Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
So whats the solution? Im only hearing negatives here. Comeon man the americans and ozzies can do it. Surely we must have someone with the know how

So whats the solution? Im only hearing negatives here. Comeon man the americans and ozzies can do it. Surely we must have someone with the know how
Find a tuner that can do the work on one-offs. Nobody in SA knows the GM motor.

Once you specialize in a spesific brand it becomes much easier (and more profitable) with experience, but Alfa owners are just not that many and they are devided over a few tuners.

Domingo done a lot of old Alfas, and he do Gotech(and a new system), that is why it is a favourite. But he is not into the new cars and do not do Unichip.

I am a MRD man and believe in Johan.

Unichip at KSD, Dames! Those guys know what they're doing! And their pricing does not fluctuate wildly. Edit to say: Q+ you can have multiple maps loaded.
I so much want to El. But first need a DP and exhaust. Naturally wanted Ragazon, but somehow I've heard powerflow is better? And again at 9k for backbox and tailpiece alone, before duties and shipping. It really needs to be worth it. I also want to go to someone that can confidently say "don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing on your Mito". Unfortunately, the list of people that can say that in CPT is virtually non existent. If that's KSD Dastek or whoever I'm willing to take their word for it and have a go. But same issue with the Novitec.. It's so expensive, so is it WORTH IT? You know.

Corrie, I don't necessarily need the fueling to be adjusted. And don't doubt that novitec's system is probably all round the best one. What I'm saying is, could the car not have benefitted from even a slight fueling adjustment? Alfa must have left some form of "play" in them? And I would just imagine that Novitec would capitalize on this. I may be wrong but it should be possible to uprate them slightly? I would more measure them on my specific car, how many they've done, how reliably they're running, how much faster they are etc. My main concern is reliability.

The car is maxed out with the Novitec. The limiter is the small turbo. This car is ridiculously quick to 180 after that it really struggles. I have sat with a brand new M135 coupe on my tail from 40 up to 170 on a straight pull. He could not pass me and sat fixed 2 car lengths behind me. When I slowed the guy refused to pass...not sure if he was completely embarrassed (still did not have permanent plates on car) or he was scared of my car barking at him through the gear changes. :)

Based on discussions with the Novitec guys on max setting the car would be pushing around 215kW.

Get custom downpipe done in JHB. MP has details of someone who does amazing job. Mid and rear boxes go to Pro-fit in ct.

Corrie. Talk to me about MRD. been past there quite a few times as i do a lot of work around there and the other side of the tunnel.

Do they have a 4wd dyno? Do you believe he understands what needs to be done to optimise the twin phaser with the higher duration cam? Can you soften him up to do a real effort with my baby?

I always prefer to work with guys who actually care what they do for you because its you. Most companys just see you as another number. Set AFR and goodbye.

Been to dastek themselves but they dont seem too keen on doing timing stuff

My plan of attack so far was to go to Auto Sound Engineering. They do really fast subarus and have a 4wd. Been reccomended to me by a friend. But they just said we can do timing but usually its not necessary. Didnt make me feel optimistic to be honest. They also use unichip.

But yes ASE is not set in stone. Ill be willing to give MRD a try also if they got a stamp of approval from you and they are feeling a bit more optimistic hahaha

On a different less thread jacky note. One of the other benefits of unichip is flatfoot shifting. Has anyone given this a try? I would love to see how that works.

Another cool feature is launch control

Also does anyone know if unichip can do revmatch like you get on the 370Z? Thats also quite a cool feature to have

Reactions: Guili
On a different less thread jacky note. One of the other benefits of unichip is flatfoot shifting. Has anyone given this a try? I would love to see how that works.

Another cool feature is launch control

Also does anyone know if unichip can do revmatch like you get on the 370Z? Thats also quite a cool feature to have
some of the bosch ECUs can be mapped for no-lift-shift. Polo GTi for example.
Launch control also not too difficult, well basic LC that is. You just set a rev limited which is only applicable when the clutch is disengaged.

as anyone noticed that the ford rangers rev match on the upshifts? So for example, shifting from 3rd to 4th, when you put the clutch in the revs don't fall back to idle - they hang at exactly the right RPM for the next gear. It only holds the revs for a few seconds though. Takes a slight change in driving style, you need to come fully off the clutch before adding throttle or you end up with too many revs and jerking into the next gear.

The car is maxed out with the Novitec. The limiter is the small turbo. This car is ridiculously quick to 180 after that it really struggles. I have sat with a brand new M135 coupe on my tail from 40 up to 170 on a straight pull. He could not pass me and sat fixed 2 car lengths behind me. When I slowed the guy refused to pass...not sure if he was completely embarrassed (still did not have permanent plates on car) or he was scared of my car barking at him through the gear changes. :)

Based on discussions with the Novitec guys on max setting the car would be pushing around 215kW.

Get custom downpipe done in JHB. MP has details of someone who does amazing job. Mid and rear boxes go to Pro-fit in ct.
With that power you must be talking about the giulietta though isn't it? The MiTo is also very, very quick! And it pulls hard right through to the top. But I still want a little bit more grunt. Any sound difference to popping, spooling and dumping?

Yes I have the GQV.

The car barks loudly on gear changes. Spooling is audible as well. In terms of blow-off one gets some sound but not much due to it not blowing off to atmosphere but recirculating. I did note on my road trip though that at high altitude one gets much louder dump sounds. Sounded as if I had a proper dump valve fitted.

Which gqv is higher powered by the uni-q?
Most plug-in chips provide around 190-202kW with downpipe, decat, filter and exhaust and this was blamed on the small turbo and intercooler. RGM using the unichip Q4 could manage a stable and reliable 225kW during development of the SC, on pump fuel. The adjustable chips required OB and WM injection for anything above 195-200kW.

rob green also claims to cure cancer.. sorry but they are sharks

Novitec chip on max setting produces 215kW and 380Nm torque. Very much in line with RGM offering. One needs a high flow air filter and catless downpipe to run at max though. This is why Novitec claim only the 191kW which is at setting 6 and allows error free driving on a stock car. Racechip, Spiderbox, Cpichip, etc all claim +220kW all of which I would not touch.

What I mean by the car being maxed out refers to the turbo. Anyone driving a tuned QV will know what I am talking about. One can achieve that power and torque but the turbo gets tired quickly running at such high boost and this is when ECU kicks in to reduce boost. One only needs to do an acceleration run from standstill and compare times with in gear acceleration on higher speed ranges. Trust me you do not need a timer, it is clearly noticeable. I do not see any tuner getting around this reliably without increasing the size of the turbo. The car is a rocket when accelerating in spurts and at lower speeds where the turbo is not at full boost all the time.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I second PuroAlfista...

RGM did not provide dyno results for that 210k neither for the 225kw.

Reactions: corriedw
you mean someone actually paid for that exhaust????

also the graphs are near identical just a little higher but peaks and dips in the exact same places?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.