Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've always loved the old Teledial wheel.jpg 5 ring Teledial wheels. I've noticed that they're 5 stud. I'd love to fit a set of these to my Mito 1.4v on a 17 plate but the current standard alloy wheels are 4 stud. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. Do 4 stud Teledials exist ? I've never seen them, does anyone supply these as an after market or is it possible to make these fit somehow ?

Shedding any light on this would be a great help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi LiamBates,
There not the same. Circles are not complete. They look like horse shoes. I know, I'm fussy.

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
Later 145/146's had teledial wheels in 4 stud. but they were only 15" and the PCD was 99mm IIRC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Symon - 98mm IIRC but yeah, only in 15" - the 145/146s would have carried off some 16" Teledials very well indeed.

I never really understood why they (Alfa/FIAT) did not just standardise on 5-bolt hubs ...

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
Some were GM pcd because the 159 was a GM platform and the Giulietta followed it where the Mito was Corsa/Grande Punto.

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
Hi Symon - 98mm IIRC but yeah, only in 15" - the 145/146s would have carried off some 16" Teledials very well indeed.

I never really understood why they (Alfa/FIAT) did not just standardise on 5-bolt hubs ...

Probably because a lot of the stuff was shared with the Fiat Tipo on those models and they had 4 bolt hubs.

On the earlier 164 2.0 cars had 4 bolt hubs, where as the 3.0 V6's had 5 bolt. Same size wheels and wheel design otherwise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fiat / Alfa have used 4x98 for decades on their smaller cars. I have a 1968 fiat 850 which uses 4x98. Alfasuds used it too as well as all small fiats / alfas / lancias right up until today.

Bigger more powerful cars started using 5x98, only moving to 5x110 with the 159 and on cars.

You can get 4x98 to 5x98 adapters, they bolt to three of the original studs while four wheel bolts bolt into the adapter and one long bolt goes all the way through to the hub.

Unfortunately they also act as a spacer and are usually 20mm thick, so I don't think they're going to be very useful on a mito as it would likely space the wheels out too far.

I guess another option if you really wanted 5 stud wheels on a mito would be a set of custom hubs, where (three of) the original bolt holes would be welded up and four new ones would be drilled and tapped. You'd need to do the brake disks too, although you could just add the extra holes to those, then 5x98 wheels should bolt straight on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fiat / Alfa have used 4x98 for decades on their smaller cars. I have a 1968 fiat 850 which uses 4x98. Alfasuds used it too as well as all small fiats / alfas / lancias right up until today.

Bigger more powerful cars started using 5x98, only moving to 5x110 with the 159 and on cars.

I guess another option if you really wanted 5 stud wheels on a mito would be a set of custom hubs, where (three of) the original bolt holes would be welded up and four new ones would be drilled and tapped. You'd need to do the brake disks too, although you could just add the extra holes to those, then 5x98 wheels should bolt straight on.
Quite so - I've had my runs of Fiats too with 4x98 (though only ever 5x98 Alfas ... hmmmm). I was thinking largely of some basic standardisation ... same hubs, wheels, offsets where possible/feasible. Rant rant mumble. Feels better already :devilish:!

Got to agree with your suggestion of converting the Mito to 5 bolt hubs - either as you suggest or perhaps by finding hubs from a.n.other Fiat/Alfa model which can be swapped over directly (Disclaimer: No idea if this feasible. Anybody know better?).

Paul

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not sure about fitting other hubs, although I guess there is a chance something might fit or could be machined to.

My suggestion of modifying the originals was more thinking out loud as I typed, but from memory the mito hubs are circular and of even thickness so in theory would be fairly easy to weld and redrill to 5 stud with the same diameter.

I really like the 17in mito semi-teledials but would absolutely love a set of 156gta teledials on mine. Sadly I think the 15in 146 versions would look too small as well as only fitting cars with the smaller brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure about fitting other hubs, although I guess there is a chance something might fit or could be machined to.
There's been a fairly active hub swapping scene in the VW communities for quite some time - VR6 5 stud hubs being transplanted on to previous series Golfs, Sciroccos etc ... so I suspect there may be options in the Alfa/FIAT universe too. Usual disclaimers apply (no idea, guessing etc etc).

My suggestion of modifying the originals was more thinking out loud as I typed, but from memory the mito hubs are circular and of even thickness so in theory would be fairly easy to weld and redrill to 5 stud with the same diameter.
Assuming even thickness and a competent 'shop', I see no reason why not.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
I have the 4 stud version on my Sprint project car.......
Reminds me of this 145, which has had a 5x98 hub conversion and 17" GTV teledials fitted. Looks absolutely glorious.

And here's a 145 with Mito 17" wheels fitted, so they do just swap over. Not sure that 15" 145/146 teledials would look good on a Mito though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts