Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is part of the ongoing saga of my wife's 04 147 1.9JTD 16v and it's failed cambelt. After having spent £400 on the broken cambelt kit and then having it fitted, on turning the engine by hand, metallic noises come from within. These weren't apparent before the kit being fitted. We (after having to get the wife another car) have now run out of money, so I've decided to get the car to my daughter's (where I can work on it off the road and SORNED) and attempt to remove the head myself.

This way if things are good I can get the car up and running and either keep or sell it, or worst case scenario, break it and at least recoup some of the money.

However I do have a few problems; after a motorbike accident I have lost some movement and strength in my right arm/shoulder, I'm coming up to 65 at the end of the month, which means I'm not quite as fit as I have been and I have absolutely no experience with diesel engines.

I wondered if there any kindly souls in the Dereham area prepared to lend me a hand? I can't really afford to pay anyone for the reasons already mentioned, but tea and biscuits would be readily forthcoming.

If you need to call me I'm on 07931 679442.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I am in W. London so no use, but I do wonder about the metallic noises. As I mentioned in your previous thread, bent valves should have been fairly obvious once the cam box was removed, since the valve stem ends should be all aligned and same height. A bent valve won't seat. Also a compression test would show for sure whether a valve was bent, or not. Has one been done yet? If not, I'd start with that.

At what stage did the metallic noises become apparent? Before or after the cam box was replaced?

You might want to read the megathread at http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-andamp-946-spider/937857-swirl-flaps-how-and-maf-clean-how-anywhere-159-1-a.html - this is a saga of swirl flap disasters and head removals on a 159 1.9 16v and my own 147 ditto. Both were later cars than yours, with the hand-grenade metal swirl flap design, something you will not need to worry about on a 2004. But it's fairly detailed as neither I nor Resolution (the 159 owner) had any money nor experience of diesels, and both of us were having to work in the street, in January & February. Both cars survived. It will give you a good idea of what's involved in head removal and replacement. It's not really difficult but is quite a lot of hours for an idiot amateur.

Still, someone who's 65 and riding a 748 is obviously up to the job. I'm 67 and have a KTM Duke and GSXR1100J (since 1989).

But that's running ahead, first establish beyond all reasonable doubt that you have bent valves that require the head to come off. Something doesn't feel quite right about this to me. The tech should have noticed, at least enough to test compression.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noises appeared after the cambox was replaced, when he turned it over by hand to set the timing I think. Anyway I'm collecting the car and getting to my daughter's place where I can work on it. Fairly sure the valves aren't bent.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noises appeared after the cambox was replaced, when he turned it over by hand to set the timing I think. Anyway I'm collecting the car and getting to my daughter's place where I can work on it. Fairly sure the valves aren't bent.
PS I also have a ZZR1100 lurking in the barn.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
PS I also have a ZZR1100 lurking in the barn.
Um, well , the crank and cams should be locked using the cam timing tools before the cambox is replaced, and not rotated at all until the cam belt is on. Trying to rotate the crank once the cambox is on (but no belt) will result in pistons hitting open valves.

Another possibility? is that the tech didn't squash the hydraulic lifters in a vice. They may have overextended when the cambelt broke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts