Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

Back in Jan this year my fan belt went. The kindly RAC man relayed the car to his mates garage (quite a well-known firm in my neighbourhood) who does quite a lot of business through this arrangement - I'm not at all against the commission / referral business model by the way.

The fan belt, guide and tensioner (£118 on it's own) were all sorted and things seemed fine.

A few days ago the car started making the same squeling noise that was the precursor to the failure in Jan. I took it to the guy that normally does my work and he said it looked as if the tensioner had gone; he couldn't say for sure without having a proper look but he said the tensioner nut looked rusty.

Does the panel have experience of tensioners failing after 9.5 months and circa 15K miles or have I been done? I suppose I'll know more when my usual fixer has had a proper look but any advice would be helpful in case I need to have a go at the guys that fixed it in Jan.

Whilst this work is being done I'm going to have the cam-belt done as well (it's due soon). What sort of money should I be paying?

Cheers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Morning all

Back in Jan this year my fan belt went. The kindly RAC man relayed the car to his mates garage (quite a well-known firm in my neighbourhood) who does quite a lot of business through this arrangement - I'm not at all against the commission / referral business model by the way.

The fan belt, guide and tensioner (£118 on it's own) were all sorted and things seemed fine.

A few days ago the car started making the same squeling noise that was the precursor to the failure in Jan. I took it to the guy that normally does my work and he said it looked as if the tensioner had gone; he couldn't say for sure without having a proper look but he said the tensioner nut looked rusty.

Does the panel have experience of tensioners failing after 9.5 months and circa 15K miles or have I been done? I suppose I'll know more when my usual fixer has had a proper look but any advice would be helpful in case I need to have a go at the guys that fixed it in Jan.

Whilst this work is being done I'm going to have the cam-belt done as well (it's due soon). What sort of money should I be paying?

Cheers

With regards to having the cambelt changed, get a copy of Auto Italia magazine, there are some garages advertising very good prices for belt, tensioners and variator change, would be worth a look!

On the fanbelt tensioner note, the nut that secures the tensioner is probably not new but the tensioner may well be new (9 months old), just a rusty nut does not give any indication as to the state of the component it secures. If the part should have failed then it is under warrantee so take your receipt back to the garage and ask them to take a look.:thumbs: :thumbs:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts