Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help?
I have a 166 3.0V6 auto and I have just had the radiator and airconditioner replaced (after it was shot at with an air-rifle while driving!!!!! the pellet went through plastic grille on front of car and carried on through both radiators!). Now it has been replaced, while driving at normal speeds around town it stays at normal temperature (90) but take the car upto about 70 - 80mph and the temperature rises very quickly to about 120, slow down the temperature goes down to normal, when the car is cool I check the water levels and all is fine, no leaks etc. After the car had been attacked with the pellet, I stopped the car immediately, one through shock as you don't often see someone with an air-rifle pointing at you while driving! and also because she had lost all the water etc.
Can anyone help me solve this little problem.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have just had the radiator and airconditioner replaced (after it was shot at with an air-rifle while driving!!!!!)
Blimey! I hope you mowed the b*gger down :mad:

Could be a thermostat issue but other members more qualified than I should be able to give you a better idea of the likely problem.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I'd be looking at the thermostat or the fan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried but the bugger ran too fast!!!! The most frightening thing is I didn't know if it was a toy gun or a real one, and it all happend so quickly! Luckly it hit the radiator and not a little bit higher and through the screen!!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well it almost certainly wouldn't be the stat as they tend to fail open and as such over-cool the car (if it failed closed then the car would overheat almost immediately as no coolant at all would flow through the rad) ... so I would be pointing my finger at the fans ...

... do the fans come on?

It's a little odd that the temperature rises when going over 80-90, because at that speed you are getting more air flow through the rad due to the speed you are travelling ... (although I must admit my temp goes from about 87 to 90 when putting my foot down at those speeds) ... does the temperature increase when stationary???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the temperature stays the same while stationary, and the fans do come on, that was the first thing I thought of, the temperature only seems to rise when the revs get high or stay above 3000, ie on the motorway. And yes I was raging mad, had the wife and three kids in the car, I ran after the little S**T, but he had age on his side!!!! The repair was'nt too bad got the radiator from Just Alfa Spares in Liverpool.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
No the temperature stays the same while stationary, and the fans do come on, that was the first thing I thought of, the temperature only seems to rise when the revs get high or stay above 3000, ie on the motorway. And yes I was raging mad, had the wife and three kids in the car, I ran after the little S**T, but he had age on his side!!!! The repair was'nt too bad got the radiator from Just Alfa Spares in Liverpool.
Sounds like it might be an issue with the water pump then ... maybe it has some fins missing which means at higher revs it's not getting the coolant round quick enough (just a guess as I personally haven't had any problems with water pumps ...) ... when was it last changed???

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Actually, you might have an air lock somewhere, even though they are supposed to be self bleeding they can take a while to come out ...

... another thing I've heard on another thread (can't remember who from) is that it might be worth changing your coolant expansion tank lid, if it isn't holding the pressure then the system won't work as efficiently as it should

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it might be an issue with the water pump then ... maybe it has some fins missing which means at higher revs it's not getting the coolant round quick enough (just a guess as I personally haven't had any problems with water pumps ...) ... when was it last changed???
Thanks for that, I will look at the water pump, I've had the car 2 years and I have'nt had it changed, the only thing that has been done on the car since I've had it is, the dreaded Cambelt, (snapped) an exhaust, front discs and an alternator. I will change the expansion tank lid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try squeezing the top pipe on the rad and see if you can hear any bubbling or air on the lid of the coolant tank
Thanks Mike. Will try that when I get home from work.
I presume if I hear bubbling I have an air lock???? Sorry for sounding fik but I'm new to car mechanics!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Thanks Mike. Will try that when I get home from work.
I presume if I hear bubbling I have an air lock???? Sorry for sounding fik but I'm new to car mechanics!!!!!!!!
Don't worry I hadn't worked on a car since my old Sierra until I found this forum ... now I can blag with the best :thumbs:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Same as!!!!
If you hear it hissing, it could be that your lid is gone. Its supposed to be tight to create pressure in the system, but sometimes the seal goes on them

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just thinking about it now, I'd say if the coolant lid was gone, you'd lose some water, but as you are not losing water, its probably the water pump. The pump itself could be stopped, or the plastic impeller worn, or also, I have heard that sometimes the impeller gets loose and spins on the shaft of the pump at high revs, so effectively its NOT spinning, if you get my drift?? The shaft is spinning on the pump, but the impeller is not rotating fast enough to pump the water

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't worry I hadn't worked on a car since my old Sierra until I found this forum ... now I can blag with the best :thumbs:
Cheers, Yes its a good forum, only had the Alfa 2 and a bit years with hardly any problems apart from the ones listed above, but since being on the forum I have sorted out one problem that a mechanic was quoting a fortune on, the problem was the fuel injector warning light kept comming on and the car was losing power, after much head scratching the mechanic quoted stupid money to repair, after posting on the forum some one replied back with - "have you checked the ECU unit in the passenter foot well, check for loose cables etc". After carefully checking on a few wires and finding one loose and repositioning it back the warning light has never come back on.
Saved an absolute fortune!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats great to hear
Some very good help on here alright
Yep some sound advice, so at the end of the day, it looks very likely that its my water pump, so its off to the local car spares shop and order myself one.
Many thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yep some sound advice, so at the end of the day, it looks very likely that its my water pump, so its off to the local car spares shop and order myself one.
Many thanks for all the help.
The trouble with the changing the water pump is that it is cambelt change time too (as you can't retension a belt once it's been put on) ...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah. I'd try diagnose verything before doing it just to be sure
Also, try that coolant lid and the other thing could be the tension of the water pump belt. I assume the engine is not low on oil? Could also be the temp sensor on the resonator pipe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts