Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Apologies Haydn - back to your your post!!! Which reminds me - would you consider getting one abroad / LHD? That source offers a far bigger choice of 164 QV's than here. Googling "Alfa 164 for sale Europe" brings up quite a choice. LHD certainly wouldn't put me off buying a rare car.

Obvious two downsides - they're usually more expensive over there, and it's a slight pain having to go over & pick it up... so just make a holiday out of it! Also car haulage / transporter co's will bring it over for about £500.00, at least that's what I was quoted when I seriously toyed with the idea of buying an Alfasud Sprint in Europe a few years ago.

Good idea that, and there's always the option of doing a RHD conversion if you're up for a bit of a challenge.

There's occasionally the odd original q4 for sale in the more northern countries too (haven't seen any in Italy yet) which could provide even more incentive to go for LHD; chances are the 'box broke on the 'Savali' because there was too much power going through it; I bet if it had been FWD it'd have lunched it's diff just like the 3.2 gt/gta/gtv do.

Edit: Or, for a very similar if somewhat less pretty version of the 164 with an even more exciting engine, how about this?
http://www.autoschipper.com/en/auto/lancia-thema-8-32-v8-ferrari-motor/

Edit2: I'd better point out I'd love to have a RHD 164 and went on a serious search a few years back, but every one I came across was either so rusty it was this -><- far from being in donor territory, or supposedly in 'showroom' condition and dramatically overpriced.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nice looking car, assuming it's still in the same condition as the pics.

Hmm, looks like it might have had a few inexperienced people after it; seller has put an update saying he's been asked a lot about the cambelt; it's been offroad since 2011 so I think the answer to that question should be fairly obvious...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
"I think the 164 'feels' a bit faster too. Perhaps they're geared differently as the engine is very similar".

Yes, plus I'm fairly certain the 164 3.0 V6 wouldn't have had any catalysts & emission gubbins on it (unlike the later CF2 & CF3 versions of the 3.0 V6's found in later GTV's which did) hence it will breath easier so feels a bit faster / feels more responsive???

Also was your 164 3.0 a 5-speed? My first GTV 3.0 V6 24v was a 5-speed (Phase 1 GTV) and it definitely felt feel more quicker / alive then the 6-speed which came in my later Phase 2 GTV 3.0. Felt more "raw" & savage somehow.
The 164 V6s after 1993 (ish) do have cats, but no more than 1 thankfully. I believe that's the case anyway. I remember my Dad's 2001 166 V6 (lovely car btw) had three cats, and 4 lambda sensors I think, as Alfa tried to keep the V6 within the ever-tightening emissions regulations...

My 1991 Cloverleaf was indeed a 5 speed. I've had a 6 speed and 5 speed GTV V6 though can't really compare their performance as the 6 speed was remapped so was quicker regardless. The 164 Cloverleaf is very different to the 166 V6 - the 166 is smoother and more refined, whereas the 164 is sharper and more aggressive in my opinion.

Hayden congratulations on the creation of such a majestically meandering read; who knows where it will lead you, but I'm hoping it ends with another Italian, "boxy", four door saloon arising from your driveway ministry.
In the meantime and heading to the tropical Highlands, might I ask whether it was the heady mix of speed, deisel/ kerosene mix, altitude and fear of the vertical drops on the decent at 3000' that affected my vision while careering downhill on a number 99 bus on the eve of Vesak.....OR was it real? A rather Auberge 164 Super tucked high up on a driveway safe from the floodwaters and chaos on the Haputale to Ratnapura pass!
Thanks indeed! I will own another, that's almost a dead cert. I really miss my 164s.

Good idea that, and there's always the option of doing a RHD conversion if you're up for a bit of a challenge.

There's occasionally the odd original q4 for sale in the more northern countries too (haven't seen any in Italy yet) which could provide even more incentive to go for LHD; chances are the 'box broke on the 'Savali' because there was too much power going through it; I bet if it had been FWD it'd have lunched it's diff just like the 3.2 gt/gta/gtv do.

Edit: Or, for a very similar if somewhat less pretty version of the 164 with an even more exciting engine, how about this?
Lancia Thema 8.32 V8 Ferrari engine!! | Schipper Classic & Sportscars

Edit2: I'd better point out I'd love to have a RHD 164 and went on a serious search a few years back, but every one I came across was either so rusty it was this -><- far from being in donor territory, or supposedly in 'showroom' condition and dramatically overpriced.
I keep seeing Q4s for sale on the continent and thinking 'hmmmmm' to myself, but it's a lot of hassle really to get one back here. I'd rather have a Cloverleaf anyway. Regarding the Q4's gearbox, my research suggested they were very meaty units and should easily have been able to handle 400hp plus (apparently). I certainly struggled to find another instance of a Q4 gearbox breaking, and that would also explain why the guy trying to sell brand new Q4 gearboxes on German ebay never seemed to actually sell any...

As for the Thema 8.32, that's a car I've been hankering after for a while too. I love the idea of them, and those interiors are to die for! I was almost in the running to buy a dark red G-reg one that sold on eBay late last year. It needed quite a bit of work, including some welding, and sold for £4600 as memory recalls. I just wasn't quite ready to make the financial commitment. There was a dark grey one at the ITCAM show at Newby Hall, Ripon, in June of this year. The owner let me sit in it and start it up...what a cool car.

RHD 164 values are a bit all over the place really, but they seem to be strengthening at last.

Funnily enough, I was hoping nobody would mention that car in this thread... as I'm the current high bidder! ;) We'll see what happens with the bidding but I'm feeling hopeful, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Nice looking car, assuming it's still in the same condition as the pics.

Hmm, looks like it might have had a few inexperienced people after it; seller has put an update saying he's been asked a lot about the cambelt; it's been offroad since 2011 so I think the answer to that question should be fairly obvious...
Yeah I saw that too, and thought exactly the same. To be fair though, not everybody is mechanically minded/knows their stuff regarding the V6 engine.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well if this thread keeps on running there will be more than just HaydnW looking for a 164 V6!
If everyone can just wait til I've bought one first, that would be smashing :rofl:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well if this thread keeps on running there will be more than just HaydnW looking for a 164 V6!
Indeed, though I gave up looking and contented myself just with a 164's 3.0 12v Busso instead :) (BTW if anyone comes across a 164 12v super block in whatever condition, I could def do with that for my project)

Always thought they were very under-rated cars, just like the 166, so it'd be nice if they got the recognition they deserve (though finding dashboard faults looks like a very daunting job indeed!).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The deed is done...

I've bought a 1996 3.0 Cloverleaf that's in need of recommissioning, but shouldn't need any bodywork attention. (Which is exactly what I was after - happy days!)

As per my previous message, you may now resume buying 164s. Thank you for your patience. :rofl:

Pictures of the car attached. No doubt many of you will have seen the car for sale on eBay, especially as the link was posted above a few days ago. All I have to do now is get it back up to Leeds from Solihull, for which I already have a reasonable quote. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and to the couple of you that sent me private messages. :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Many congratulations Haydn! It does indeed look very lovely, in particular I think those wheels really finish off the Cloverleaf superbly well. Hopefully there's not too much re-commissioning needed, and at 88k miles it's barely run-in for a Busso V6.

Happy-days for you! :party:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congratulations Hayden. Nice choice indeed. Some beautiful shots for motivation. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Many congratulations Haydn! It does indeed look very lovely, in particular I think those wheels really finish off the Cloverleaf superbly well. Hopefully there's not too much re-commissioning needed, and at 88k miles it's barely run-in for a Busso V6.

Happy-days for you! :party:
Thanks! Aside from the obvious cambelt service, it only needs a few fairly minor things (that I know of - I expect there will be a few more jobs to do of course). I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

..well done, she looks great. Keep us posted..!
Thanks, will do!

Congratulations , looking very luvly - hope to see it at the 166/164FEST.......:party:
Thanks - we'll see about event attendance, it all depends on when the car is back on the road and running well.

Congratulations Hayden. Nice choice indeed. Some beautiful shots for motivation. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk
Thanks - those pictures remind me how much I need another set of Zender Milanos... they finish off the look of the car in my opinon. All in good time :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Congrats Hayden, that 164 looks so so good¬!

I remember a few years ago (about 2012/13) the chap who had that 164 also had a Nuvola 166 V6.
He was offered £500 trade in iirc and sold the car to a forum member for about £500.

Anyway, I believe it was the same guy as the number plate on the 166 was similar.
just found the original thread...

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/337957-trying-to-sell-my-166-a.html

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

I spent Sunday giving the 164 it's first clay bar and polish under my ownership. She scrubs up rather well!

(I also love the camera on my new phone!!)

Haydn

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Haydn that is absolutely stunning! The prettiest version and best colour of the 164s IMO.
Well wear lad

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Haydn that is absolutely stunning! The prettiest version and best colour of the 164s IMO.
Well wear lad
Thanks, it's not too bad is it! Some Recaros would finish it off nicely... all in good time of course...
That was my reaction too :cool: I do love the 164 styling. Particularly in this colour, it really stands out.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts