Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put a months worth of this stuff in my 150 MA Sprint, she picks up as cleanly & goes faster than the 'posh' Shell petrol I normally use, the consumption is a little worse but the fuel is cheaper.
Has anyone else used this fuel for longer than I have & have there been any ill effects?

·
Registered
37,916 Posts
The worse fuel consumption is likely because Momentum has a higher proportion of Bio-Ethanol.

It raises the octane rating but as it has a lower calorific value the engine will use more of it.

I think Shell V power still only have 5% Bio-ethanol content where as Momentum is 10%

·
Registered
30,093 Posts
The worse fuel consumption is likely because Momentum has a higher proportion of Bio-Ethanol.

It raises the octane rating but as it has a lower calorific value the engine will use more of it.

I think Shell V power still only have 5% Bio-ethanol content where as Momentum is 10%
Momentum is 5% Ethanol, which is the maximum as per the current UK regs.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've put a months worth of this stuff in my 150 MA Sprint, she picks up as cleanly & goes faster than the 'posh' Shell petrol I normally use, the consumption is a little worse but the fuel is cheaper.
Has anyone else used this fuel for longer than I have & have there been any ill effects?
Until recently, I've never seen any worthwhile performance/cost benefit in using 99 or 100 fuel. My logic being that there would have a significant difference in the fuel's calorific value or the engine would need to be more efficient with the better fuel, for the extra cost to be worthwhile.

I'm content to use Morrison's or ASDA's ordinary in my MiTo QV.

However my Giulia Quadrifoglio is different, I believe that deserves the better fuel. I normally use Shell. I really doubt whether Tesco's is generally better than Shell's, but I've not tried it.

Across Europe Shell's V-Power Octane value, according to what's written on the pumps, ranges between 98 and 100 depending which country you're in. This week I found, it was 100 in Switzerland and 98 in Luxembourg.

To me the more interesting fuel parameter is calorific value, but petrol companies never seem to publish that.

Andy

Reactions: Saintfunny

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can certainly say with conviction that Tesco standard fuel is not very good in terms of economy, both petrol and diesel. Not that long ago I was doing exactly the same route to Devon, the south coast and Worcester every week with exactly the same type of driving at the same times of day in exactly the same type of traffic each time. I did this for over 2 years in that vehicle and continued for a few years more having exactly the same experience in a diesel Toyota. In my diesel Subaru forester I could get nearly 600 miles to a tank with standard shell diesel. With Tesco diesel, every single time, I was lucky to get 500. It's the same with my partner's petrol Honda civic. She can do nearly 500 miles to a tank on standard shell and lucky to do 420 miles on Tesco, again exactly the same driving style and same route every month. I've only put shell in my Launch Edition G so far and probably don't need to try anything else.

I know a lot of people say there's absolutely no difference between shell and Tesco etc because the fuel is delivered from the same tanker so how can there be, but over 2 years of evidence suggests otherwise.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

I know a lot of people say there's absolutely no difference between shell and Tesco etc because the fuel is delivered from the same tanker so how can there be, but over 2 years of evidence suggests otherwise.
My guess is that a tanker has a number of sections and hence can carry more than one fuel type. If so, the fuel is the same because it's the same tanker argument is flawed.

Andy

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I know that's the case with some of them, at my old dealership a small tanker would deliver 2 types of oil at the same time, one used for petrol, one diesel.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I live in Scunthorpe and the Civil Engineering contractor I used to work for did a lot of work in the Humberside refineries at Immingham so there was a certain amount of insider information floating about the company but how accurate it was I cannot know. Nevertheless I was once told that while the actual fuel (petrol or diesel) all comes out of the same tanks (in a way it must do since the refineries are basically generic) what makes the difference is the additives that are put in each individual tank full while loading. So a load for Morrisons could well be different to one for Shell even if the same tanker is used. It is also likely that the tanker is fitted with internal divisions to keep the load under control while braking or cornering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts