Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to test drive a Mito 155bhp Lusso this week. It's in a 'Fiat' garage a '09 with 18K at a resonable price. It's White in colour but I have yet to see it in the flesh. I was looking to buy an Abarth 500 but have decided against it for the moment. My missus drives a '09 Mito 1.6MJ Veloce and I was a little uncomfortable getting the same car but as I'm a petrol head I would expect to prefer the drive of the TJ to be better even if it is a lot less economic particularly in the hotter spec.
I would appreciate any advice as to what to look for in this car. Priced at €9,995 and it's advertised as an approved car with a 12 month warranty. Got the impression that the UK had a 5 year warranty - unsure what warranty was in place in '09 here in Ireland for the mito.
Have been driving a Fiat 500 1.4, the sport model in 2010 and the lounge model in 2011 but was not over the moon about an average 35-37mpg with so so performance. So if I got a little less mpg and a lot more oompg in the 155bhp I would be a happy camper.
Can anyone confirm if the 6 speed in the Mito 155 is the same one from the Bravo / GP / PuntoEvo (is the 6th gear higher than the 5th on the 120) and if the turbo is the IHI VL 37 which is the same as the Abarth 500.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
87,027 Posts
Hi & Welcome to AO :thumbs:

There was a 3 year warranty ( 2 year manafacturer, 3rd year Dealer ) on new Alfas in sold in Ireland & the UK, the 5 year warranty ( 5 year manafacturer ) has only just come into effect from 2012 in Ireland, it's still a 3 year warranty in the UK AFAIK.

As for what to look out for, have a very close look at at paintwork for the dreaded stonechip issue which effected many cars, possibly not as big an issue on White though. Hopefully someone else can help with some more of your questions.

PS Drop in & say hello to the locals http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/republic-of-ireland/ :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi & Welcome to AO :thumbs:

There was a 3 year warranty ( 2 year manafacturer, 3rd year Dealer ) on new Alfas in sold in Ireland & the UK, the 5 year warranty ( 5 year manafacturer ) has only just come into effect from 2012 in Ireland, it's still a 3 year warranty in the UK AFAIK.

As for what to look out for, have a very close look at at paintwork for the dreaded stonechip issue which effected many cars, possibly not as big an issue on White though. Hopefully someone else can help with some more of your questions.

PS Drop in & say hello to the locals Republic of Ireland - Alfa Romeo Forum :)
Thanks for that link. :thumbs:
I got some of the small print on the new 5 year warranty but it is only from the first 3 months of 2012.
I was into the dealer part of the warranty on the 500 and it was a bit wobbly.
Soft paint was an issue on the passodola red on the 500s but the OHs mito has a few on her Alfa Red. At least with the white if I end up getting it it should be easy to touch up.
The white one that's advertised is a Lusso with B&Me. Got used to the B&Me on the 500 and I thought it was great althought it had its moments. Looking through the Forum I picked up that the differences between the Veloce & the Lusso was an armrest, bigger wheels & B&Me and possibly different fabric on the seat ? So if this Lusso has the B&Me it would be great and I'm happy enough with the smaller wheels after the shock of replacing the 17s tyres on the OH last month at 34K (Pirelli P0s)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also check for knocking/creaky front suspension due to the top mounts, listen out at low speeds. You will love the extra oomph, plus I average 39 mpg but I do drive conservatively.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that tip.:thumbs:
The OHs suspension is a bit thrashy sometimes - not to sure if its the 17s. Did read somewhere that the suspension got revised a bit like the one on the Punto Evo but not too sure when that happened. On the 155 is the suspension supped up over the 120 ?
Does the 155 have the Brembos and if it has how do they fit over the 16s on the Lusso spec ?
Encouraging to see your average mpg. A lot better compared to what I could get on a 500 1.4

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Have been driving a Fiat 500 1.4, the sport model in 2010 and the lounge model in 2011 but was not over the moon about an average 35-37mpg with so so performance. So if I got a little less mpg and a lot more oompg in the 155bhp I would be a happy camper.
You should get similar fuel economy with the TB155, but it can get up to 40mpg - entirely depending on how/where you drive. One thing is for sure Alfa Romeos are 'drivers cars'. In terms of performance, it 'feels' like a much larger car, like a 2.0litre. It's very pokey indeed, if not a little sharp on the throttle (but then that's part of the raw appeal), the TB155 is definitely one to scratch the 'petrol head' itch, and it is one quick little motor.

Sounds like a good price, take it for a drive - I'm sure you'll fall in love with it as it steals your heart.

*Without heart we would be mere machines*

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should get similar fuel economy with the TB155, but it can get up to 40mpg - entirely depending on how/where you drive. One thing is for sure Alfa Romeos are 'drivers cars'. In terms of performance, it 'feels' like a much larger car, like a 2.0litre. It's very pokey indeed, if not a little sharp on the throttle (but then that's part of the raw appeal), the TB155 is definitely one to scratch the 'petrol head' itch, and it is one quick little motor.

Sounds like a good price, take it for a drive - I'm sure you'll fall in love with it as it steals your heart.

*Without heart we would be mere machines*
That's re-assuring to see that you can get up to 40mpg. I was expecting to get in the high 20s with possibly 40 on the motorway at c. 80mph in 'N'. If you use 'D' can you get good mileage if you 'feather' the throttle using the extra boost as opposed to using more throttle ?

My OH had her Mito 're-called' about a year ago and from another thread realised that the 'mod' was done for a drain pipe - something to do with the alternator and not having a timing belt snap. It is probably something that I should ask of the dealer if this 'work' has been carried out.

How would the drivers of the Mitos particularily the 155 describe themselves as - would you be spirited drivers and would you be into changing the shocks to Koni FSDs, BMC air filter or using a plug in TMC chip that a lot of A500 drivers are using ?

Recently the OH had to carry 3 on the back seat and found no lap belt for the 'middle' passenger. We had somehow had thought that the car would take 5. In the Panda when they had split seats it 'dropped' from 3 passengers to 2 on the rear but given that the Mito back seat is not split as standard can one buy an extra belt ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah the suspension is harsh which you will find yourself if you test drive, not sure if the 17's make it worse. I think the suspension was revised late 2010.

Mines a veloce with 17's so I don't know how they fit under the smaller rims.

I am a spirited driver when the conditions and location are right, but I'm mostly going to and from work so it doesnt get a thrashing. When funds permit I will definately be looking at suspension, and possibly a visit to autolusso to get a hybrid turbo. 200bhp would be fun.

The OHs suspension is a bit thrashy sometimes - not to sure if its the 17s. Did read somewhere that the suspension got revised a bit like the one on the Punto Evo but not too sure when that happened. On the 155 is the suspension supped up over the 120 ?
Does the 155 have the Brembos and if it has how do they fit over the 16s on the Lusso spec ?
Encouraging to see your average mpg. A lot better compared to what I could get on a 500 1.4

·
Registered
352 Posts
Recently the OH had to carry 3 on the back seat and found no lap belt for the 'middle' passenger. We had somehow had thought that the car would take 5. In the Panda when they had split seats it 'dropped' from 3 passengers to 2 on the rear but given that the Mito back seat is not split as standard can one buy an extra belt ?
AFAIK all Mito's so far are equipped as standard with a rear bench seat for only 2 people,
a split rear seat with three belts was an option (though probably one of the more popular
ones)

Check any used Mito spec. carefully if this is important to you!

Chris

M

·
0 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the 6 speed in the Mito 155 is the same one from the Bravo / GP / PuntoEvo (is the 6th gear higher than the 5th on the 120) and if the turbo is the IHI VL 37 which is the same as the Abarth 500.
Many thanks in advance.
....We have both the 155 & 120 engines and the ratio for 5th and 6th on the respective boxes is exactly the same, 25mph per 1000rpm. As for fuel econ. both will return between 38-35mpg. 40 is possible but only if you really want to get 40mpg.

The suspension is the same on both models, and whilst the 16"s may offer slightly better ride quality than the 17"s, the difference is marginal IMO. (I haven't noticed any significant difference between Mitos on 16"s, 17"s or 18"s to be honest.)

The 155 does have bigger brakes than the 120, but in every-day driving the brakes on the 120 are just fine. The suspension has been revised but only for the very latest 135 MA distinctive models (KONI set-up) and Mito QV's.

Yeah the suspension is harsh which you will find yourself if you test drive, not sure if the 17's make it worse. I think the suspension was revised late 2010.

Mines a veloce with 17's so I don't know how they fit under the smaller rims.

I am a spirited driver when the conditions and location are right, but I'm mostly going to and from work so it doesnt get a thrashing. When funds permit I will definately be looking at suspension, and possibly a visit to autolusso to get a hybrid turbo. 200bhp would be fun.
They fit fine under the 16"s as far as I know. The ride is quite firm and at town speeds sometimes I do wish the car was abit smoother. Its nothing you can't live with though and does not make me regret buying the car. I pretty much love it:thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the suspension is harsh ...I think the suspension was revised late 2010.
....When funds permit I will definately be looking at suspension, and possibly a visit to autolusso to get a hybrid turbo. 200bhp would be fun.
Reading an article on the Mito 155 in CAR magazine September 2008 and they gave it the :thumbs:. It mentioned that the Mito had no ARB but has a secondary set of coils...
'most notable is the addition of dampers that feature secondary coils fitted within the tubes. The first part of the stroke involves only the main spring, the secondary spriong coming into play only with the longer travel...'. I can only assume that this setup is to allow for the DNA settings. Thanks for the date of the revised suspension.:thumbs:

Re the hybrid turbo some on the Fiat Forum in the Bravos have changed the turbo from an IHI to a Garret (the same as the GPA) to get a reliable 180bhp but it also involved changing the manifold. For the A500 drivers this wasn't an option unless the gearbox was changed to the 'GP' 6 speed from the Alfa 147 box and that involved losing the AC unit.

AFAIK all Mito's so far are equipped as standard with a rear bench seat for only 2 people, a split rear seat with three belts was an option (though probably one of the more popular ones)

Check any used Mito spec. carefully if this is important to you!

Chris
Thanks for clarifying that Chris. :thumbs: From the ones that I have looked at - none seem to have the split rear seats and when I checked the list price at £450 I could see why they weren't speced. I wonder is there a 'work around' on fitting a 3rd seat belt as opposed to a lap belt. Althought it might got a bit complicated with the insurance guys on 'modifications'.:(

....We have both the 155 & 120 engines and the ratio for 5th and 6th on the respective boxes is exactly the same, 25mph per 1000rpm. As for fuel econ. both will return between 38-35mpg. 40 is possible but only if you really want to get 40mpg.

The suspension is the same on both models, and whilst the 16"s may offer slightly better ride quality than the 17"s, the difference is marginal IMO. (I haven't noticed any significant difference between Mitos on 16"s, 17"s or 18"s to be honest.)

The 155 does have bigger brakes than the 120, but in every-day driving the brakes on the 120 are just fine. The suspension has been revised but only for the very latest 135 MA distinctive models (KONI set-up) and Mito QV's.

They fit fine under the 16"s as far as I know. The ride is quite firm and at town speeds sometimes I do wish the car was abit smoother. Its nothing you can't live with though and does not make me regret buying the car. I pretty much love it:thumbs:
Thanks for clarifying the top gear. :thumbs: I like the etna black from your avatar and from memory it looks good in the flesh. Did you get any flak for family on having 2 mitos ?
From a thread on the FF it mentioned that the Bravo used a different spec IHI turbo a VL36 for the 150bhp and a VL38 for the 120bhp (there seems to be a bit of confusion judging by a thread on here if it is the other way around) but the 'bigger' turbo the VL36 is marginally more capable of running a bit more boost than the VL37 speced turbo for the 120/155 and the A500. In relation to the brakes on the 155 I thought it might have the Brembos but I was probably confusing this model with the Cloverleaf (a higher spec model) which can't take 16 inch wheels. When you say that the 155 has bigger brakes I take it that you mean bigger discs ? I have a set of 15 inch steelies off a Stilo (PCD 4 x 98) with a 38 offset and I was hoping to use them on the mito as a set of winter tyres but I'm guessing they may not fit.:(
Re the Koni setups I assume you're referring to the Koni FSD which apparently are a must fit on a A500. On the Mito given that it has a more sensible wheel base I suppose they would be a 'nice to have'. Would they improve the fidgetness that the OHs mito sometimes gets ?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
In relation to the brakes on the 155 I thought it might have the Brembos but I was probably confusing this model with the Cloverleaf
No, the TB155 has the Brembo 4 pots as well! And believe me that stopping power has got me out of a couple of very near misses. There isn't that much difference between the QV (except Multi Air engine, adaptive suspension, a badge and about 15bhp. TBH the TB155 performs just as well, and is probably more customisable (being based on the Fiat T-Jet engine).

·
Registered
375 Posts
No, the TB155 has the Brembo 4 pots as well! And believe me that stopping power has got me out of a couple of very near misses. There isn't that much difference between the QV (except Multi Air engine, adaptive suspension, a badge and about 15bhp. TBH the TB155 performs just as well, and is probably more customisable (being based on the Fiat T-Jet engine).
The 15bhp between the QV and the 155 is not that noticable you can tell there is more shove in the QV but its not a massive OMG feeling. The 155 engine is based on the F.I.R.E engine that was used in the older punto gt turbos so it is very tunable and quite reliable the newer multiair engine has potential but because its new its not very tunable YET. I didnt notice much of a difference with suspension on both the QV and 155 both had harsh crashy rides (test drive on really bad derbyshire roads) but the QV has a shorter gearstick and the steering did feel slightly better. Why the dealers dont fully explain that the 155 has brembos is beyond me? i couldnt remember seeing it on any sale spec sheet and the salesman never said it had 4 pot brembos. It was only untill i saw the car and properly looked round it i noticed the huge brembos:lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
The space saver for all trim levels is the same I believe, 16 inch wheels do fit over the bigger brakes on the QV at least, as I have 16 inch winter tyres on mine now, all be it with a 5% smaller rolling radius

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the top gear. :thumbs: I like the etna black from your avatar and from memory it looks good in the flesh. Did you get any flak for family on having 2 mitos ?
From a thread on the FF it mentioned that the Bravo used a different spec IHI turbo a VL36 for the 150bhp and a VL38 for the 120bhp (there seems to be a bit of confusion judging by a thread on here if it is the other way around) but the 'bigger' turbo the VL36 is marginally more capable of running a bit more boost than the VL37 speced turbo for the 120/155 and the A500. In relation to the brakes on the 155 I thought it might have the Brembos but I was probably confusing this model with the Cloverleaf (a higher spec model) which can't take 16 inch wheels. When you say that the 155 has bigger brakes I take it that you mean bigger discs ? I have a set of 15 inch steelies off a Stilo (PCD 4 x 98) with a 38 offset and I was hoping to use them on the mito as a set of winter tyres but I'm guessing they may not fit.:(
Re the Koni setups I assume you're referring to the Koni FSD which apparently are a must fit on a A500. On the Mito given that it has a more sensible wheel base I suppose they would be a 'nice to have'. Would they improve the fidgetness that the OHs mito sometimes gets ?
Its just the standard black actually, some better photos are on this thread towards the bottom:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/284086-monte-carlo-in-a-mito.html

Not flak as such, but the difference between the 120 and 155 is interesting. The 155 belongs to my father and he has added a chip-tuning box, which has made the performance on that particular Mito feel alot more rapid than mine. Before there was a difference, but it wasn't huge. Under the bonet both look identical, and the only difference is a bigger turbo as far as i'm aware.

The 155 has bigger disks and calipers regardless of version (lusso or veloce), and the Koni' set-up is supposed to be better on, although personally I haven't driven a Mito with it fitted.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Have had the FSD's on a 135 for nearly a year :inlove: They have transformed the ride and when pushed you can really feel the difference :thumbs:

I was told ( by 2 UK dealers ) that retrofitting split seat with 3rd seatbelt was a no no due to differing locators. If you find a "splity " be aware they are Euro style , Small seat behind driver, only an issue if driver is tall.

Happy Hunting , the Mito is a real pocket rocket :thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Understand that the Brembos give great stopping power. It's great to hear that they are standard on the TB155. Got an old brochure from an Alfa / Fiat garage yesterday and it lists both the 155 & 120 as having Ventilated 305x28 D. fixed aluminum caliper with 40mm pistons. But then brochures are often wrong :confused: and that maybe that's why there was some confusion from the dealers as to what brakes the Mito 155 had.

The 15bhp between the QV and the 155 is not that noticable you can tell there is more shove in the QV but its not a massive OMG feeling. The 155 engine is based on the F.I.R.E engine that was used in the older punto gt turbos so it is very tunable and quite reliable the newer multiair engine has potential but because its new its not very tunable YET. I didnt notice much of a difference with suspension on both the QV and 155 both had harsh crashy rides (test drive on really bad derbyshire roads) but the QV has a shorter gearstick and the steering did feel slightly better. Why the dealers dont fully explain that the 155 has brembos is beyond me? i couldnt remember seeing it on any sale spec sheet and the salesman never said it had 4 pot brembos. It was only untill i saw the car and properly looked round it i noticed the huge brembos:lol:
My understanding is that the IHI turbo is really maxed (since its exceeding its rated 135bhp). IMHO if I was looking at increasing the bhp on a TB155 I would consider an induction kit or a Monza type exhaust (if it exists i.e. a variable pressure back box) to ensure that the life of the turbo is not shortened by running addional boost. On the A500 the induction gives another 10bhp and the Monza 12bhp at mid-range and 5bhp at the top end. If the multi-air has the Garrett (the new North American Abarth 500 is using this) this can take a higher boost without shortening its life - understand that it will take between 1.3-1.5 bar whilst the IHI VL37 is maxed out at 1.2 bar (this equates to 160bhp on the A500).

Multispoke, it's a pity your not closer as we are selling ours. Although think of the fun you could have driving it home!

Alfa Romeo Classifieds - Auctions - Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 16v 155 TB Veloce - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Nice looking car. Same spec as the OHs Veloce with the Alfa red and the B&M. Best of luck with the sale.:thumbs:

The space saver for all trim levels is the same I believe, 16 inch wheels do fit over the bigger brakes on the QV at least, as I have 16 inch winter tyres on mine now, all be it with a 5% smaller rolling radius
Did come across another thread on the Alfa forum
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/241534-mito-alloy-wheels.html
where another guy couldn't get a set of 16 inch winter wheels to fit over his brembos...
Yep, I already bought me a set of 16 wheels, only to find out they wouldn't fit over the ruddy calipers. It seems they require something like ET35 to fit there proper (the wheels where ET42) and apparently original Mito are ET39? Of course, it's not just about the ET number, the general design of the Wheel 'spokes' and how they curve affects this a lot.

What offset are your wheels ? There's a woman on the FF who is looking to get a set of 16 wheels to fit on a Grand Punto Abarth put has had trouble finding a set that would fit. GPA uses a PCD of 4x100 which is different to the Mitos 4x98. Got the impression that you would have to use smaller offset and then use spacers but it was getting a bit messy. Wheel design seems to be important and that the Lusso wheel must have a specific shape that allows them to clear the calipers in that size. Are you using steelies or alloys ?

Its just the standard black actually, some better photos are on this thread towards the bottom:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/284086-monte-carlo-in-a-mito.html

Not flak as such, but the difference between the 120 and 155 is interesting. The 155 belongs to my father and he has added a chip-tuning box, which has made the performance on that particular Mito feel alot more rapid than mine. Before there was a difference, but it wasn't huge. Under the bonet both look identical, and the only difference is a bigger turbo as far as i'm aware.

The 155 has bigger disks and calipers regardless of version (lusso or veloce), and the Koni' set-up is supposed to be better on, although personally I haven't driven a Mito with it fitted.
Thanks for that link. I was in Monaco on the October bank holiday weekend and saw a lot of very nice cars. Looks like you had a very special and memorable round trip. It's a pity the toll costs are so expensive.
Re the turbo being bigger got the impression that there was only one sized turbo for both models of the Mito i.e. IHI RH3 VL37 so it might just be the difference in boost and the hotter cams. The compression ratio on the engine seems the same on both engines at 9.8:1. That tuning box your Dad is using is that a TMC by any chance ? If so it could be transferred to your car to even the score.:)
RE the brakes - can you confirm what size the brake discs are on the 120 and are the brake calipers different to your dads.

Many thanks to you all for your responses :thumbs:. I went over to the garage on Tuesday on my lunch hour to be told that the car wasn't in yet :(. The owner is trading in 'her' mito for a Giulietta but her new car has not arrived yet. They hope to have it next week. Salesperson re-assured me that even though its 'just' the Lusso spec it does have B&Me but I wouldn't believe it until I see it. I'm still 50/50 on Mito. I got a bit of a slanging from the in-laws about copying the OHs car despite sourcing her original 147 & then the mito as a replacement. It will all come down to the test drive and if it does it for me.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Salesperson re-assured me that even though its 'just' the Lusso spec it does have B&Me but I wouldn't believe it until I see it.
Nope, I doubt it. The standard Lusso spec doesn't include Blue & Me, it would have to be a Veloce unless it was put in as an optional extra (if it's even an option for the Lusso - I can't remember). :(

And the Brembo brakes on the TB155 are different to the brakes on the TB120.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nope, I doubt it. The standard Lusso spec doesn't include Blue & Me, it would have to be a Veloce unless it was put in as an optional extra (if it's even an option for the Lusso - I can't remember). :(
Blue & Me was definitely on the options list for the Lusso, as it was one I decided
against (I'm a boring old fart who hardly ever uses a phone...)

It was also an option on Turismo, but that also required the steering wheel upgrade
to provide the remote audio controls.

Not surprisingly, there aren't many Turismo's around!

Chris

1 - 20 of 34 Posts