Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experienced this one?? Not had the chance to use our Spider LE much, but yesterday on a couple of occasions tried to lower / raise the hood and it stopped part way through with the message "Temporary Hood Failure - Consult Manual" or some such.

Just pressed the button again and got the same message, then after 2 or 3 attempts it just carries on and completes the operation as normal... I guess we'll need to take it in to be looked at, which is depressing because 1) we haven't had a chance to drive it much as it is, and 2) Sod's law that it'll work just fine when they look at it (it works fine most times).

Wondered if it could be something to do with the very heavy rain it was out in??

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had this with mine and have posted details of it. My hood wouldn't complete the closing cycle and it was tracked down to a faulty electrical component which was replaced. I don't think I am the only person who has experienced this. Visit to the dealer I'm afraid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've also had this message. Mine had 4 trips to the dealer to sort it out (one of which lasted over 5 weeks). They ended up replacing the hydraulic unit which I understand is most of mechanism.

When it is working, does it take a normal amount of time (30 secs)? The first time I took it to the dealer the problem was that the factory had only half filled it with hydraulic fluid. A symptom of this is that the hood is slow to open and close.

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same thing happened to me on Monday, the motors that work the little flaps need replacing. So after 5 weeks of no car due to my bump
I've no roof now it's sunny:cry:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Same thing happened to me on Monday, the motors that work the little flaps need replacing. So after 5 weeks of no car due to my bump
I've no roof now it's sunny:cry:
ditto, that was my problem, LH motor. I wonder if Alfa have been cutting corners on the '08 models, don't seem to have heard of any hood problems with '07 Spiders I hope they haven't been sacrificing quality for price in componentry?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Takes the same amount of time, when it works, doesn't seem like a hydraulic issue. Would be almost certain is the motor on one of the little flaps, because when it fails (in either direction) it's always at the same point - which is when the 'deck with humps' tries to extend its 'flaps'... oh well I guess it needs to go in for some work.

Anyone know if Kinghams in Croydon would be good for this?? Or the place near Gatwick?? It was supplied by HRO but given the issues we had prob wouldn't be first choice for work!!!

Cheers, G.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
didn't the "gtv" spider have the same/similar problem, i rememebr my dad had it on his, and then got it fixed...sold the car and the new owner experienced it within a day!!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I haven't had that failure ... I am on my THIRD passenger window mech and controller tho which was preventing me from operating the roof

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My hood got 'confused' with itself at about 3 months old. One side working faster than the other which twisted the frame and meant the fabric had to come off so they could sort it :(

I have to say the mechanism part has been faultless so far though, which in all honesty im surprised about!!

(Try not to get too angry at Alfa though - its a problem common to every convertible. I have friends with SLKs and Z3/Z4s and their roofs do exactly the same, or even worse!!)

G

·
My hood got 'confused' with itself at about 3 months old. One side working faster than the other which twisted the frame and meant the fabric had to come off so they could sort it :(

I have to say the mechanism part has been faultless so far though, which in all honesty im surprised about!!

(Try not to get too angry at Alfa though - its a problem common to every convertible. I have friends with SLKs and Z3/Z4s and their roofs do exactly the same, or even worse!!)
Agreed - I have a friend who used to own a Mercedes SL - on a trip to Bristol from Yorkshire, the roof went Grrrrrkkkk! and stuck in the half closed position, outside a hotel at 8pm. She was not impressed at having to guard the car and miss dinner till they came and removed the vehicle for repair - and she now drives a Porsche cabriolet. The roof had new motors, limit switches and a respray.
Happy Days :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If the error pops up on the display it is my understanding that it would be logged in the ECU, ready for an Alfa boffin to read with an examiner.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help and comments on this...

So far, it hasn't misbehaved again... but will probably take it to be checked out anyway (they'll look at it under warranty, right?).

Any views on Kinghams or Sidlow btw??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Any views on Kinghams or Sidlow btw??
Depends on your location - I use Kinghams for warranty work as they're 5 mins away but take it back up north for servicing. If you take it to Kinghams make sure you get to talk to Keith (Kingham) and explain the situation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I noticed yesterday in my Spider that a message came up whilst I was driving that said "Roof closing cycle not complete" or something like that. The roof was up at the time and had been for a couple of weeks (holiday abroad) so I pulled over, opened the roof a little and closed it again and all seemed well until I drove off when the message appeared again.

If it keeps happening, I will take it to the dealer but has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I noticed yesterday in my Spider that a message came up whilst I was driving that said "Roof closing cycle not complete" or something like that. The roof was up at the time and had been for a couple of weeks (holiday abroad) so I pulled over, opened the roof a little and closed it again and all seemed well until I drove off when the message appeared again.

If it keeps happening, I will take it to the dealer but has anyone else experienced this?
YEs mine did this when new..... took months to sort out. The hood needs adjusting at the back (where it latches in).

1 - 20 of 107 Posts