Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Need to replace the lower balljoint boots on the 2.4.
Would be grateful for a quick tutorial on how it’s done and what size boots are required.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have a lower arm in the garage I'll measure for you tomorrow.
To change it just undo the lower ball joint nut, I think its a 21 or 24mm and then tap the area around it to break the taper so it releases, if its tight you might need to use a ball joint wedge fork, I dont think you have the room to get a scissor type splitter in there. Dont be tempted to hit the threaded part with or without the nut on.
Then when its off remember to clean out any dirt from under the damaged boot and repack with grease and rebuild it.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
There are lots of sellers on eBay selling ball joint boots. Usually they are cheap. I bought a pair for my uppers as they were split and perished....until I realised that also had a bit of play in them...so had to buy complete upper wishbones.. To be honest I usually find they are pretty much worn out anyway by the time the boots have had it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are lots of sellers on eBay selling ball joint boots. Usually they are cheap. I bought a pair for my uppers as they were split and perished....until I realised that also had a bit of play in them...so had to buy complete upper wishbones.. To be honest I usually find they are pretty much worn out anyway by the time the boots have had it.
Thanks i'll look them up.
No mine aren't worn, but i put a tiny pin hole in them when i dropped the subframe for shot blasting and did the clutch / gearbox. Self inflicted damage if i had known you could buy them i would have anticipated the damage and changed them there and then.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a lower arm in the garage I'll measure for you tomorrow.
To change it just undo the lower ball joint nut, I think its a 21 or 24mm and then tap the area around it to break the taper so it releases, if its tight you might need to use a ball joint wedge fork, I dont think you have the room to get a scissor type splitter in there. Dont be tempted to hit the threaded part with or without the nut on.
Then when its off remember to clean out any dirt from under the damaged boot and repack with grease and rebuild it.
Perfect, thanks. Measurement would be very useful.
So only the bottom nut, no need to undo anything else? Is there any need to lever the bottom arm down or jack the hub up to separate the joint for example?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Large end is 32 mm ID and the taper end is 22mm ID.
Yes you will need to lever the bottom arm down to release the ball joint so you will also need to undo the lower shock bolt, when you have rebuilt it this bolt needs to be tightened with the weight on the wheel, ie almost tighten it and then only fully tighten it with the car back on its wheels, I lowered my car onto a concrete block to do this to give room to reach underneath.
If you tighten it in the dropped position when the suspension is compressed it will twist the bush too much and rip it.

Just to comfirm this isnt a job you should do with a jack, you must use axle stands when you laying underneath it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Large end is 32 mm ID and the taper end is 22mm ID.
Yes you will need to lever the bottom arm down to release the ball joint so you will also need to undo the lower shock bolt, when you have rebuilt it this bolt needs to be tightened with the weight on the wheel, ie almost tighten it and then only fully tighten it with the car back on its wheels, I lowered my car onto a concrete block to do this to give room to reach underneath.
If you tighten it in the dropped position when the suspension is compressed it will twist the bush too much and rip it.

Just to comfirm this isnt a job you should do with a jack, you must use axle stands when you laying underneath it.
Perfect, many thanks indeed.
Just to clarify, is it the lower shock bolt (through the fork) that needs to be tightened with the wheel on the ground or the lower ball joint?

Axle stands at the ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts