Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

So it's been one week with my 2013 Sportiva 2.0 JTDM TCT and so far I'm loving it :)

However I've observed that when leaving for work in the morning (and leaving the multi-storey car park in the afternoon for home) that the TCT transmission is not so smooth and the car kind of jumps when crawling in 1st or shifting from 1st to 2nd.

It's really not very pleasant :( Going through the gears on the country roads it is fantastic but then when slowing down for traffic or lights you can really feel the TCT shifting down and sometimes it even feels like the engine is about to stall (mostly in the morning off a cold start).

Is this normal?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine can be a bit clunky when changing into first in the mornings, particularly when its cold. I think you get used to it. You also get that little shove as it changes down but in my experience this is true of most autos to some degree.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you in Dynamic mode? As this makes a huge difference compared with Natural. Mine can be jerky for the first few changes from cold. Its certainly better than the q tronic in my Spider.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a 2012 petrol TCT.
The first 2nd to 3rd change from cold can be noticable but apart from that it's always very smooth.
You can only tell it's shifting down by watching the rev counter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Would a firmware update for the TCT help improve the gear changes? On my 2 month old GQV, so far the gearbox has been super smooth be it cold, hot etc. It seems almost too smooth, and does not feel "sporty" or instantaneous when compared to Volkswagen DSG. It just feels very laid back. It is so laid back that the transition from releasing the brake at a stop light and hitting the accelerator is a very gradual experience (clutch engaging very gradually)!Too gradual in my opinion as it seems to resist taking off quickly from a stand still without using launch control. Also reversing is exceptionally smooth when crawling slow from standstill. I suspect the TCT is slipping the clutch. I fear for the clutch wear so whenever possible I try to accelerate hard and fast in reverse to reduce this.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also wonder my TCT is need of software updates. I would say 70% of the time the shifts are smooth but the other 30% are noticeable and jerky - particularly in slow moving traffic or when slowing down for lights etc.

I only drive in N since I work in Nottingham city centre lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
even in "D", the gear shifts are silky smooth. Maybe my GQV is too new and this jerky gear changes when cold or when changing between 2nd and 1st is something I have to look forward to as my G gets older?

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I just floor mine out of a junction it seems to get a shift on, I'll wait till over 1k miles before I try LC.

Another thing is why did they put the DNA switch in the middle of the car, I can't discretely switch to D without the wife seeing? It's like a social event if you have passengers in the back and the screen changes too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think we know mazor's style of driving, he uses launch control to pull out at junctions :biglaugh:

I've never looked for launch control yet:depressed:
Absolutely! Launch control at every single set of lights ensures the GQV stays ahead of the pack lol.

Another thing is why did they put the DNA switch in the middle of the car, I can't discretely switch to D without the wife seeing? It's like a social event if you have passengers in the back and the screen changes too.
Have to agree, it does seem like a bit of theatrics when the DNA switch is used. Add to to the infotainment over riding whats on the screen to display the DNA change, but also, the main dash board suddenly lights up bright and dims back down to let you know there has been a change.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiosity I called one of the local alfa dealers (Basford) and they said I'd need to take it in for examination but it sounds like the clutch could be going - how can this be on a 3 1/2 year old auto which has only done 65k?

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Mileage alone is no indicator. A car that has done 65k cruising for hours at a time on the motorway is clearly going to have less wear than one driven hard round the winding roads of the Highlands for the same mileage or even worse 65k in stop start urban traffic, although this seems unlikely at nearly 19k per year. What do you know of it's past?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also recently got a 2012 JTDM TCT with similar mileage, also noticing exactly the same issue with a jumping/jerking in crawling traffic.
Autolusso gave the car a health check recently and noticed that the TCT felt a bit hesitant but they didn't spot any obvious issues. I'm not sure whether its just a characteristic of the gearbox or if its something worth investigating more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mileage alone is no indicator. A car that has done 65k cruising for hours at a time on the motorway is clearly going to have less wear than one driven hard round the winding roads of the Highlands for the same mileage or even worse 65k in stop start urban traffic, although this seems unlikely at nearly 19k per year. What do you know of it's past?
Hmm, thought the idea of a robotised clutch was meant to reduce the amount of wear on a clutch compared to a manual gearbox?

Maybe the past owner used launch control too many times?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as I know the car has spent the majority of its life so far on A38 daily run between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

I've gotta say having taken the old man's Tiguan DSG (twin-clutch) to work today that the DSG is definitely smoother on the up and down shifts through normal town centre/city centre traffic even on a cold start.

Starting to think something is definitely up with my alfa :(

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
First off. nor the DSG or the TCT are automatic transmissions. They're automated manual transmissions, and it's not just a semantics issue.

The automated manuals don't have a torque converter which allows for a lot of slip without wear. Therefor it's important to recognise when the clutches could be slipping. for the TCT it's possible or even likely in 1st, 2nd an reverse gear up to 1500 rpm. Once locked in 2nd, the clutch will likely not slip anymore when the revs drop below 1500 rpm though, except if the rpm would drop below 1000 rpm.

That's the reason the TCT is sometimes hesitant to pull away from near standstill in 2nd gear. There's a lot of slip happening and the TCM doesn't allow much torque transfer until the speed get high enough to allow the clutch to lock.

Now, what's a bad practice? riding the clutch in 1st or 2nd below 1500 rpm, say in a traffic jam. Either let a car in front pull ahead a bit and catch up at a higher speed, or keep the transmission in 1st gear above 1500 rpm (the car will likely shift to 2nd asap if you don't). This is true for ALL automated manuals, like DSG, TCT, selespeed and what not. Wet clutches have a higher tolerance for abuse, but not indefinite either, and certainly not as much as a true torque converter.

Gear changes should be imperceptably smooth.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts