Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..couple of 166 questions for you 166ists;

what i sort of have my eye on is a 2.5 sportronic, 00 sort of vintage. i know the 2.5 lacks torque low down.. are four gears enough to keep it on the boil..?

how do you think they take high miles..?

i also want the original 17" wheels.. the 5 hole ones. do these really upset the ride..? has anyone had any luck tracking them down as an aftermarket purchase..?

did the 2.5 come with xenons? haven't driven one at night but i've heard the regular dips aren't the best..?

is there a 2.5 "super"..? as i understand it the 3.0 super sits a little lower and has different brakes.. anything else?

sort of fancy the wooden steering wheel.. was this available on the 2.5?

any other comments welcome, but before anyone suggests the 3.0, i'm trying to keep tax and insurance down.. roadtax in ireland is cc based :(

thanks..

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
what i sort of have my eye on is a 2.5 sportronic, 00 sort of vintage. i know the 2.5 lacks torque low down.. are four gears enough to keep it on the boil..?
Depends on what you expect. It is a bit lazy.
how do you think they take high miles..?
Very good. If they're treated right.

i also want the original 17" wheels.. the 5 hole ones. do these really upset the ride..? has anyone had any luck tracking them down as an aftermarket purchase..?
The 166 has a pretty firm ride, but the 17" should do fine. I have them on mine. I've seen a couple on eBay.

did the 2.5 come with xenons? haven't driven one at night but i've heard the regular dips aren't the best..?
It did come with xenons. You can always get an aftermarket kit which is IMO better then the original. I have 6000K on mine.

is there a 2.5 "super"..? as i understand it the 3.0 super sits a little lower and has different brakes.. anything else?
Only 3.0 V6 and 2.0 V6 Turbo were available as Super.

sort of fancy the wooden steering wheel.. was this available on the 2.5?
Yes. I have wood in my 166 2.5 which BTW I'm trying to get rid of.:lol:

Cheers,
C ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2.5 sportronic and love it -despite the cambelt snapping and costing me a couple of grand. Mine is 00 and while it lacks the punch of a 3 litre it does all I want. The gearchange is smooth and fuel consumption is around 24mpg with 27-28 on a run if you keep the speed down.

My standard lights are poor but adequate - don't know about the wooden steering wheel or the 5 hole wheels but I wouldn't put you off the 2.5 as a price/power compromise.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
you could alsways get it squadra chipped and intake runners for less than £500 I think this ups the lower and top end grunt.

·
Registered
38,280 Posts
I had a 2.5 156 manual and was quite dissapointed with it. You need to work the engine to make any progress and yes it does lack torque.
IMO the 3 litre is a much better car.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..thanks for all the replies. actually went to see one at the weekend but got stood-up :(
anyhow i'm in no hurry, so it's a matter of keeping an eye on the classifieds until the one i want come up again.. not a whole lot of them around here really.

btw, squadra not an option on the tuning front here in ireland cos we don't get super unleaded anymore. has anyone come across any other worthwhile tuning for the 2.5..?

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
You can just get the bigger intake runners, maybe 3.0 injectors (not needed really) and get a ECU remap to get more fuel.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Don't know about this 2.5 lacking torque thing mine is quite happy to sit at 20 mph in 5th gear & accelerate fairly briskly when you put your foot down a trick the old M5 was never happy with although it's 5th was admitedly slightly taller, the car was also lighter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts