Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in need of new wiper blades I've usually gone for the genuine article on previous cars and being 'in the trade' had a substantial discount on what can be an expensive consumable/service item.
Out of curiosity I had a browse thru the catalogue attached to the shelf in my local Halfords, found 159 wiper blades, only to find that they don't stock them on the shelf 'special order only' or words to that effect. Pfft.:wow:

While doing a 'big shop' in Tesco last week I had a mooch thru the motoring bit to find that they now do a new range of flat wiper blades like on the 159, £3.00 each :D, so I thought i'd give 'em a try.

They are a bit of a fiddle to fit compared to the genuine Alfa ones, but work well:thumbs:

I'll keep yo'all posted on the performance, 3 days in, so far, so good.

BTW, I havn't priced Alfa blades, anyone got a price???

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just had to get a Bosch Aero one fitted this week on the front driver's side and it was £15.50 so I guess £30 a pair would be about right. In this cold weather, the rubber blade suddenly bowed outwards (despite the passenger one being fine) leaving an unclear patch right in my line of vision. It has lasted 15 months though to be fair.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I bought some non-Alfa replacement blades just before Christmas (for Australian members, they are a local company called "Tridon Flexblade", available from Autopro).

I can't remember exactly how much they were but they were a LOT cheaper than the genuine Alfa product and work as well if not better.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So..................
My Tesco ones are real good at £6.00 for the pair then :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tries the tesco blades but the fitting is fiddly and they look tacky because you have to fit an adapter to them in order to get them onto the wiper arm. Has anyone tried replacing just the rubber part of the blade?

Bosch Wiper Blades | Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4000 2008 | BuyPartsBy

I have dismantled an original fit blade and it would be easy enough to slide in a new rubber, but I haven't tried ordering a pair of these yet.

N

·
0 Posts
I'd have some of those as after a summer here the blades get ****ed.
So you have to buy a new set almost every 12 months!

;)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The 159 has specific fit wiper blades, only Bosch make them the right size and curve, most people sell you a set that are slightly shorter.

Wiper Blades.co.uk do the right Bosch Aero Twin's for about £25.00, and you will see the big yellow panel on teh side for fit applications is blank....except for 'Alfa 159 2005-' - they dont fot anything else, also no fiddling, they just drop into the pins.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I suppose you unlucky folk in the UK have to replace blades often as they have to work overtime :lol: I haven't replaced blades on my Punto in 3 years!

Anyway, my rear blade on the Brera was a bit torn, so was replaced under motorplan, but they replaced the whole wiper arm?? and not just the blade, is this normal?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hmm my blades are fine after 3.5 years and 24,500 miles. But then the car is garaged most of the time so out of the elements. I wonder if this makes all the difference?

N

·
0 Posts
The 159 has specific fit wiper blades, only Bosch make them the right size and curve, most people sell you a set that are slightly shorter.
Got Specific Valeos for the 159.

VM357. Box is marked specifically as 159/Brera/Spider.

;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I originally bought a pair of £10 "premium" blades delivered from ebay - utter utter rubbish.

Left streaks and squeaked like hell - got a full refund.

Then bought genuine bosch from ebay at £21 delivered, what a difference. Wouldn't waste my time with the cheaper blades, you generally can't get away with them on a Brera IMO.

In fact from here...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130432244670

They are advertised as A085S but are in fact the more expensive and more recent AM23U and AM18U. I was initially frustrated as I wanted to avoid the new multiclip system bulk but in reality I like the slight extra height on the clip and the embossed Bosch logo :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hmm my blades are fine after 3.5 years and 24,500 miles. But then the car is garaged most of the time so out of the elements. I wonder if this makes all the difference?
Sure it does make a difference, but whether exposed or not, rubber still deteriorates, but will do so slower if garaged, especially because of the sun/heat.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Got my Bosche wiper blades from e-bay £20 and they fit like a glove

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE!!!!!

FAILED!!!!!!

Yesterday morning, car was iced over, did the usual start-up, let it warm thru a bit while giving the windows a cursory squirt of de-icer, jump in, belt on, dab the wiper stalk to clear the now-starting to defrost/mist screen and off comes the left wiper blade:eek:
Thankfully no scratches or harm done to the screen, and having anticipated this might happen the old ones were in the boot, so popped 'em back on for now.
Guess what i'll be buying as a replacement:D

Tesco, We all know 'Every Little Helps' but when it comes to wiper blades you get what you pay for, I know, i've tested them for myself and for and on behalf of my fellow Alfisti.

Thanks, but No Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you cant beat the bosch aerotwins, had mine for nearly three years and 32k miles. car not garaged and the blades are still clearing the screen perfectly and showing no signs of deteriation!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts