Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have the oportunity to buy some 16'' Teledials which came off a 147. Will they fit my phase 1 spider?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Should be OK I have 3 sets of wheels for my 98 GTV they all have same PCD and offset, original wheels, velouche wheels, and 5 hole disc wheels all 16in

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
16" teles look really BADDDDDDDDDD they look like balloons for tyres and they don't fill arches, do it properly and do the 17" teles its a much better look / upgrade

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
while they will fit i think there is issues with them sitting further in to the hub and maybe even issues with the lenth of the bolt studs also

well yes Welcome to the Site Eddie................ loads of people here all willing to part with advice

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have 16 teles on my Spider coz I prefer them to the standard pepper pots. I would prefer 17s but don't think the 16s look too bad. I did put 10mm hubcentric spacers on the rear as the offset seems to be smaller and they are too far inset in the arches without. I don't seem to notice it on the front though.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
ET30.5 is the correct offset for a Spider Ph1 or2. If your wheels have a different offset (they will be marked somewhere) they will not look or fit the same.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Clarkes Alfa Breakers have a set of 17 teles at a good price - here

Oh, and Wheelnut - that's a lovely picture of a lovely looking car
Thanks Swallow. I think that this is a personal thing and I want my car to be to my taste, hence the wheels, phase 2 grille, phase 2 Momo seats etc...... Purists may not approve, but I love it!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had the 16" tele's on a phase 1 a few years ago. I had problems with them clipping the rear suspension when cornering hard because the wheels sit that much closer to the body (offset of 40mm IIRC). Spacers are needed really (as Wheelnut says).

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
purely for the sake of comparison (and because I want to show my v6 off)

here's a pic of mine with 17 teledials, taken on the day my Fiat went to it's new owner. Sold it to fund the Gtv after 13 years of ownership - a sad day and a happy day all in one.

IMG_1243 by vespaloco, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
As wheelnut's picture shows they look fine, will give a softer more comfortable ride over 17"( 156 16" Teles run 205/55...GTV 16s run 205/50, 17s run 225/45), are much cheaper to buy.....including the tyres when needed.

I'd fit with 15mm hubcentric spacers front & rear. The 'clipping' of the inner suspension mentioned earlier was probably a wheel weight rather than the rim itself, spacing will cure this & fill the arches outwards better.

Clive

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Wheelnut has cheated slightly by parking on grass :p hiding the tyre sidewall height!

It is, though, a lovely photo - what a great colour - really suits the Spider's design period. Metallic red (Proteo) is the same era but I like that green more - the red is similar to a BMW colour (Calypsorot) whereas the green is more unusual.

Also, Wheelnut, can you please confirm the tyre size - 205/50 16 as Clive said for the GTV? They definitely look lower-profile than the tyres I've seen on 156s.

My Spider's on 17s and I agree with Clive that 16s give a nicer ride (and are a lot more common/cheaper to find) - my last Spider had 16s and seemed to soak up small ripples/rough surfaces better. The weight of the wheel/tyre combo is important too. Less unsprung weight=better ride in my opinion.

At the end of the day though, the best wheels are the ones in good condition. Changing wheel size can be quite a cost if you have to fork out for four new tyres - the used tyres, even if nearly new, tend not to recover their cost if you try and sell.

Also bear in mind that new tyres of good quality will also have improved smoothness compared to old tyres. My Spider has two old (original version) Eagle F1s on the back, and the noise/roughness made me think a wheel bearing had failed (I've checked the bearings and they're fine). I understand that new Eagle F1s have been improved but even so, just a warning that tyres can make a difference as well. Confusing!

-Alex

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
They're not. They are spot on.

They all need a refurb at circa 250 quid. 550 for a very good set is about right.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ok!! Not deliberate and when i look at most of my pics they are on grass! Picture on the drive from a fairly low level. The tyres are 50 profiles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would have a hard time picking those as 16s - the tyre profile looks nice and low even on concrete. Sorry for accusing you of cheating before :)

-Alex

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would have a hard time picking those as 16s - the tyre profile looks nice and low even on concrete. Sorry for accusing you of cheating before :)

-Alex
No offence taken - it was a perfectly fair point. I have only got 5 psi in each tyre though! (Only kidding!)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts