a rip in the rear window, and the hood had wear where it goves over the 'hoops' (even though I had asked about the condition). Water had got into the laminations of the windscreen, leaving a white stain inside the window in one corner. The screen of the radio had been broken, and although the CD changer worked (sort of), the radio was stuck on radio 2. Internally, the drivers seat bolster and side of the seat was worn through to the 'grey' beneath, and the interior looked tired generally for example, the drivers arm rest had been torn off and just shoved back in place (and fell off every time that I moved).

The electric hood worked, but when it was being raised again, when it got to the end of it's cycle, the motor whirred and clicked away for quite a while to get the last half inch at the back into it's dowels. Even when fully raised, the drivers clip would not catch because there was still gap at the drivers side (but not at passenger's), and the hood corner had to be held down manually before the clip would locate. Is this normal, or is the hood on this one a bit tired??

Despite this, the car seemed pretty mechanically sound, so we took it out for a spin, and I would appreciate anybody's feedback:

This is the first Spider that I have driven, but we do have a Mark 3,2 litre MX5. The car didn't seem that 'urgent' at first, but at higher revs (4000rpm+) it did have a lot more go to it, is this normal for a Spider?? - it didn't really feel sluggish below 4000, just felt like a lack of power, if you know what I mean! It didn't seem to have the power and agility of the MX5, which quite suprised me, is this anydoby else's experience, or was the car that I test drove a bit af a dog? I was hoping to find the 2 litre spider nippy and agile (maybe to put me off my 3 litre idea!!)

Can the height of the seat be adjusted?

Sorry for such a long rambling post. As regards the condition, do you think that I am being unreasonable in my expections? I know that the car had 100k miles on the clock - which is all that the salesman would say when he was justifying what a 'good' condition it is in, but I don't personally that explains why the interior is tatty, and damaged, our MX5 has 71k on the clock and internally is almost like new, am I looking after it too well?? I don't think that the Spider is any less well put together, so it must be the way in which people treat them.

What sort of thing would you expect for the money?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'd imagine a MX5 is a good 150 to 200kg lighter than a Spider so that may be why it didn't feel as quick as the MX5 (I think they're both similar power outputs?)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The variator does its thing at 3,200 RPM. Under that and it could be described as docile. Keep it spinning over 3,200 ish for most smiles.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I have a Zoe Yellow TS Spider as well :)

The hood problem you mentioned is easily resolved by adjusting the pin that engages with the cover's motorised catch. It just needs a couple of spanners to loosen it off and move it so it engages easily and quickly. Mine was doing what you describe about every third time it was operated. Replacing the rear window is expensive, and needs to be factored into your price negotiation (sounds like you might want to price up the rest of the hood as well).

The other aspects of condition are disappointing but minor - seat wear can be repaired especially if it's black leather, armrest on door is easy to fix back in place - I guess if there are no other body/paint problems, that may be worth doing. There are probably better ones out there, though. Mine has 98,000km (60,000 miles) and I paid the equivalent of £5000 for it in August. Predictably the interior is in perfect condition :)

Seat height can be adjusted by removing spacers, though the seat has to come apart to do this (not too difficult), I recommend removing the spacers from the back of the rails only, tilts the seat backwards and makes it more supportive under legs.

I'm inclined to agree about the lack of performance. I have a 2.0TS 156 and I feel it performs more eagerly than my 2.0TS Spider - the Spider is quite smooth but generally reluctant to go, especially below 4000RPM. My 156 pulls smoothly through the whole rev range. My Spider had a replacement airflow meter (for the previous owner) to improve its 'flat' performance. For something that looks like a sports car, it's only adequate power... about like having a 1.6 in a 156, I reckon. I have also driven a 1.6 MX5 and while not powerful, it does feel a bit more willing. Lots of cars are faster - my old 164, for example.

I think if performance is a concern you need to stick with your search for a V6 model, but do be careful of the price (over here, they are nearly twice as much) and the fuel consumption (again, twice as much). Even in NZ, the insurance costs more.

You also need to test-drive a V6 Spider or three (I've driven four) because the steering and handling is different again to the TS. I was surprised by how lairy they can be when the body flex combines with the engine's torque.

I'm currently interested in buying a V6 GTV. It is half the price that my Spider was, and while not quite the same condition-wise, it does have the performance. I'm even considering doing a wholesale swap of mechanicals to turn my Spider into a V6. But at the same time, I think the general consensus is that the bigger engine suits the GTV better than the Spider. 'EVO' magazine ran a review of the last (phase 3) Spider and GTV which I thought was quite telling - they found that the GTV was the driver's car, and the Spider with softened suspension and compromised bodyshell was really just for enjoying a cruise.

-Alex

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
2k for a spider with 100k on the clock, walk away bud

make sure the belts have been done on the ts as it every 3yrs or 30k miles, it took a while to get used to my ts as your do have to high rev them but they are good fun :thumbs:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Too expensive, even if it was in far better condition than you describe.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you really want a V6 then I would be inclined to wait for one to come up. Otherwise you may always be wondering what it would have been like. I knew I wanted the V6 so waited for the right one to come up for sale and I didn't even test drive a TS. The V6 is very fast and handling is fine IMO.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If it hasn't been cared for inside and out, and it sounds like it's been abused from your desciption, I'd very much doubt the mechanics have been well cared for. I'd walk away personally.

M

·
0 Posts
£2K for what sounds like a bit of a wreck is too much.

If you want a wreck, spend £600. For £2K I would expect everything to be pretty much perfect and no damage/faults. If the car is in the state you say, I bet the belts have been neglected which is a godd few hundred quid straight away if you can't do it yourself.

The 2litre Mazda is also slightly more powerful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to hang on for a half decent V6 after all. I only really want it for a bit of fun, as I said earlier, but now I have had a look around I can see that it may end up being more than just a cheap bit of fun:)
I think, as has been suggested, that if I settle for a cheap 2 litre, I'll always be yearning for a V6 anyway. I'm not sure where I'll store one yet, but i'll cross that bridge when I get to it;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to hang on for a half decent V6 after all. I only really want it for a bit of fun, as I said earlier, but now I have had a look around I can see that it may end up being more than just a cheap bit of fun:)
I think, as has been suggested, that if I settle for a cheap 2 litre, I'll always be yearning for a V6 anyway. I'm not sure where I'll store one yet, but i'll cross that bridge when I get to it;)
Good choice, the V6 is one hell of a car for the money :cool:

There are some good examples on eBay at the moment :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts