Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature gauge in my 05' GT always sits between 70 and 90 and is fluctuating when driving. It doesn't overheat at all, the heaters seem to work quite well and it takes about 10-15 minutes for the gauge to get up to temperature.

I have noticed that over the last 3k miles I have had to top the coolant up a little bit. It seems to drop to just below the min line and then stay there, it doesn't drop any further, or seem to anyway.

Any ideas? I'm thinking thermostat?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
temp should be at 90, and get there withing 2 to 3 miles in my case, only time mine drops away from 90 is on long downhills where the air cools a relaxed engine

no idea why fluids going down, mine as been brim full for the 10K i have done in it, same for the oil, doesnt use a thing

Gary

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The temp gauge is not linear. The line below 90 is 80 not 70 so the car is fluctuating between 80 and 90 which is perfectly normal as this is the working temp of the thermostat. Relax :). Mine does exactly the same in this cold weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read the temp gauge is supposed to get up to an indicated 90 in the 147/gt and then stay there, not fluctuate between just under 90 and then down 4 notches (indicates 70).

Also, the coolant going down a little bit concerns me. It isn't dropping rapidly and it is something I am keeping an eye on.

Has anyone else experienced this and had any problems/fixes? or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ah sorry I'm thinking 156:wall: However your 1.9 engine characteristics sound similar to mine. It takes 10 mins or so to warm up and looses a bit of water. I've checked all hoses and looked at waterpump when I did the cambelt to see if it had been weaping but nothing. Changed the stat as mine was duff so you could have a sticky one perhaps. As for the leak if you ever find it I'd be interested to know. All I can assume is its a weaping headgasket on mine but at 170,000 miles it still seems fine

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine 1.9 JTD stays at 80 C in winter and 90 C in summer, with temperatures below 0, car needs 10 min to warm up. Guess this is normal?

·
Banned
857 Posts
When I had my blocked plenum drains problem and the windscreen was always misted up I was running the heater at its highest temperature setting for long periods and I noticed that was the only time the temp gauge would take longer than a few minutes to reach 90.

So, the ambient temperatures and usage of the heater can affect the gauge up to a point.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
When I had my blocked plenum drains problem and the windscreen was always misted up I was running the heater at its highest temperature setting for long periods and I noticed that was the only time the temp gauge would take longer than a few minutes to reach 90.

So, the ambient temperatures and usage of the heater can affect the gauge up to a point.
absolutely on diesels:thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts