Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine travelling horizontally at a speed nearing terminal velocity!? But then the guy in front of you goes to overtake a lorry that pulls into his path! Do the brake lights on an A class flash like you have an expert rally driver performing cadence braking or have MB switched from hazards to brake lights to emphasise the serious pressure you are putting on the pedal! It was an A250 registration AJ13*** supplied from a Peterborough dealer going to Boston and he was in a proper hurry!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is that a new convention? I thought all european cars flashed hazards, this was an amazing display of red lights that my partner thought would end in a rear end collision into the lorry? I'd buy that car following a new set of tyres and a steam clean of the drivers seat!! Nutter!!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Just faulty MB electrics!!!!

You must have got pretty close to read all that info off the number plate!!!!!:cheese:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The brake lights have to show a constant red light, so dunno what was going on with the electrics. Some years ago a system that flashed the brake lights faster the harder you braked was doing the rounds but not compliant with the constant red light regulation so it wasn't adopted in teh UK (nor Europa, as I've ever seen).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Ive noticed the same thing on MBs, not sure if its because they are all LED but they do seem to flicker

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
My wife complained to the garage that the hazards kept coming on when she pressed the brake pedal on the new 159.....thought it was a fault.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
My wife complained to the garage that the hazards kept coming on when she pressed the brake pedal on the new 159.....thought it was a fault.
I thought that when I first did it :eek:

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,398 Posts
The brake lights on a new MB will flash/pulsate rapidly when you brake very, very hard; not sure if the ABS needs to trigger first (maybe not; ABS may trigger a lot even when driving gently in the snow) so maybe it's deceleration-force based?

Volvo (maybe others) has the same system. It doesn't half spook you up; yes I was behind one when it triggered its machine gun of brake lights :)

I do think this is a much safer system of alerting the driver behind to your emergency braking than the flashing of hazards.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye agreed. I like the idea of lights that flash faster the harder you brake.. but I guess you do also need brake lights that stay constantly "on" too... otherwise the interval between the flashes could delay reactions behind you..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
MB are spot-on with this. Along with other previous safety they've introduced.

I think that LED technology and embedded automotive system are probably the biggest enabler
for these kind of features and hopefully we'll see further no-cost additions like these soon.

e.g. How about flashing the rear hazards when your rear parking sensor detects an Audi attached to
your bumper? :)

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
It could spray the offending Audi with water until he backed off. This would need an additional 50 litre washer reservoir as well. :rubchin:
Or I could just put my foot down and let the unburnt oil and crap from my exhaust go all over his windscreen, usually does the trick!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts