Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

i'm new here but can't resist the thought of getting an alfa :D

Currently have an old peugeot ( ughhhh) and previous to that an e36 3-series bmw, which was a great car to drive , if a bit under powered.

noticed a 2001 156 2.0 petrol veloce spwagon with 111k on the clock that looks quite reasonable for 1.5k.

the fact it has selespeed scares me (having read the various horror stories) , but before I go and see it , is there anything that I should checklist beforehand?

156 and the rust seem to be close allies, so Ive made a note to look for damp footwells, rusty floorpans, suspicious underseal .....

the last cambelt change was almost 40k ago, so I guess i need to factor in a cambelt + variator change? (is the cambelt change interval 36k not 60k?)

I also need to get a decent size fender twin guitar amp in the boot occasionally, but notice the rear space is a little......'cramped'. Does anyone know the minimum width in the boot?

anything else I've forgotten? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had a quick look on parkers,etc and considering it was a trade dealer selling, didnt seem too far off the mark.

although with an impending belt change obviously want to haggle a bit ;)

what price do you think I should be aiming for?

R

·
0 Posts
Belt change intervals are 36k or 3 years whichever comes first
Make sure you get cam belt/balance shaft belt and all tensioners done, also auxillary belt & tensioner if it needs it though not as important. if no record of variator & water pump it is worth getting these done as there is very little labour involved, mainly parts :thumbs:

156 buyers guide Alfa Romeo 156 Buyer's Guide

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks for that link :)

I think I've read that before, but skimmed over it a bit. :cry:

If I give the victim a test drive, are there any specifics to check for the selespeed? I havent tried one yet.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.4 jtd grrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Theres a red one that strolls past my office window each morning.

Its so pretty , it hurts.

So much so , that the 156 saloon just looks like 3/4 of a car....

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
good man join the SW fold!!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
2.4 jtd grrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Theres a red one that strolls past my office window each morning.

Its so pretty , it hurts.

So much so , that the 156 saloon just looks like 3/4 of a car....
I don't drive to Kent :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. the jtd 156 I see go past is the 'old' one. The 2003+ ones are seriously pointy and in your face! :cool:

wish I had a bigger budget now :cry:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good old style 156 SW :cool:

All the information in the buying guide etc. is perfect just watch out for squeeks from the suspension - particularly if you have the self-levelling rear suspension as they are loads of ££'s to replace. I have never noticed a problem with boot space, but I always fold the back seats down for more room. I'll have to get the tape measure out to get measurements though :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'd keep looking, there are plenty out there with less problems than this one - if the previous owner let it go past its belt change time then what else haven't they looked after?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts