Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp is always at 90 and goes to 100 and the fans kick in. Is this ok I know the fans are doing there jon but it ses to be this way most of the time on short runs & around town. When I am on open road it drops back to 70 & 80. Do these cars always run this hot or is there something I can do about it ?

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Stat

My temp is always at 90 and goes to 100 and the fans kick in. Is this ok I know the fans are doing there jon but it ses to be this way most of the time on short runs & around town. When I am on open road it drops back to 70 & 80. Do these cars always run this hot or is there something I can do about it ?
It's probably the thermostat, I've had exactly the same with a couple of V6s & changed the stat which cured the fans coming in late. Basically the stat's not opening fully & the engine is running slightly hotter than the radiator. When on the open road the air cools the radiator more.

You can easily check this with an infra red thermometer which should show the engine/stat running at 100 but the top of the rad only 90ish.

Call me for any more info.

Clive

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Just changed mine. It would take ages to get up to around 70-80. Then eventually get to 90 sitting in traffic.
Now it goes to 90 after a couple of miles, and stays there, in traffic/motorway/anywhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have mine to do as well, twin spark engine if anyone has the part number for the stat and seal.
Does it have a gasket? or a seal?

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Self service......... learn Fiat Eper

Thanks for all the advice. Clive do you know the part number ?
I have mine to do as well, twin spark engine if anyone has the part number for the stat and seal.
just give your chassis number to an Alfa dealer (or reg number to your local motor factors for the TS, V6 is only main agent...I think) or search Fiat Eper:FIAT ePER

Edit: or of course there's always Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-P...CarParts_SM&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

Clive

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stat all checked out now and nothing wronge with it. Also coolant checked and all is ok with anti freeze levels. Also had my top engine mount replaced happy days. The car shouldn't cost me any more this year now. I used a new garage local to me in brands hatch called Day & white alfa Romeo. They were very friendly and halpful I will be using them all the time from now on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts