Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, I asked this question a long time ago and nothing was done about it.

However, I now have a car that will probably be scrapped in june ( saxo, not my 159), so i'd like to give both my young adult kids a few lessons.

I only want to teach them the basics ...driving forward and backwards,etc, before handing over to a professional trainer.

Does anyone know the cheapest way of doing it?

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
The cheapest way to do it? Find as big an unused car-park / industrial park as you can, and take them around it. That's free.

Reactions: Toronto Spider

·
Registered
521 Posts
My two both had limited under 17 driving on my brother in law's farm so had (very) basic skills before any lessons.

I'd advise some professional tuition before you take them out, so there's a degree of ability that you don't need to teach them. Really, you'll only give them practice. Insurance for learners is less than once they pass their test.

Kids learn a fair bit from observation too. So if you drive responsibly, they probably will too.

One serious bit of advice, as a passenger, should you need to grab the steering wheel, do so with your left hand. Sounds daft but you'll turn the wheel more that with your right

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The cheapest way is to do wot I did.

Started with a few sessions in indoor karts, a good way to get familiar with simple driving, with no gearchanging and no real traffic. Then I taught them to drive myself, starting on an industrial estate and continuing onto the road once they were confident. Finally booked a few lessons with an instructor to learn how to pass a test.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Our 4 kids all had a handful of driving lessons to start, then lots of driving practice, especially reversing and parking manoeuvres in an half-empty car park, and also a few longer journeys with mix of open roads and towns. Then another batch of lessons in weeks before the test.

Seemed to work ok. 3 passed 1st time, the other 2nd. I'm comfortable as a passenger with any of them.

No doubt other approaches work as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts