Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had a ride in a Tesla yesterday - my first and also first time in an American car. Very impressive piece of kit. Full charge takes 30 minutes at the local Sainsburys and it's free - do it while you're doing the shopping! 220 miles on a charge and bloody hell, the thing's fast; 0-60 in 5 seconds and this is a big, heavy 5 seater. I personally think it's a beautiful shape and it feels well put together and incredibly quiet. Spooky experience - definitely a glimpse into the future of motoring. It even updates itself automatically from the factory so you've always got the latest software enhancements that they come up with.

Just needs the right badge on the front......

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Tesla will become a "right badge" within 10 years.

It is already seen as a prestige marque in the US.

;)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Trouble is if I shelled out for a Tesla I wouldn't have anyting left to go shopping. The claimed range for electic cars, I understand is in ideal conditions. If you have to turn on the lights, wipers, heater, radio, etc the range then plummets. Even on a 220 mile range I couldn't get to my Dad's without a recharge for the last 35 or so miles.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
When I test drove a Nissan Leaf (more out of curiosity than desire to actually purchase) the real world range was woeful - about 40 miles. On that I could actually manage for about 70% of the journeys I do. BUT I would still need an IC reliable car for the other 30% of the time so it just doesn't add up.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Yes, very quick, but financial suicide at current prices.

A moderately specced one will cost about £900 a month, with a £23k deposit. Or you could just plonk down £75k. Really doesn't make sense to save £200 a month in petrol costs.

At £30k it starts to make sense, but then you only get a Nissan Leaf.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Yes, very quick, but financial suicide at current prices.

A moderately specced one will cost about £900 a month, with a £23k deposit. Or you could just plonk down £75k. Really doesn't make sense to save £200 a month in petrol costs.

At £30k it starts to make sense, but then you only get a Nissan Leaf.
If you go onto the Tesla congurator you'll find options for bik plus savings on congestion charge and fuel. If you're not in London and getting it as a company car the Tesla appears expensive but put any government incentives into the pot with tax benefits and it makes sense. A neighbour who has an S explained it was not much more than getting another loaded 3series Touring. He now charges it up with a wire from the letter box quite regularly despite his hopes for supercharge points etc

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Very expensive car but a real experience. Terrific performance and not too bad looking. Interior not really up to premium levels though IMHO. Self-steering is a bit eerie, but I could get used to it. A bit big for UK roads really.

A mate had his delivered a few weeks ago and let me have a drive of it. Would I buy one? If I was in the market for a car of that price, I would definitely consider it.

Now, when the Model 3 comes out...if the UK price is a bit more realistic...who knows? :)

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
"The price" is irrelevant!
There are incentives that make its cost equivalent to most cars £30000 less in list price; company car tax and government incentives.
However Denmark had the same situation until the end of last year which made them very popular. December was panic time in Denmark to get Teslas registered in time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
These are going to kill off the combustion energy pretty rapidly I think. They will certainly make ordinary cars seem pedestrian. Their acceleration is absolutely phenomenal. The insane mode has been time at 2.6 seconds to 60!:alien: I wonder will governments put caps on their performance. If everyone is driving cars in a few years that are as quick as Bugatti Veyrons to 60 and 100 mph then it is bound to result in some colossal accidents.

Id imagine it would actually be really easy to hit a pedestrian using insane mode. Someone could easily walk out in front of one because a) they dont expect it to be going so quickly and b) they cant hear it coming. Its hard to miss a ICE car that can do those kind of performance figures coming right at you!

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Having said that service visits are virtually unnecessary, Tesla then offers a service contract for £1800 for four years?
Even brakes require less looking after as they are regenerative and there's no engine etc.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I don't think electric cars loaded with 5 million batteries will replace the internal combustion engine. Hydrogen on the other hand.

I like pretty cars which often includes fast cars. No real desire for a Tesla.

Fancy an i8 though.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Having said that service visits are virtually unnecessary, Tesla then offers a service contract for £1800 for four years?
Even brakes require less looking after as they are regenerative and there's no engine etc.
This made me laugh. When I asked my mate what the service contract was for, he just looked a bit sheepish and said "Oh, they have to check some things...or something" :jester:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Wait until the batteries need replacing after 4 or 5 years. See what that does to residuals

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
I don't think electric cars loaded with 5 million batteries will replace the internal combustion engine. Hydrogen on the other hand.
Hydrogen blah blah blah.

Battery technology is improving quite remarkably. The bigger battery available for the S gets a rated 320 miles between charges. Just double the capacity and that's 640 miles. Triple and you'll get from Land's End to John o'Groats. The future isn't hydrogen; it's battery.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Hydrogen blah blah blah.

Battery technology is improving quite remarkably. The bigger battery available for the S gets a rated 320 miles between charges. Just double the capacity and that's 640 miles. Triple and you'll get from Land's End to John o'Groats. The future isn't hydrogen; it's battery.
I agree that this is probably the future but battery technology just has not been improving that fast. It has been very slow to improve in terms of capacity per volume/weight.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Hydrogen blah blah blah.

But the neighbour just drives in and around London and gets range anxiety in a week!
That range is for continuous use at 55mph or so without putting your foot down or entering the real world.

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
I agree that this is probably the future but battery technology just has not been improving that fast. It has been very slow to improve in terms of capacity per volume/weight.
Research into automotive battery technology is only really starting to ramp up with the growing availability of electric vehicles and more stringent environmental controls. I'm regularly reading reports claiming to double capacity, slash charge time and extend life. I'll be very surprised if capacity isn't at least doubled in the next five years.

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
But the neighbour just drives in and around London and gets range anxiety in a week!
That range is for continuous use at 55mph or so without putting your foot down or entering the real world.
He bought the wrong car since he's not able to easily recharge when home.

Anyway, the point is that batteries will improve and so will range.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts