Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - With the lovely insurance people successfully hoodwinking HM Gov into bringing in 'continual' insurance I now can't have an un-insured car... even though it's going to be sitting on my drive well away from the road!

So has anyone had any experience with temporary insurance?

This has occurred as my wife has just bought a new car (Saab 9-3 SW Aero), and simply swapped insurance from her Alfa 147 (on the classifieds) to the new car. In hindsight she should have started a new policy but swapped the NCD, but wasn't aware of the legal change on insurance.

I've done a quick look but it seems as though it'll be as cheap to take a new policy and cancel it as and when the car is sold?

(no comments on a Saab pls! She needed a bigger car and the 9-3 is a v.good car... fricking expensive on the Tax tho! To my eyes it's pos the 2nd best looking SW after the 159... certainly in our price bracket of sub £4k)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi - With the lovely insurance people successfully hoodwinking HM Gov into bringing in 'continual' insurance I now can't have an un-insured car... even though it's going to be sitting on my drive well away from the road!

So has anyone had any experience with temporary insurance?

This has occurred as my wife has just bought a new car (Saab 9-3 SW Aero), and simply swapped insurance from her Alfa 147 (on the classifieds) to the new car. In hindsight she should have started a new policy but swapped the NCD, but wasn't aware of the legal change on insurance.

I've done a quick look but it seems as though it'll be as cheap to take a new policy and cancel it as and when the car is sold?

(no comments on a Saab pls! She needed a bigger car and the 9-3 is a v.good car... fricking expensive on the Tax tho! To my eyes it's pos the 2nd best looking SW after the 159... certainly in our price bracket of sub £4k)
As long as it is sorned you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing... it won't be SORNed, as we're selling it - easier for the next owner that it's got Tax on it. I did look into a 'laid-up' policy but the ones I looked at require the car to be garaged..... and I'm not turfing the TR out onto the drive!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Your ins. co. should let you change your insurance to the new car and then keep the old one on the same policy as a 'temporary car' until you sell it. They will charge extra of course but should still be cheaper than taking out a new/separate policy for the old car.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Your ins. co. should let you change your insurance to the new car and then keep the old one on the same policy as a 'temporary car' until you sell it. They will charge extra of course but should still be cheaper than taking out a new/separate policy for the old car.
Mine do this for about £20/week upto a max of four weeks in any one insurance period.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - will give them a buzz. I didn't of that... then again I was more concerned with sorting out new car tbh (the missus was a bit excitable).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts