Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just to put my mind at rest. I have a late 2003 156 16v jtd m-jet sportwagon. When you put you foot down can you see the temp gauge rise. Its not massively quick but creeps up from just under the mark between 50 and 90 up to 90 (takes about 40 of spirited to get to 90). At this point I usually get a bit worried and stop. Don't really want to see if it will get any hotter. In traffic it will go above 90 about half way between the 90 mark and the next mark before the fans all kick in and it cool it (this takes a good few minutes mind). Having never had a turbo car before is this normal. I've had friends say that the temp rises due to the turbo compressing the air when you are giving it some. makes sense but I just want to know!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat is gone as it should be around 90 all the time. Given the age of the car, the radiator may well be on the way out too, which means it gets hotter in traffic and the fans take longer to cool it down.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only just bought the car but the service book says it's had a radiator on it in the last two years. The car doesn't seem to have a problem cooling itself once the fans go on. (about 10 seconds to get it back to normal in traffic). I'll still check it though.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Definiately sounds like the stat has gone ... the stat should be closed until the car reaches about 82deg at which point it starts to open, therefore up to this point no water will pass through the radiator and therefore it will not get cooled (well not very much anyway), therefore the temperature should get up to the operating temperature (of about 88-92deg) pretty quickly and just stay there ...

When was the last time your water pump was changed? if the temperature is increasing rapidly over the 90deg mark then maybe some fins are missing from the pump and it's not moving the water round quick enough to cool it ...

... saying that get the stat sorted first and then see how it goes ... :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the car had done 900000 miles when I bought it. had to do the cambelt cos the tensioner was so knackered I was amazed the belt hadn't come off. I felt the waterpump then. The bearings ok but i must admit I didn't pull it out to look at the fins. Any more suggestions? keep em coming just in case it isn't the stat. I have just ordered one though so a busy weekend awaits! lol

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The problem is definiately the stat ... and if the fans are successfully getting the temp down then there isn't too much of a problem with the rest of the heating system ...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is there a guide anywhere on changing the stat on a 16V JTD? i have used the search on here and googled it and cant find any info at all. got to change my stat and would like to see.

Is it listed in the workshop manual for the car? as i have one of them on the way from ebay.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I changed the stat on my JTD following the instructions in eLearn ...

(if you don't have a copy, do a search for "workshop manual" ...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts