Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i bought my 156 2.0 jts 28k miles last week absolutly love it

but when i bought it i sussed out straight away that the thermostat had gone as it never went over 70 and on coasting went down to under 50

so this morning i had it changed by an alfa specailist (something i would normally do myself but as the car was new to me and i have no manual plus it only cost 40 quid labour )

but now! and this maybe normal ! i dont know

it gets upto 90 c then drops a little when the thermostat opens (great:thumbs: ) but and completely randomly starts to go upto about 95-100 it does then drop but i am alittle worried about it ,it never gets to the mark after the 90 c mark ,but if somebody else has the same car let me know what yours does

I expected it to stay solid on 90c and never move at all ,and the fan to come but no movement

any ideas or am i just being a windy,wingeing,wining alfa owner

thanks ,chris

·
Registered
497 Posts
I read somewhere that alfa temp gauges are a bit different to other cars - wheras other cars use a sort of average, and changes to the temp dont show on the gauge unless it starts to get very high / low.
However alfa assume drivers of their cars know a bit more about their car, so show a truer temp, including all the dips and highs as the thermostat and fan do their bits.

This could be wrong, but im sure i read it on this site a while ago

And mine does almost the same - though i still have a bad rad so runs a bit hotter

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
95-100 is a bit high ... for your car you have 2 fan speeds, the slow one kicks in just after 90 deg (92ish??) and the other (fast) at about 100 deg, it depends what you are doing at the time ... first thing to check would be if the fan is comming on at the 92 deg mark, if it is then you rad will probably need replacing as it might be shot (they do wear out) check for corrosion/loose fins etc, if it doesn't come on then it is likely to be you low speed fan resistor (which is mounted on the fan), pull out the connector and have a look ...

... as I said first thing to do is to check when the fans come on, it could be something else but these are the first things to check ..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive just been reading up on old threads and i think the low speed fan resistor is shot ,a common problem apparently ,so on fixing the thermostat ive found a new problem ,to be honest the temp rose this high before the thermostat was replaced in traffic after a long run ,but it needs addressing anybody know where the resistor is on a 2.0 jts ,can it be replaced and also how much?(credit crunch in mind lol)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
ive just been reading up on old threads and i think the low speed fan resistor is shot ,a common problem apparently ,so on fixing the thermostat ive found a new problem ,to be honest the temp rose this high before the thermostat was replaced in traffic after a long run ,but it needs addressing anybody know where the resistor is on a 2.0 jts ,can it be replaced and also how much?(credit crunch in mind lol)

If it's like all the other 156's it's physically mounted on the fan, check it first before replacing it though ... with my TS all I did was unplug it and then plug it back in again and it worked :thumbs: ... note though it might also be your relay (although less likely) ... as for cost I wouldn't think it would be much considering it is just a resistor ... if things are really that tight then you could always just short ciruit the resistor in which case the fan will run in high speed mode ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gonna have a good look for it tomorrow when its lighter

and maybe try and find a part number or order one if theyre inexpensive

thanks for the advice

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
i will replace it then
Have you checked it see if the low speed fan comes on at all? also if it doesn't there may be another reason, best thing to do (before you buy a new one) is to fully test your current one, with mine all I had to do was unplug it then re-plug it in and it worked, next step you could try would be bypassing the resistor so that it comes on in high speed mode when the ECU is requesting low speed (obviously if you pull it out and it is a shot as the one in Smaky's picture then time to get a new one ...:thumbs:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha! ha! owning an alfa is really a roller coaster ride ,the remote wont work now lol

i should imagine its just the battery lol

I was gonna check the resistor but i'm gonna get a new batt for the remote now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts