Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
We are moving forward......

Essex Boy ( well old Boy actually :bigmouth: ) - just a thought would'nt Rachael ( Registrar ) have the complete listing ( nearly 200 according to the aroc 166 fb ) ; I will suggest it on that aroc fb closed group......Jim.
OK - Done that , Registrar will publish how many 166's per county in the UK then I will run with it and analyse potential
meet options for next year - think it will be several regional clusters of owners ( N S E W ) rather than one meet ( would
be too far for some and they get left out ). I'm on the case based on this years events being typical for next year...Jim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Registrar asked me to point you all in the direction of the closed group aroc uk - 166 fb , all welcome to join.....:blabla:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With a view to turning this thread slightly back on topic, if anybody has a 164 Cloverleaf that needs some work, feel free to send me a message.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep, a good Touché from Defonie ( he even sounds French - Deaf on aaaaaa ).
As to a meet up that would be great , presumably would have to be a major
central venue we could all get to - mind you Mufasa will need to climb over
the ' not a hard border ' border in the Irish Sea if it's in the UK ( now stands for Unbelievable Kock-up ).
Keep on fussing folks.....that's why your motor looks great 👍 Jim.
French...... moi.....??! Ha!! I'm as French as a bag of chips.

A 166 meet sound good - I'm near Preston. A central UK location sounds good. Or maybe at an AROC National meet-up / Auto Italia Italian car Day?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Apologies Haydn - back to your your post!!! Which reminds me - would you consider getting one abroad / LHD? That source offers a far bigger choice of 164 QV's than here. Googling "Alfa 164 for sale Europe" brings up quite a choice. LHD certainly wouldn't put me off buying a rare car.

Obvious two downsides - they're usually more expensive over there, and it's a slight pain having to go over & pick it up... so just make a holiday out of it! Also car haulage / transporter co's will bring it over for about £500.00, at least that's what I was quoted when I seriously toyed with the idea of buying an Alfasud Sprint in Europe a few years ago.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No need for the apologies guys - I'm happy for you to talk about whatever you want in this thread, bu I just didn't want the original purpose to go unnoticed.

I've thought about trying to buy one from abroad but to be honest, it may be more hassle than it's worth. When all is said and done, I fully expect that buying from abroad would work out to be more expensive and I'd have a LHD car, whereas with some patience I should be able to spend less altogether on a RHD car here in the UK. But it's an option worth considering, depending on what comes up.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Yeh, sorry , got a bit excited - I blame Mufasa ......Jim.
Mea culpa!

PS I loved reading your column in the AROC magazine back in the day Haydn

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, kind of you to say so! I only really stopped as I felt I had run out of things to say, and without meaning to badmouth the club, they weren't very forthcoming with advice re: what I should write about. Perhaps I'll return one day...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't shake the idea of returning to 164 ownership. It's only been a couple of years since I last owned one but I've had three different Alfas since and as much as I like them, I've come to realise that they're just not quite what I want. I really liked my 164s, warts and all!

Were I to buy another 164, it would have to be a Cloverleaf for me, having owned a Cloverleaf and a Q4 in the past. I'd prefer a 24v as I've already owned a 12v, but it depends what comes up really. I'm looking for more of a project than a minter, ie something I can get stuck into and gradually bring back to its best. And yes, I'm aware that it's pretty much always cheaper in the long run to spend more on a 'better' car! Cars that run/drive would be a bonus but not essential. I don't mind mechanical work but I don't want to have to do a lot of bodywork (though some bodywork issues are to be expected). Decent history and all keys would be a bonus but not essential.

I don't really have a timeframe, it depends what comes up really. My V6 GTV would have to go as well to make space. I guess I'm just putting the feelers out there to see what's about?
Hi Haydn,

Your bio says you have a 3.0 GTV and a Biturbo (two of my favourite cars).
I am just curious as to why you would like to have a 164 again? Anything apart from having 4 doors? Just like to hear your opinion since you have owned all three. Sorry if it diverts this thread elsewhere.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Haydn,

Your bio says you have a 3.0 GTV and a Biturbo (two of my favourite cars).
I am just curious as to why you would like to have a 164 again? Anything apart from having 4 doors? Just like to hear your opinion since you have owned all three. Sorry if it diverts this thread elsewhere.
Thanks

Hi Kuseetha,

It's not the easiest of comparisons to make as I've hardly driven the 222 - it's a long-term project and although it was back on the road earlier this year, after being off the road for 6 years, I've only driven it a few times due to some mechanical issues that I couldn't ignore. One of which is a problem with the boost system, by which I mean the car struggles to boost after 3.5k rpm and becomes quite jerky. But when it boosts properly, it really does surge forwards! It's a totally different animal to the 164, particularly being a very rare 2.8 4v version (280hp and roughly 1330kg kerb weight). I'm not in a rush to get it totally sorted, so it's sitting patiently for now, much like my 75 that has also been off the road for a number of years. I do bits on the 75, then switch to the 222, then back again. No rush, neither of them will ever be show queens so I do what I can, when I find the time.

(I should add that I wasn't responsible for them being off the road - the 75 and the 222 came into my hands as projects).

I can only really compare the GTV to the 164. There are a lot of similarities but for me, the 164 is a more desirable car. It's rarer, comfier, just as quick, and I prefer the looks of the 164 (though looks are of course, subjective). I've had three V6 Alfas since I last owned a 164, and none of them have given me the same enjoyment. I suppose a big part of it is that my first big project was a 164 12v Cloverleaf, so that really started my appreciation of 164s, and I have fond memories of that car. It's hard to really put my finger on why I want another - I just really like them! I think they feel more special than the GTV/156 too, as nice as those cars are.

I don't know if my reply is useful to you at all :rofl: but if you have more specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Kuseetha,

It's not the easiest of comparisons to make as I've hardly driven the 222 - it's a long-term project and although it was back on the road earlier this year, after being off the road for 6 years, I've only driven it a few times due to some mechanical issues that I couldn't ignore. One of which is a problem with the boost system, by which I mean the car struggles to boost after 3.5k rpm and becomes quite jerky. But when it boosts properly, it really does surge forwards! It's a totally different animal to the 164, particularly being a very rare 2.8 4v version (280hp and roughly 1330kg kerb weight). I'm not in a rush to get it totally sorted, so it's sitting patiently for now, much like my 75 that has also been off the road for a number of years. I do bits on the 75, then switch to the 222, then back again. No rush, neither of them will ever be show queens so I do what I can, when I find the time.

(I should add that I wasn't responsible for them being off the road - the 75 and the 222 came into my hands as projects).

I can only really compare the GTV to the 164. There are a lot of similarities but for me, the 164 is a more desirable car. It's rarer, comfier, just as quick, and I prefer the looks of the 164 (though looks are of course, subjective). I've had three V6 Alfas since I last owned a 164, and none of them have given me the same enjoyment. I suppose a big part of it is that my first big project was a 164 12v Cloverleaf, so that really started my appreciation of 164s, and I have fond memories of that car. It's hard to really put my finger on why I want another - I just really like them! I think they feel more special than the GTV/156 too, as nice as those cars are.

I don't know if my reply is useful to you at all :rofl: but if you have more specific questions I'll do my best to answer them.
It is good to hear that 164 is as good as a GTV to drive despite being a larger car. Well, that is perhaps all I could get from your reply

Is there a thread somewhere you would post the progress of the 222 project? Would really like to see it.

Edit:
I have also subscribed to this Youtuber on his Maserati Zagato Spyder project. Disaster after disaster on this poor fella but the italian metal is so pretty to look at.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperUltiMatt

Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It is good to hear that 164 is as good as a GTV to drive despite being a larger car. Well, that is perhaps all I could get from your reply

Is there a thread somewhere you would post the progress of the 222 project? Would really like to see it.

Edit:
I have also subscribed to this Youtuber on his Maserati Zagato Spyder project. Disaster after disaster on this poor fella but the italian metal is so pretty to look at.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperUltiMatt

Thanks

I may be wrong, but I think the kerb weights of the two cars are very similar (164 QV and GTV V6).
I think the 164 'feels' a bit faster too. Perhaps they're geared differently as the engine is very similar. Plus it's vastly more practical. With the Recaro seats, the 164 interior is such a nice place to be, and so comfortable!

Like I say - it's difficult to compare them really. Especially seeing as I haven't driven a 164 for a long time. Most of it is down to personal preference, and I enjoyed my 164s more than I've enjoyed my GTVs and 156. Thus, I am keen to have another.

I have a thread re: the Maserati, on Retro Rides and on the SportsMaserati forum. It's been a while since I updated either of them, but I've not done much on the car in the last 6 months. I'm planning to rebuild/replace the turbos as I suspect one is faulty, and replace the rear exhaust section as it's too loud for me (stainless steel with two small silencers, originally it would have had 4 larger silencers).

I had a thread on the alfa164register website about my old Q4 that proved to be quite popular. If I buy another 164, I'll make a new thread on there. It's a good community, full of helpful people and resources.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the kerb weights of the two cars are very similar (164 QV and GTV V6).
I think the 164 'feels' a bit faster too. Perhaps they're geared differently as the engine is very similar. Plus it's vastly more practical. With the Recaro seats, the 164 interior is such a nice place to be, and so comfortable!

Like I say - it's difficult to compare them really. Especially seeing as I haven't driven a 164 for a long time. Most of it is down to personal preference, and I enjoyed my 164s more than I've enjoyed my GTVs and 156. Thus, I am keen to have another.

I have a thread re: the Maserati, on Retro Rides and on the SportsMaserati forum. It's been a while since I updated either of them, but I've not done much on the car in the last 6 months. I'm planning to rebuild/replace the turbos as I suspect one is faulty, and replace the rear exhaust section as it's too loud for me (stainless steel with two small silencers, originally it would have had 4 larger silencers).

I had a thread on the alfa164register website about my old Q4 that proved to be quite popular. If I buy another 164, I'll make a new thread on there. It's a good community, full of helpful people and resources.
I must admit, of all the Alfas I have owned, the 164 was definitely one of the best. It was a 1992 2.0 TS, in red with cloth seats. Took it down to the South of France in 1999, very comfortable, didn't miss a beat. The old Nord TS engine was great, particularly since this one didn't have the cat so it was less restricted.

Don't blame you going for a V6 again, given the chance I would get one as well!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I must admit, of all the Alfas I have owned, the 164 was definitely one of the best. It was a 1992 2.0 TS, in red with cloth seats. Took it down to the South of France in 1999, very comfortable, didn't miss a beat. The old Nord TS engine was great, particularly since this one didn't have the cat so it was less restricted.

Don't blame going for a V6 again, given the chance I would get one as well!
They are greatly underrated cars in my opinion. Values have only really started to rise in the last few years but deservedly so. I think that in the eyes of many, they'll never catch the likes of the transaxle cars (for example) in terms of values due to being FWD, whereas anybody that has owned one knows that they drive really well regardless.

People say the 75 is the last 'real' Alfa, but the 164 was designed, developed and prepared for production while Alfa was still independent. Yet it didn't go on sale until the Fiat takeover had been completed. Mind you, the people that sneer at the 164 and anything that followed for being 'too Fiat' are usually too ignorant and obnoxious to be reasoned with anyway!

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are only 5 V6 164s in Sri Lanka and only 3 are running including my 96 Super. The only one with sunroof. It is indeed nice to know the opinions of the experienced alfisti. Especially when good things are said about the 164

·
Registered
265 Posts
"I think the 164 'feels' a bit faster too. Perhaps they're geared differently as the engine is very similar".

Yes, plus I'm fairly certain the 164 3.0 V6 wouldn't have had any catalysts & emission gubbins on it (unlike the later CF2 & CF3 versions of the 3.0 V6's found in later GTV's which did) hence it will breath easier so feels a bit faster / feels more responsive???

Also was your 164 3.0 a 5-speed? My first GTV 3.0 V6 24v was a 5-speed (Phase 1 GTV) and it definitely felt feel more quicker / alive then the 6-speed which came in my later Phase 2 GTV 3.0. Felt more "raw" & savage somehow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hayden congratulations on the creation of such a majestically meandering read; who knows where it will lead you, but I'm hoping it ends with another Italian, "boxy", four door saloon arising from your driveway ministry.
In the meantime and heading to the tropical Highlands, might I ask whether it was the heady mix of speed, deisel/ kerosene mix, altitude and fear of the vertical drops on the decent at 3000' that affected my vision while careering downhill on a number 99 bus on the eve of Vesak.....OR was it real? A rather Auberge 164 Super tucked high up on a driveway safe from the floodwaters and chaos on the Haputale to Ratnapura pass!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, well I just found out from a post that there is one in Haldummulla, maroon coloured.
That was a 2.0 TS but running a Japanese engine. So you are correct

21 - 40 of 58 Posts