Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The temperature gauge on my 2000 Spider used to normally sit below 90deg. These days, after driving for 5 or 10 mins, especially if the car sits idle in traffic, the temperature goes above 90deg, sometimes up to 110deg and doesn't go back below 90.

However, if I turn on the climate control, then the temperature gauge performs normal and does not exceed 90 deg (as I believe it should).

Any ideas? and what should be normal temperature?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had problems with the temperature of my 2.0 GTV, only mine was running cold. Since fitting a new thermostat she runs at around 75 - 80 degrees after about 10 mins.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Turning on climate control on many cars overrides the thermostatic cooling fan switches to get enough air through the cooling 'pack' to keep the engine cool and operate the A/C. I suggest whatever switch it is that normally controls the cooling fans needs looking at.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
What Wrenched said.

The fan switch isn't working when the temperature goes to 92C. It's supposed to cool you down to 88C.

With a/c on, the fan is running permanently (I think I read) so you don't get the overheating in the first place.

The thermo' switch is a 22mm plug (or similar) bolted into the radiator. It'll have a pair of wires leading to it.

Ralf S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts