Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope all is well, I have a bit of a problem with my 156 sele, it was not getting up to temperature at all so immediately checked out the thermostat and when I looked at it it was stuck open, so I promptly changed it, with the battery disconnected maf and temp sender removed, put all back together, topped ip and bled the system all seems well, or so I thought. I took it for spin today and it is very jerky low end revs but above 3000 seems to be okay. I forgot to mention injector light on dash sorry, so I unplugged the maf and it drives like crap still no different, so im thinking could be the temp sender as the o2 sensors new, what else can I do? Thanks

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
it does sound like a possiblity, cheap easy fix too, if it does not work it will have to go on a diagnostic to track down the exact problem though. IIRC they are about £12 or so and used on loads of Fiats too so redily available. The other thing it may be is a coil pack if is misfiring at low revs and seem to run OK at higher revs, often No1 as it gets slopped with oil.

HTH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of changing it regardless as a new thermostat with an old sender screwed in it is not how I should of done it but I just ordered the stat and assumed it would be in there but when I got home it wasn't so I was sort of stuck with it all apart so I put it back together hoping it would be okay, I might unscrew the sparkplugs in a bit as it's been running rich from the stat for a while so I'll investigate in a mo but it's freezing out lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone I managed to get sorted after all. Was a bit of a nightmare but an easy fix in the end, I got my mechanic to change the coolant temp sensor and hook it up it to diagnostics to clear all previous codes but it was hard to start and generally running like a pig. So we investigated further but nothing was showing on his machine so i drove it for a test and it had a hoooge flatspot at around 4000 rpm and would not rev freely basically in limp mode with jerky running and idle so i concluded maf was dead after ecu reset. So we hooked it up again and this confirmed maf failure. Oh dear 130 quid more out of pocket as he had one ready to go at his garage. as he was fitting it he noticed the old one was in the wrong way round and I see it too, apparently down to his apprentice who was now gone home so we switched it around the correct way and voila! perfect readings and zero pounds out of pocket as he was so embarrased he waived the diagnostics fees of 25 pounds. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha, nice one indeed.
My temps are a bit low as well, its not stopping right of the 90 mark. Probably a symptom of the thermostat going bad.
Gonna check this out this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts