Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally booked the car to be taken in on Friday for a service and some other bits and bobs. One problem I was aware of was the engine running cold, research on here has lead me to believe the thermostat needs to be replaced.

However today, after phoning the garage and booking it in for Friday, I'm on my way home from work and the Engine Management warning light came on after about 5 minutes. I was on the M3. I pulled over as I was worried that I would damage the engine further by continuing to drive it, especially at 70.

AA man came, checked oil, water and plugged laptop into car. Fault code read:
"P0115 Engine coolant temperature sensor"

He reset the code again and said that I should be ok to drive home but to get it to the garage ASAP. The warning light didn't come on again for the rest of the journey (about 35 miles).

However, with the cold weather while traveling above 50 mph, the temp sensor was well below the 50 mark! When in stop start traffic went temp went up to 90 and then the fans kicked in and brought it down again.

Question: Would the car be ok to drive or should I not tempt fate and wait until I take it into the garage in Friday?

Would really appreciate thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
tbh i think it wil be alright till friday, it isn't going to get THAT cold now after the big freeze. your car will be running pretty rich though as the ecu will be working on cold running. personally, i would have the stat changed and the temp sender at the same time. hope it helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbh i think it wil be alright till friday, it isn't going to get THAT cold now after the big freeze. your car will be running pretty rich though as the ecu will be working on cold running. personally, i would have the stat changed and the temp sender at the same time. hope it helps.
Thanks. Not taking the car out today anyway as it's a bit snowy.

Would appreciate anyone elses thoughts though...

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
tbh i think it wil be alright till friday, it isn't going to get that cold now after the big freeze. Your car will be running pretty rich though as the ecu will be working on cold running. Personally, i would have the stat changed and the temp sender at the same time. Hope it helps.
+1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts