Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Noticed today the temperature gauge was going up towards the top end and back to the middle a few times during a short journey.

is this a coolant leak issue? Any tips on where I should start?

· Registered
1,474 Posts
First see if there is coolant in your expansion tank.

There could be an air lock in the system. Have you had any work done on the car recently? Or have you just bought it?

How short is a short journey?

What sort of engine do you have in your car?

Does the heater work?

· Registered
162 Posts
Last time I had an issue like this was a hiundai i40... 🫣 After 10-20 minutes gauge kept jumping up then settles then up. It was a radiator leak, AA guy put magic liquid in it and it was gone.. 🧐 Punted it 2 months later and bought my 159...🤓 WBAC were never to know.. 😁😁

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took another look this morning as previously (2 weeks ago) the coolant was full. This morning it was pretty much empty so have filled up again but imagine I’ve got a leak somewhere?

Only had the car 4 weeks on Monday
Engine is 2.2 JTS spider
Journey was about 30 miles round trip

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Radiator, hoses, hose clamps, waterpump are all possible leak areas. Without getting under the car and removing some panels and having a good look leaks can be hard to spot. Sometimes you might be able to see steam.

If water is mixing with the oil, then that indicates a head gasket issue or possible oil cooler issue. If the coolant is clean, and engine oil is clean then it's unlikely to be that.

If it has coolant in it, and not just water you should be able to smell it, and also when it dries crystal like deposits should be left behind.

Common for coolant leaks to occur where the metal part and plastic tanks of the radiator come together.

The temp gauge was probably going up and down because it was low on coolant. Hopefully it never got into the red zone.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike!

Took it back to the garage I bought it from and they said there was a loose hose causing the leak. Conscious it could have been anything and would be really interested to see if there’s anything I can test now I have it back to make sure there isn’t any serious problem with the head gasket or anything else?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also to mention I checked the oil dipstick and it seemed very thin and runny oil (charcoal black colour) and it came up about 1/3 up the dipstick. Is this normal? I thought it should only be above the max line near the bottom and consistency would be different like it has been on my other cars

· Registered
1,474 Posts
It might be overdue an oil change. When was it last serviced? Time and mileage? After running the engine, check the oil level after 5 minutes from switching off. Remove the dipstick, clean the dipstick reinsert and then remove again to check the level. It should be between min and max.

For direct injection vehicles and ones with timing chains it's important to not neglect oil changes.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently serviced before I bought it (October 2022) 90800 miles and I’ve done about 400 miles in it in the last month I’ve had it.

I’ll check after running for 5 mins and reply back in the morning.
Thanks again.

· Registered
374 Posts
Apparently serviced before I bought it (October 2022) 90800 miles and I’ve done about 400 miles in it in the last month I’ve had it.

I’ll check after running for 5 mins and reply back in the morning.
Thanks again.
If it's any help, my 2.2 would turn the oil black at that sort of mileage after an oil change - same kind of mileage as your car has done too. Running one of those oil system cleaner things through it didn't make a difference, so it might be just that they turn it dark very quickly. If memory serves right it holds ~5.5l of oil, and whenever I'd service it it would only need ~5l so there'd always be half a litre of old stuff floating about inside still which will discolour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts