Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought that I would share my experience with everyone. The flexible section of the induction piping on my twinspark Spider is split and, of course, no spares available in the short term.

So, I tried all the usual, insulation tape...rubbish, duct tape...a little better but still rubbish. So the final attempt was to degrease the pipe thoroughly and clean the splits with acetone, super glue the splits together and wrap with the secret ingredient........

Self amalgamating tape made by 3M. Great stuff this. It is a rubber insulation tape with no adhesive that bonds permanently to itself when stretched and wrapped tight. I gave it a triple wrapping, just in case, and it seems to be airtight for the meanwhile until I get the new part.

This is what the finished job looked lilke.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I thought that I would share my experience with everyone. The flexible section of the induction piping on my twinspark Spider is split and, of course, no spares available in the short term.

So, I tried all the usual, insulation tape...rubbish, duct tape...a little better but still rubbish. So the final attempt was to degrease the pipe thoroughly and clean the splits with acetone, super glue the splits together and wrap with the secret ingredient........

Self amalgamating tape made by 3M. Great stuff this. It is a rubber insulation tape with no adhesive that bonds permanently to itself when stretched and wrapped tight. I gave it a triple wrapping, just in case, and it seems to be airtight for the meanwhile until I get the new part.

This is what the finished job looked lilke.
That's the most permanent fix you will find. we use the tape extensively here at work to repair electrical wiring. It's been developed for the US Army for use in battle. You'd find this pipe with this repair would outlast the new pipe you're buying :thumbs:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Gr8 work mark going try it out on a friends gtv6 , will see how it holds up till the new pipe comes :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
May be an idea to use this stuff before the pipe actually splits. You know the beginning stage where you can see the cracks and know here it comes.

·
Vendor
46,244 Posts
Yes we have done this repair before with self-amalgamating tape and it does usually work at least for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Where is it available? How much does it cost?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Mostly the tape work great, but I had some that was probably old and would not "valcanize"

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Springbok, try any good electrical wholesaler. The tape I used was as per the pic below. Yeah Corrie, I think that this stuff definitely has a shelf life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts