Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i've only owed this v6 for a couple of days and i have noticed,
both the temp gauge and engine fan are not working?!?!?

Could they be linked?

I got power up to the fan but its not kicking in!

Where is the sender that would trigger the fan? or would it be safe to say the fan motor has died?

As for the temp gauge, any help would be ace! as this is my daily driver and having no idea what the engine is doing is scary!

cheers

Edd

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
You could try a fly-lead from the battery +ve to one of the fan terminals, earth to the other, to see if that makes the fan start.
if the fan does not run with power applied directly, then i would say fan is probably shot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
check the flat metal fuses that are in the black box in front of the oil dipstick. That was where the prob was when mine stopped.. :thumbs:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
OK, on the fan panel mounted to the radiator there is a resistor, held in with 2 philips #2 screws, these resistors brek up and corrode badly, they also are the last thing in the circuit before the fan, you can use a shorting link between the 2 wires that plug into it and as the car reaches fan temp the fan will kick in full speed, the resistors are £25 from Alfa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Slight update, ive managed to get the fan working on a switch for now!! just a small bodge! :lol:

Ive spoken to my local alfa dealer and according to them they can no longer get the resistor?!?!?!
And whilst i was there i asked for the heater matrix tap (the one that seams to poor water into the n/s footwell!) they also cant get that now?

I think there mugging me off!!!!

Any one know of any other models that has the same fan/resistor?

cheers for the help pep's! :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Even if they don't fit directly you could probably MAKE a resistor from a 156 fit ... the alternative would be just to bypass the resistor, this would mean that when the ECU turns on the low speed function the fan would run at high speed, not ideal but it would work (and bring the temperature down quicker!!)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It's probably the same as in the 164, part number is 60609114... should still be available! :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eddie
Have you actually confirmed that the resistor is without any function, or have you just bypassed the resistor?
Im yet to get the multimeter across the resistor to see whats happening! I been working untill late, so have had little time to spare for either car!!!

It seams to me that the relay isnt switching? i got power to it but if i take the cover off the relay and push the contact across the fan fires up!
sooo........... Im thinking its the fan switch or relay that is faulty.

Where is the switch that controls the fan???

This is so long winded!!! lol :mad:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
It seams to me that the relay isnt switching? i got power to it but if i take the cover off the relay and push the contact across the fan fires up!
Have you tried another relay in there ??
or checked to make sure the contacts where the relay plugs in aren't dirty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tried another relay in there ??
or checked to make sure the contacts where the relay plugs in aren't dirty
Not tried another relay yet! i need to try find one really!! lol
But i have had the fuse/relay box out and its nice and clean in there so im not to worried about the contacts in there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts