Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have discussed this topic at length, for those who don't know just search the key words in the title. I'm quite interested to know why you guys think RGM sticks to a piggy back Unichip 4 to tune all the new cars and not tune via the ECU?

Possible answers I came up with is probably because they can have 1 solution for a whole host of cars, from Fiesta ST's to Lamborghini's and upgraded big turbo Golf 7 GTi's all running this Unichip 4. Another answer is probably because they have the technical skills for the Unichip and might not know how to tune the different ECU's of the various cars?

That's why the main cars tuned is VAG's...because the ECU tuners know the VAG ECU's.

Your opinions? I see the GQV SC's are becoming affordable, the MiTo's are being tested at RGM and we are yet to hear of a 4c Tune being released by RGM.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
1. Can you sell your remap once you sell your car?
2. Can you switch off your remap and turn it back on?
3. My personal feelings as always: "anybody" gaining access to your car's brain... A remap is as good as the guy behind the laptop. Speak engine to him. Speak timing and fueling and emissions and safety protocols. See what he knows.

I took my car (159) to CPi Performance Tuning to check what they had. Their cars are impressive: Nissan GT-R and Golf R. Now the "Tuner" wasn't sure if he could tune my car and had to call someone to find out if he could tune my car. After he spoke for a while, he promised me he had the perfect file for my car, it was plug and play for SA fuels and altitudes.

That was when I said "I'll be in touch" and left. I won't be in touch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Spoke to ***** Tuning on FB who will do a remap for 3k (on promotion) and quote 8-10kw and 35-45nm. The figures quoted aren't outstanding but the price is good (and I guess it's possible that they haven't done one before, so they're more conservative). I'm so scared to do it though, because I think do they have the experience of Novitec and the like? Like with the Novitec plug and play? I haven't heard of any issues really. I'm not sure how long it's tested for, but I'm pretty sure these local Cape Town tuners don't have Alfa's to tune and long term test for a month or two? Problem is its 3k vs almost 8k before duties and shipping. I'd like to remap or even something like unichip but I'm scared of going anywhere because I feel they won't know what they're doing on the MiTo. So it's Novitec or nothing for me at the moment, until I learn more about the pros and cons and if there is someone in The Cape that can do it better.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Everything you wanted to know but were too afraid to ask (Uni-Q4)

The UNICHIP is much more than just a "chip". In actual fact it is a fully functioning computer which is added to the vehicle’s existing engine control unit (ECU). Apart from controlling general Timing and Fuel Mixtures it can also do Boost Control, EGT protection, drive existing injectors (Petrol or Diesel ) or additional Injectors, eliminate road speed governors and much, much more. It can be accurately described as a "Piggyback" computer. With 5 Map capabilities you can have a custom tune to suit your specific needs, eg High Octane map, Low Octane map, High Boost map, Low Boost Map, Immobiliser map. The possibilities are endless.

Why should I install a Unichip to my car?
The most obvious reason is to increase engine performance. Significant gains in torque and power across the entire RPM range are possible. In addition, the engine will be smoother, deliver greater response and maximise fuel efficiency at all RPM and throttle positions. A second reason is to harness the performance value of engine and exhaust modifications. Standard engine management systems are not programmed to cater for exhaust headers, cat back exhaust systems, hi flow air filters, performance cam shafts or larger turbo chargers and intercoolers.

How does the Unichip increase engine power?
Every engine requires optimum timing and air fuel ratio at all RPM and load conditions. Unichip gives the experienced Unichip authorised agent the access and ability to adjust and optimise timing, fuel system and boost if required in real time on a chassis dynamometer to suit YOUR vehicle.

Unichip Real Time Tuning- what does this mean?
Real Time Tuning describes the process whereby adjustments are made to Timing and Air Fuel Ratio whilst running the vehicle on a chassis dynamometer. In doing so the Unichip authorised agent can see the power output from the dynamometer live whilst making changes to Timing and Air Fuel Ratio's with the Unichip in Real Time. This greatly reduces the time spent on the Dynamometer to achieve a perfect tune.

How much power can I expect?
Power gains of 10kw-30kw are common place, as measured by a Unichip authorised dealer on a accurate chassis dynamometer. Whilst less common power gains of 50kw have been verified. The exact power gain however depends on the design and condition of the engine and the factory calibration on the engine control unit. No two engines are identical. Unichip results represents the optimisation of each individual engine. Unichip results are verified by before and after dynamometer, tests, measured at 100% throttle opening across the entire RPM range.

Will Unichip improve my fuel economy?
Yes. In most driving conditions Unichip will improve fuel economy. Many modern fuel injected engines waste fuel by running very rich air fuel ratios at part throttle and full throttle openings. With Unichip, it is a simple procedure to correctly adjust the air fuel ratio and timing over the entire engine operation for maximum economy at light throttle and maximum power at full throttle.

How is Unichip different from “performance chip”?
Unichip is a supplementary engine management system, As such; it is far more advanced than “generic plug-in performance chip” products. It is individually programmable to meet the requirements of engine and driver. Being fully adjustable Unichip can cater for non-standard, current and future engine modifications. Best of all, Unichip can deliver the most personalised power result every time – uniquely tuned for fuel type and rating and even particular ambient conditions of operation. With optional 5 map capability, your Unichip authorised agent can tailor a tune to suit your requirements.
Best of all there is a 99% chance that you can install your Unichip to your new car when the time comes. Meaning you only have to buy a Unichip once, simply swap it from vehicle to vehicle with tuning only required.

Is the original factory engine control unit modified by installing Unichip?
No. Unichip is a supplementary computer which is programmed to contain the optimum fuel and ignition adjustments for each individual engine.
The factory engine management control unit is not altered in any way, The Unichip ECU is simply installed by connecting to the wires of the original factory E.C.U.
Plug and Play options available for most vehicles.
Once removed there is no electronic footprint left behind for dealers to find.

Unichip product warranty
A 2 year unlimited kilometre warranty applies for all Unichip products.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
With a unichip you don't need to remap. It can adjust anything that needs adjustment: Fuel, spark and even air (Cam timing). It can remove limiters, can add additional features like "valet mode" where your car will only drive to certain speeds and rev to preset rpm to prevent hooligans from having too much fun in your car.

The best bit is that you take it out when selling the car, keep it for your next car and you will just need new adapters and plugs for your next car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Provided the tuner knows what he's doing. It does sound good though. Apparently novitec doesn't adjust fueling which is the only issue I've heard so far? If the UniQ4 is better in that way it then certainly should be better? But again it's dependent on who's doing the tuning, where as with novitec, it's preset.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
We have discussed this topic at length, for those who don't know just search the key words in the title. I'm quite interested to know why you guys think RGM sticks to a piggy back Unichip 4 to tune all the new cars and not tune via the ECU?

Possible answers I came up with is probably because they can have 1 solution for a whole host of cars, from Fiesta ST's to Lamborghini's and upgraded big turbo Golf 7 GTi's all running this Unichip 4. Another answer is probably because they have the technical skills for the Unichip and might not know how to tune the different ECU's of the various cars?

That's why the main cars tuned is VAG's...because the ECU tuners know the VAG ECU's.

Your opinions? I see the GQV SC's are becoming affordable, the MiTo's are being tested at RGM and we are yet to hear of a 4c Tune being released by RGM.
OEM Warranty. You don't seem to want to understand this.

RGM can get who they want to do what they want but they don't because they would rather build on their reputation than sit with other people's broken engines. Fitting a Unichip is one of the simplest and safest things that you can do because it is an outboard ECU just like your car has built into it but unlike your car:
1. It uses a faster ecu.
2. It is optimized for your specific engine. The sum of your parts. From Monday engines to Wednesday engines, they are all accommodated for.
3. It doesn't interfere with safety built into the oem ecu although it can.
4. Not traceable like software. Plug it out and it's gone.
5. They don't have to bother with storing your car's OEM ecu file once they wipe your ecu to remap.
6. They make more money fitting these than having to remap, and return to stock each time your car goes for a service, then having to replace the map again when the car comes back from service, all for free.
7. Yes, one chip fits ALL cars. Makes sense.

There you go...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Here is a perfect example of how the general public is fooled by chip tuners and/or software tuners who don't know what they are looking at:

http://www.dpchip.com/graphs/dpchipbrochure.pdf

DP Chip is a diesel tuning chip (Diesel Power Chip is the full name) for customizing maps on diesel engine cars. Download the brochure. Look at Alfa 159 AWD 3.2 V6 JTD (sic. Should be JTS) AWD No such thing. But they claim they can with this chip tune your non existent diesel V6 engine in your 159 so that power will increase from 191kW (Does that power output seem somewhat familiar!?) to 230kW... All while using their same DP31 chip as used on other diesel engines :cheese:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If you're in the Cape, take your Alfa to KSD or Dynotech.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Provided the tuner knows what he's doing. It does sound good though. Apparently novitec doesn't adjust fueling which is the only issue I've heard so far? If the UniQ4 is better in that way it then certainly should be better? But again it's dependent on who's doing the tuning, where as with novitec, it's preset.
I agree, first find a trustworthy tuner who can do the work. Then let him use whatever he understand.

On a Unichip, all parameters always must be manually adjusted on a rolling road according to a gas analyzer. If some part can not reach the necessary level, a competent tuner should notice on the spot.

Unlike upping the boost by remapping and pray the ECU can cope.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Warranty will not be covered. Only on SC's.

In terms on tuning... I am very much for Novitec chip. There is nothing out there that has been tested more on an Alfa. You may get good tuners around but let's face it there is no comparison in numbers of tuned VAG cars vs Alfas. A tuner needs proper time with a car to really get the right tune and be confident on reliability. Alfa/RGM. Did not do the SC in a weekend....

What I also like about the Novitec chip is you can dial it up or down. Remaps are fixed maps. What does one do travelling, changing altitude significantly. Often this leads to issues. Also I did a road trip this December with a fully loaded car and full load roof box on top. Before the trip I just dialled the chip down to min. Power increase as I did not want to kill the car. Can't do that once you have your car remapped.

·
Registered
276 Posts
But then why could NOVITEC just not adjust fueling! That's the only thing putting me off. Oh, and Ofcourse the massive price tag! I can believe it's the most reliable system out there though. if I were to go uniq4 I would map it very moderately.

·
Registered
343 Posts
But then why could NOVITEC just not adjust fueling! That's the only thing putting me off. Oh, and Ofcourse the massive price tag! I can believe it's the most reliable system out there though. if I were to go uniq4 I would map it very moderately.
If you want detailed answers get in touch with Squadra Sportiva they deal with Alfa/Fiat Novitec. The one sensor is fixed to the throttle valve switch. Remember the chip itself is all about sending alternate info to the ECU through the sensors it is attached to. The ECU map itself is not touched and that is why it is undetectable. In terms of cost I got mine imported for a little over R5k which was slightly more than Racechip which does not come close.... RGM chip apparently is sitting at R11k from what MP says... now that is expensive. I have no issues with my car. I have monitored knock and overboost count for the last 6 months since I zeroed the counter and none have picked up a single count since I have been monitoring so in terms of knock the car is not running overly lean, that is for certain.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Unichip at KSD, Dames! Those guys know what they're doing! And their pricing does not fluctuate wildly. Edit to say: Q+ you can have multiple maps loaded.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Novitec only up the boost to the level where the std injectors can cope. Whoever told you not adjusting the fuel is a problem, do not understand or do not want you to buy a Novitec unit.

Technically, if an injector's duty cycle goes higher than 80% it just do not function properly anymore. There is just not enough time for the pressure to build up anymore, and without that the fuel do not atomize. We have the same problem with very large injectors(750/1000cc). Alfa's ECU goes to the maximum for the std injector, changing that serves no purpose.

To know where the reliable limits are you have to pass it first. The only people doing this is the tuners who prepare racecars. My first question for a tuner is to point me to a competition car he prepare.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
My problem is all tuners with unichip is they are always keen to set the AFR to what works best but as soon as you ask them to do timing then they all got a blank expression on their face.

Reason i say this is because i have the long duration cams in my brera you must play with the twin phaser to bring the cam kick at 3000rpms down to 1500rpms now natuarally the americans and aussies at mace engineering are able to do this but all the guys i spoke to in gauteng with 4wd dynos dont seem really keen to do timing tuning.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Some Toyota and Honda guys know how to do this on Vtec and RSI engines but when you have a 24V twinphaser and very expensive valves they wouldn't want to mess with cam timing too much because when you over advance to bring the torque curve down you could hit the pistons on the intake valves. They don't want to risk that. Since Autodelta can actually do this they request that you send them your ecu and they map it accordingly. Provide full cam specs (lift, duration and then total lift at tdc are important parameters). With it they can tell you where your torque curve will start and it may nkt be as low as 1500rpm. On a Busso this is easier though because you have fixed cam timing. You either gain bottom end or top end but since a 3.2 has such a robust bottom end torque profile it pays to retard a degree or two, and get more power on top end if you increase the rev limit to 7500rpm.

One should remember that with a camshaft, lift = torque and duration = power.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If the timing is set too slow(TDC or after) it creates a lot of heat and can in 30 seconds melt a piston or before that fry the rings. It happens before the temperature shows on the coolant temp gauge and the UniQ do not show degrees, only a bar for more or less.

This concept is sometimes used to spin a turbo on standstill for a launch. But is unpopular due to being so dangerous. So tuners who know what can happen don't want to do it.

But on a turbo instalation you have to retard the timing at high boost.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts