Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, quite frankly do these guys bother?

I work from home 2 days a week and at the moment receive on average 4 calls a day wanting to sell me **** that I have no interest in buying.

I am ex-directory and have registered my number with the TPS and still these irritants get hold of my number.

And it is always the same format - answer the phone, get a slight pause before the person on the other end (usually English not the first language - no problem with this but surely being able to be understood by prospective clients on the phone is a prerequisite) wants to speak to Mr (intial) (initial) (surname).

I try to be polite but my patience runs ever thin :mad:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Better still are the silent calls - where the autodialler makes a connection but doesn't have an agent to pass it to! These really annoy me. Don't start on the pre-recorded message calls.

M

·
0 Posts
get the same myself and generally from mobile phone companies..drives me up the fecking wall...

·
Super Moderator
60,031 Posts
Better still are the silent calls - where the autodialler makes a connection but doesn't have an agent to pass it to! These really annoy me. Don't start on the pre-recorded message calls.

I get these ones too, empty air on the other side ? crazy. I guess I should get call display but don't want to give the telephone co any more money.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
what stui says....

very few calls these days - generally get ones with firms I do business with until I tell them to go away...

Simes.

N

·
0 Posts
I've ditched my fixed line and just
use a mobile and jajah now.

Yet to get any junk calls on it.

;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Everyone that knows us knows to speak immediately, if we get the pause at the other end we just hang up.

Had one try 8 times in a day, in the end i carried along with them (was a centre trying to sell mobiles on a cold call basis) right up until the point where the sale would be made.

Started laughing, said "now you know how it feels to have your time wasted" then hung up.:D :D :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

They haven't phoned back. :lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I love to wind them up and waste thier time.
Not that I'm raicist, but when their calling from overseas i've used the following :
Just keep telling them that you can't understand them
Ask them how the weather is
Ask them for their bank details and password
Try selling them something
Pretending to speak either French or Welsh confuses them.

If it's a u.k. company
Put them on hold (silence/mute button on phone)
String them along, at the end just say no thanks
Leave the phone on the table so they are talking to thin air
Tell them there has just been a death in the family
Pretend your either very deaf or confused or both.
Act paranoid, how did you get my name? number? etc.

Turn it into a game and enjoy every moment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
LOL i usually give the phone to my 4 year old son who will happily chat about nothing for ages and ages,99% of them just give in and hang up,only 1 didnt some woman selling kitchens chatted b0ll0x to my son for nearly 5 minutes,he got bored and gave the phone back to me lol

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yeah used to get this a lot; but since registering with TPS it has reduced a lot
It doesn't always but it should stop these types of calls altogether !! :)

I've registered all our phones inc. mobiles !! :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
BTW... I've said this before here before but do what my mates Dad used to do...

Tell them "Can you hang on a moment I've just got something on the boil (etc etc etc)? I'll just be couple of seconds !"

Then he would just walk away leaving them hanging on !! When he returned to the phone 10/20/30 minutes later surprisingly they've hung up !! :p :D

:lol:

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Someone I worked with used to use this script on any telesales calls:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

One afternoon, he actually got a cold call from a telesales company on his office extension and followed the script to the letter......

....... the telephone call lasted 10 minutes and he actually got to the end of the script!!!!

I was laughing so much almost wet myself.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Thats great, i'll keep it by the phone for next time

·
Registered
611 Posts
Most of these companies use the same name lists, and if you are a complete time waster they will mark it against your name and reduce the chances of being called.

A funny one i heard about or read somewhere,

A guy receives a call at home from a tele sales rep. The guy is polite and asks the callers name, and a few other pleasantries are exchanged. Eventually the guy asks for the Reps home number. "Sir I cannot give you my number" the rep replies.
"Why" asks the guy, "Is it because you don't want people phoning you and annoying the crap out of you at home?" and hangs up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts