Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a thread on here about fuel...and learned about the 99 octane fuel...Tesco sells.

I usually fill up at sainsbury's and use 95 or 97 RON fuel..or at BP nether filled up at tesco's as it is miles away...So went to tesco's to give this fuel a try...

Car loves it....seems a bit easier through the revs, and smoother sound coming from the engine.

Gets a thumbs up from me. :)

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
iv noticed that using shell optimax the engine in my car seems to run smoother and quieter than the normal 95 ron, must give tesco a try.

S

·
0 Posts
Here it is only 94.9p a litre at present.
Regular is 89.9p so no huge bill hike either

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Hi.

I've read recently in one of my mags that they're doing a comparison between supermarket petrol & the branded stuff. Should be intersesting. Will try to find it for when & where and report back :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
my local tesco still only does 95, is it a national roll-out for the 99 or is it just a regional thing does anybody know?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
sbaddison said:
Hi.

I've read recently in one of my mags that they're doing a comparison between supermarket petrol & the branded stuff. Should be intersesting. Will try to find it for when & where and report back :)

Cheers,
It's on 5th gear next Monday :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Tesco 99 octane will only be availabe around the London area for a while. See http://www.petrolprices.com/
Until then, I usually try to fill up at the Cumbernauld services north of Glasgow on the M80. Shell 95 octane is 85.9 and Optimax is 91.9 :p

·
Registered
26,140 Posts
sbaddison said:
Hi.

I've read recently in one of my mags that they're doing a comparison between supermarket petrol & the branded stuff. Should be intersesting. Will try to find it for when & where and report back
I think you mean the comparative test in January 2006 EVO.
In http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=34529 , message 22, I wrote:

As promised - the conclusions of the EVO comparative test:

Shell Optimax
Price paid: 95.9p/l
Max power: [email protected] rpm
Max torque: 242 lb ft @ 2500-2900 rpm
Shows usefull gains compared to Shell 95.

Tesco 99
Price paid: 93.9p/l
Max torque: 242 lb ft @ 2400-3500 rpm
Highest octane rating of the pump fuels did not give the top results.

BP Ultimate
Price paid: 100.9p/l
Max torque: 252 lb ft @ 2400-2500 rpm
Level pegged with Tesco on peak bhp but significantly outperformed it and every other pump fuel in terms of torque.

Sunoco race fuel
Price paid: 352.5p/l
Max torque: 248 lb ft @ 2500-2800 rpm
Mixes it with BP ultimate initially, but beyonf 3500 rpm it's well clear of the fuel pumps as expected.

Test cars used: BMW M5 & Golf GTi; differences most marked with Golf GTi.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like I was right... :p ...but you have to look at the cost as well, BP Ultimate is anywhere from 7p to 12p more than Tesco 99

Would be interesting to know about saisnbury's 97 RON, it sells for only 1-2p more than the 95, which begs the question why ?

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts