Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiance this ? Used the 5p off voucher to fill my 147 JTDM resulting in sluggish perfomance and juddering when accelerating in lower gears..10 squids of BP ultimate after the tesco crap had burnt off and the difference was very noiticeable..
its cheap..but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had minor engine problems with my last car. When I took it to the dealer (Saab), the first thing they asked me was if I'd been using Sainsbury or Tesco diesel, but not guilty M'Lud. I stopped using any supermarket fuel years ago, so it was Shell or Esso that had clogged the injectors, but a can of some kind of diesel additive cured the problem after about 30 minutes running. The Saab tech guy told me that they recommend putting a tankful of Ultra or some other 'super diesel' through every few tankfuls, he told me that this did exactly the same thing as the additive he'd used to fix my car's problem, and of course it would work out much cheaper. The super stuff is hard to find where I live, but I always use Total or Aral super diesel whe I'm in France or Germany.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sainsbury's fuel is supplied by BP, Tesco's is cut price crap I stopped using Supermarket fuel about 3 years ago as I had a problem in my petrol Saab with water in the fuel after topping up at Tesco's I've never put anything but Shell super in my Bella and quite honestly wouldn't use anything else it might cost a few pence a litre more but its worth it

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sainsbury's fuel is supplied by BP, Tesco's is cut price crap ....
I think that depends on where you live. I was told by a friend who works at the Fawley refinery, that in the Hampshire/Dorset area, both Tesco and Sainsbury use the same supplier, I think he said BP. Can't substantiate this, but I've heard that most supermarkets including these two skimp on additives like detergents to shave a few hundredth of a penny off the price. I've read stories like this so often, including that guy who has a column in the Telegraph each week, that I haven't used supermarket fuel for years.

D

·
0 Posts
It's all rumours gathered from overhearing people in the pubs, no-one knows where the fuel comes from really.

Never had any problems myself with Sainsbugs, Morrisons or Tescos. Shell makes the car drive just the same and just adds anther few quid into the oil giant's pockets for nothing as far as I can see.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
it all comes from the same refinery othewise there would be an Esso one, a texaco one, BP one etc etc and there is not, just a legal definition of unleaded, diesel etc etc

where the difference comes is the additives which are added to the base fuel so there is a cummulative effect of using the fuel.

TBH I am a little unsure of these detergent type additives, how come they do not remove the oil from the cylinder as well and increase engine wear?

D

·
0 Posts
Ahh, you use magnatec to combat it and stick waste deposits to the engine components with magnetic oil, then you need Millers diesel additive to get rid of that ... and pretty soon you become a marketing man's dream

·
Registered
255 Posts
So many threads on this subject!

I just cant understand why some cars behave noticebly different on higher octane (dearer fuel:rolleyes: ) whereas some people come on here and swear it makes no diff to their car.

Obviously no-one is lying so what the hell's going on!!??

Its v-power for me or my car runs like a dog. Ive got myself a shell card and double points on the V-power means i get back about 2p a litre from the 7p extra that i pay over 3months...i can live with that i reckon

D

·
0 Posts
To be honest I find the biggest of these power gain phenomenons comes from the weather, a cold, crisp morning the car goes like a rocket, not quite as well on a muggy, warm afternoon but that's just basic science of air density and temperature

I reckon it would do 200mph on v power on a cold morning!

·
Registered
255 Posts
To be honest I find the biggest of these power gain phenomenons comes from the weather, a cold, crisp morning the car goes like a rocket, not quite as well on a muggy, warm afternoon but that's just basic science of air density and temperature

I reckon it would do 200mph on v power on a cold morning!
:lol: ...i reckon you might have a point there. i have a K&N induction system and on a crisp morning it feels...and sounds like.... 200mph is a real posibility:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
a crisp morning is a warm morning in glasgow isnt it ?
i live in elton which is right next to shell stanlow and all the supermarkets get there fuel there you can see them filling up (by that i mean the trailer not there tanks)

·
Registered
255 Posts
a crisp morning is a warm morning in glasgow isnt it ?
i live in elton which is right next to shell stanlow and all the supermarkets get there fuel there you can see them filling up (by that i mean the trailer not there tanks)
Yes....crisp=positively balmy in Glasgow:cheese:

As for the supermarkets getting their fuel from Shell....what can i say!? It doesnt change the fact that people all over this forum find significant differences between these fuels.

my guess is that shell...like any production line, will make fuel to order and price accordingly, from any company that they have a contract with. This in mind, it makes me sick that my local shell station sell theur unleaded at the same price as Tesco do:rant:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
In Scotland they all get the SAME fuel from Grangemouth, you can see the queue of tankers.

'Premium' suppliers just add some extra stuff to theirs and charge more.

You may remember all the issues with 'Formula' Shell 20 years ago when the tanker drivers made a mess of the quantities and it burnt valves on Fords and VX's and was massively bad publicity.

I just buy standard fuel!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Its v-power for me or my car runs like a dog. Ive got myself a shell card and double points on the V-power means i get back about 2p a litre from the 7p extra that i pay over 3months...i can live with that i reckon
My Spider loves Shell V-Power, but my 156 JTD hates the diesel equivalent. I did once try Sainsbury's diesel but never again - performance was reduced and at idle the engine was even more noisy than usual! I use BP Ultimate diesel in the 156 - loves it:)

Are we imagining this? I don't think so, we all listen to our engines and notice the differences in performances. Ambient weather and temperature aside, I believe the quality of fuel does make a difference. And if it makes the ride more enjoyable, why not?:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
In Scotland they all get the SAME fuel from Grangemouth, you can see the queue of tankers.

'Premium' suppliers just add some extra stuff to theirs and charge more.

You may remember all the issues with 'Formula' Shell 20 years ago when the tanker drivers made a mess of the quantities and it burnt valves on Fords and VX's and was massively bad publicity.

I just buy standard fuel!

Ok, thats fair enough.

But it doesnt change the fact that people DO find a difference!

D

·
0 Posts
:lol:
This isn't jut any fuel, this is organically drilled, ethically farm assured fuel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts