Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why?

I’m not expecting people to have a choice of beans to hand, grind them on the spot, and brew them to my taste. I don’t even expect to be offered filter coffee. However, I do not want or expect to be offered something that tastes and looks like mud either.

The difference in price between rubbish Lidl bargain basement coffee and decent instant stuff is no more than a couple of quid so for god’s sake dip your hand in your pocket and buy something drinkable. And no, the excuse that you never touch the stuff doesn’t wash. I never drink tea but I know that tea bags that cost 37p for 500 in B&M Bargains are going to be rubbish so I won’t buy them and offer them to people.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
I don't drink coffee, mrs doesnt drink coffee at home. so if you came to our house you wouldnt be offered any coffee, horrible or not.

·
Registered
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't drink coffee, mrs doesnt drink coffee at home. so if you came to our house you wouldnt be offered any coffee, horrible or not.
Hospitable lot you southerners aren't you?

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Why should I buy coffee, that I dont like or drink, on the off chance a guest might request some?

Should I always have some caviar and 50 year old Macallen just in case?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't knock the Lidl stuff totally, their espresso is good enough for my coffee obsessed Portuguese mother-in-law who only goes to cafes which serve her favourite brand and would rather go without than drink anything else.

I agree with you as a whole, if someone drinks coffee they should have an idea about what tastes good and what doesn't. But, if they don't drink coffee themselves, but are good enough to make it for a visitor, that says a lot about them to me. I'd rather be served semi-decent filter than pricey instant though as price really makes very little difference once you get beyond a couple of quid for a small jar.

I'm not obsessed though, I've only got 3 machines depending on the type of drink I want:biglaugh:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
What's worse is having to give out your finest Grumpy Mule to some heathen who can't tell the difference between proper coffee and Nescafe instant :(

·
Registered
15,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why should I buy coffee, that I dont like or drink, on the off chance a guest might request some?

Should I always have some caviar and 50 year old Macallen just in case?
See previous response.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you come to mine and don't accept a glass of red instead of tea or coffee you can b****r off to Tuckton tea Rooms.

No you can't have my address.

:vs_wine:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have, for the past few years, refused to allow instant coffee in the house. It is a banned substance! Even the "good" stuff.

There's no excuse either. It's no more effort to make a cup of tea than it is to make a pot of coffee.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If you come to mine and don't accept a glass of red instead of tea or coffee you can b****r off to Tuckton tea Rooms.

No you can't have my address.

:vs_wine:
We've just polished off a bottle of Australian shiraz, and very soon a cup of .............................Caramel coffee!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I have, for the past few years, refused to allow instant coffee in the house. It is a banned substance! Even the "good" stuff.

There's no excuse either. It's no more effort to make a cup of tea than it is to make a pot of coffee.
Agreed but then most people seem to use a teabag in a mug for visitors which is the equivalent of using instant coffee. :evil:

·
Registered
37,850 Posts
Tough one this.

We stayed over with some folks a while back, at breakfast they said "tea or coffee?"

"Black coffee please"

"Err....we don't drink coffee and don't have any" :rolleyes:

"Brown or white toast?" - same thing, they only have white (very cheap and nasty) bread.

There is a balance here, I think. If you only ever have toast and Jam for breakfast or only ever drink tea or always have hideous bargain basement value range frozen chips then to a great extent your guest is at your mercy vis-a-vis their own picky dietary needs. If their delicate digestion can only cope with lightly grilled quails liver then they should either let you know well in advance or bring their own.

We tend to view guests as exactly that, a guest to whom we extend our hospitality. I'm not going to get you caviar but I will get a few, decent quality items so that you do have options and I recognise that not everyone has the same tastes as me when it comes to tripe and turnips for breakfast.

Even if I do have to eat what you decide you don't fancy next week :mad:

·
Registered
11,904 Posts

Hospitable lot you southerners aren't you?
I am a hospitable southerner with plenty of good coffee and tea, and although I don't drink milk I'll always make sure some will be available for any guests... I was going to defend southern hospitality by suggesting Greener's miserable attitude had more to do with him being a banker than a southerner, but then I remembered he claims to be from Yorkshire! :thumbs:

:):byebye:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts