Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :

My 916 spider , run on the road the temperature was arrive in 90 degree level , and if stopping more than around 2 mins, the temperature gose to around 90~120 degree. ( without open the air-cond) if I run on the road with start the air-cond on then the temperature with keep in 90 degree , but when stop a mins , it rais untill 110 degree then drop down 90 degree. I dont' know what happen ? And can feel the head of the car is very hot!
before I remember the temperature is around 70~90 degree , but now it's very hight either I change a new temrmostat, new water tank , new Radiator , and those pipe, but this problem still have. :cry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi,

The car is running too hot. In stop start traffic and hot weather the temperature should not rise above 103 degrees. Hence 120 there is a problem.

When running (very debated topic) the car should run between 50 to 90 degrees, i personally think 50 -70 degrees is the correct temperature.

Have your cooling system checked, fluid levels and your thermo fans etc

All the best

Josh.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
When running (very debated topic) the car should run between 50 to 90 degrees, i personally think 50 -70 degrees is the correct temperature.
No,
90 degC is the perfect running temperature.
If it drops below 80 you need a new thermostat.

If it rises too far above 90 you need a new rad. There can also be failures with the resistors for the low speed fans.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mine runs at 90 never going below 80 and the fan kicks in just before 90. I have never seen her creep over 90, not even in stationary in stupid hot weather.
Yep, same here. Although I was asking the OP out of interest. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine always ran @ 90 deg, then one day i noticed the temp gauge went up while i was driving, and went into the red on a 70mph motorway run, when i dropped to 45 the temp gauge dropped again. The problem was the water pump impeller had loosened on the spined drive shaft, the impeller is made of plastic and eventually parts company with the metal shaft, replacing the pump cured it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cooling system , fluid level is normal , fan is work , but still can't find the main problem? Do you think is the coolant temp sensor problem? If I keep dairy use the car is it damage the engine or decrease the house power?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the temperature raise to 120 degree , ( air-cond off) , I really worry about will damage the engine and decrease the house power if I keep use the car dairy. So.... Now when temperature raise to 120ºC, I need to turn on the air-cond. then it drop back to 87ºC ~90ºC . The problem not only about coolant/ somewhere ( I through) , but will it be more problem happen. Don't want.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I advise you to STOP using your car until the problem is resolved. You are already damaging your car and running the risk of gasket/coolant pipe failure, even worse.

EDIT: If you must drive the car keep the heating on full and the fans also on full. A potential loss of power should be the last of your worries! Make sure all coolant pipes can be squeezed, bleed the cooling system (air locks can cause temp problems) and check thermostat opens/closes properly.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the fan.
Switching the A/C on will be forcing the fan to run, which is bringing the temperature back down again.

Keep the A/C on. There is no reason to turn it off anyway!

and find out why the fans are not working properly.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
...but I have mine mostly off as it seriously drains the power of my engine!
It shouldn't do.
The ECU will turn off the A/C if you ask for full power anyway.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It shouldn't do.
The ECU will turn off the A/C if you ask for full power anyway.
OK, I didn't know that. I do know that in 'normal' driving conditions I notice the lack of power with A/C on, just feels a little sluggish.

·
Vendor
46,138 Posts
I personally think 50 -70 degrees is the correct temperature.
That is too cold, running colder than 70 puts makes the engine run rich, not good for fuel economy or the lifespan of the cat converter. Around 90 degrees is the correct temperature, but you have to assume your gauge may be a few degrees out either way. You need a new thermostat if you are running between 50 to 70 degrees.

No,
90 degC is the perfect running temperature.
If it drops below 80 you need a new thermostat.

If it rises too far above 90 you need a new rad. There can also be failures with the resistors for the low speed fans.
+1

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same probelm. Have checked the radiator and water pump and changed the thermostat and one of the temp sensors.

The fans do cut in and bring the temp back down to just above 90 degress but still haven't found out why temp oscillates so much

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
similar prob to mine, check the rad condition. not the front aircon but the main rad behind it, run a finger nail accross the fins to see if they crumble. mine is quite rotten and hits high temps in go slow driving resulting in the fan kicking in every 30 seconds, but on the motorway the rushing air keeps the temp gauge down to about 70.

This has been compounded this week by a faulty relay under the passenger engine cover and the fans failed resulting in an overheat.

car goes in wed. for a new rad, stat, coolant bottle(split) and a check of all the elec for the fans :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts