Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Need a new bloomin Engine !!!

:mad: Hi all,

I'm probably being a bit paranoid, but wanted to ask everyone on here for your opinion on this:

My Blackline is now a little over 7 months old and just done about 6800 miles.

I've noticed recently that the temp gauge is actually moving after it's warmed up. By this I mean that it takes the usual 10 mins or so to reach halfway (I think this is 90 deg) and normally it just stays there for the entire journey. (My old GT used to do this as well, so to me that's normal).

However, over the last couple of weeks, doing the same journey the temperature has been climbing occasionally, but on most days to approx 3/4 of the way up the guage. The fan does kick in which brings it down, but it does head back up again fairly quickly if not moving that fast.

So, is this a potential problem, or is it just the norm when moving in traffic ?

I guess the reason for asking is that after owning a GT for nearly 2 years I have never seen it move beyond 90 degrees ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andy

*********UPDATE*************
Just been told that it's a coolant leak, caused by a split in the engine block ! Needs a new engine :-(

Anyone got an idea as to how long this sort of thing takes ????
I pray it's under warranty. It's only 8 months old so I sure hope it is !!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Andy,

My 1.9 JTD has never gone above 90oC which is half way like you say, even in traffic or ideling for ages.

If it were me I'd check the obvious, like oil and water levels, just to make sure, use the dipstick not just the digital display.

Hope it's something obvious..

SB

·
Registered
119 Posts
traffic will do that, once your oil\water levels ect are ok, dont woory about it untill it gets near over heating. would do somthing about it if you are reaching 110 oc regularly.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Does the GT have a 2 stage fan?

The stage 1 mode (above 90 degrees) in my 156 is not coming on so the temp rises above 95 degrees until the second mode comes on which is alot faster and brings it back down to 90.

Just had a temperature sensor fitted which hasnt cured it but means the problem is hopefully just the resistor in the radiator.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That temperature is far too high ... especially as you're driving a diesel which tend to produce a lot less heat than petrols ... if your car is only 7 months old then get it booked in ASAP to get it sorted ... (if it does have a 2 stage fan than one of the connectors might have become dislodged) ... but as it should still be under warranty personally I let the dealer investigate and sort it out ... :thumbs:

·
Registered
216 Posts
My Blackline has done twice the mileage and has never gone above 90 degrees. At 90, when idling, the first stage fan cuts in. Can you hear this cut in (it's clearly audible when standing outside the car)? If not, then you should so that would probably indicate a problem. I'd get someone to check it, especially if it's still in warranty, doesn't harm to have it checked out. Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I reckon Laptop Matt is on the right lines - if the slow speed fan regulating resistor has failed open circuit (hapens quite a lot from what I've read on the forum, though not usually so soon) then the fan wont come on slow speed at just above 90deg - which normally means the temp stays steady around 90.

Then when the temp gets up to the high speed fan setting - somewhere about 3/4 way round the temp dial - the fans come on high speed which brings the temp down again (to a bit above 90 on my car).

You can easily check by using a bit of wire and 2 spade connectors to jumper between the two connectors that go into the fan resistor, effectively shorting the circuit across the fan - if everything else is ok, the fan should come on at the higher speed at just above 90.
The fan is fitted on the panel mounted on the rear of the radiator - held in by a couple of screws and has 2 conectors on the back into which the wiring loom plugs.

Also, try switching the a/c on - it should cause the fan to pulse run, holding the temp around 90 - if this doesn't happen, suspect the resistor (or possibly the slow speed fan relay).

I have similar symptoms on my car, and one of my fan resistors has failed. However, I've worked out that my fans only come on slow at the higher temp now, so suspect the temp sensor. See thread for a bit more, it may help you... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/137063-156-v6-cooling-fan-puzzle-temp-sender.html#post2082376

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
You have a problem, it should never pass 90'c and if you have forward motion when it does then there is something up, even if it's justan airlock it needs sorting, you may have one of the extremely rare stuck CLOSED thermostats, I say rare because for every 1000000 open ones there must be 1 closed, but I have seen 1 and yes I thought it was head gasket at first but a compression test proved it not to be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your help.

Think I'm going to get it booked in and looked at by the garage as it's still under warranty.

I noticed this morning that when at 90 deg there is a noise like a fan coming from the front of the car. This is permanently present. Then when the temp climbs to 110 a much louder/faster fan comes on until the temp drops to 90 again and then the noise goes again, leaving only the quieter fan (or whatever it is) running.

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you op the bonnet before it gets to 90, you will be able to see the fan on the back of the radiator coming on to confirm that.

Let us know how you get on with the dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after a day where it reached 120 degrees, I decided to be a man and actually lift the bonnet.

Stunned to see that the engine coolant was empty !!!
Took it straight to the garage this morning to get it filled up and they did a quick check to see if there were any obvious leaks but they couldn't find anything.

Had to book it back in for them to look at next week. They have said that they will need it for 2 days, so not entirely sure what they suspect it will be.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Well, after a day where it reached 120 degrees, I decided to be a man and actually lift the bonnet.

Stunned to see that the engine coolant was empty !!!
Took it straight to the garage this morning to get it filled up
Do I gather from that info that you kept driving it with the coolant empty... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
well at least you checked (eventually:eek: )!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
David C - No, as soon as I saw that there was no coolant, I took it straight to the garage, which luckily is approx 200metres from my house!

There are definitely some issues though, as it didn't want to start properly yesterday, seemed to only fire on a few cylinders for a little while, and there is an almost constant high pitched whine in the cabin now as soon as the engine is one. I thought it was the heater at first, but turned that off and it was still there.

Be glad when its back in the garage next week for a full investigation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Need a new engine :-(

Just had a call saying it needs a new engine as the block has a crack which is why the coolant is leaking. :-(

Anyone else ever had this happen ??

BOoooooooooooooo !!!!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Where is the crack?
Usually the crack will have been due to the lack of coolant and not the cause of the coolant loss.

Going through the old posts in this thread.
It looks like there were 2-weeks between you first saying it was running hot and you actually opening the bonnet and seeing the coolant was empty.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
... if your car is only 7 months old then get it booked in ASAP to get it sorted ...
:rolleyes: ASAP obviously equates to a few weeks then ...

Going through the old posts in this thread.
It looks like there were 2-weeks between you first saying it was running hot and you actually opening the bonnet and seeing the coolant was empty.
The only problems I've ever had with alfa's have always been through my own doing ... actually the only problems I've had with ANY car I've had is through my own doing ... oh well live and learn I suppose ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I queried the initial explanation I was given and after speaking with someone who did actually understand what they were talking about it turns out that it's not a crack. After much investigation it seems that the engine block is pourous and is going to need replacing.

All covered under warranty fortunately, but looks like it's going to be off the road for a couple of weeks at the very least.
In the meantime, I get to drive a 1.9D Saab 93 as the hire car they have provided.

Not great but at least it's a replacement car, although an Alfa would have been nicer.

It is no doubt going to effect the re-sale value of the car so I'll have to take this up with Alfa as well, but for now I'm just relieved that the problem has been identified and can be fixed.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
If the engine is a new replacement, rather than a reconditioned one, then it should not affect resale value surely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
do the 2.0 jts have an issue with reliability? as ive seen simialr threads in search

i have just bought a 156 2.0 jts pherhaps they didnt have enough coolant capacity or have a hot spot

but all those that have complained about rising coolant temp have been 2.0jts

mine is very smooth and quick its a lovley engine and ive looked and it does ave a tiny radiator ive got an mr2 1.6 and its rad it miles bigger ,my bmw330ci had a huge rad ,this one is very small compared

1 - 20 of 25 Posts