Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I despair of Alfa's ability to shoot themselves in the foot.

Some years ago, after 5 Alfas in a happy row, increasingly crazy business miles (30k pa) and constant motorway traffic jams sadly dictated I realistically needed a diesel with an auto, and I couldn't wait for the 159 auto to be launched. After defecting the fold twice (Saab 9-3 (nice in it's day) then a MB C320 (fast but soooo dull)) it's time to change again Q1 next year.

Lo and behold, the stars are aligned once again (cue celestial fanfare!) and Alfa have what could be my perfect trendy "downsizer", the Giulietta 170 JTDm TCT - gorgeous, fast, economical, clutchless, cheap enough that I can throw large chunks of the options list at it within my lease budget, and with 119 CO2, only pay 13% tax. I think this car could be a huge hit in the (admittedly weird) UK company car market, as otherwise it is mainly manual, skinny tyred, over-geared eco models that meet that particular tax dodge.

Perfect.

Except I can't have it.

I've now spoken to three different dealers, according to all of whom it doesn't exist. When I pointed out that yes it does, it's on Alfa's europe wide website with full details of the spec, two of them were then adamant that it was not coming to the UK. Although they couldn't explain why they were so sure of this when they didn't know it existed in the first place and seemed a bit miffed when I asked. The third just didn't know. They all thought the petrol TCT is coming, but they don't know when they will be able to start taking orders - possibly November.

So please, Alfa UK:
1. If you are not bringing the diesel version, rethink that. It is a monumentally stupid decision.
2. If you are bringing it, can you please give your dealers some decent information to work with. They are trying to make a living and they don't need some Smart Arsed Geek who spends too much time on the internet finding holes in their product knowledge. And if I was just a normal Suit In a Merc instead of said Smart Arsed Geek, three of them lost a near certain sale just because they hadn't been told. Your fault not theirs.

So, can anyone here shed any light on if and when it is coming? Life is too short for German cars...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi AlfaJock,

The 170 2.0JTDm is definitely going to be available and will indeed fall into the 13% BIK with sub 120 g/km. We should have more info on timescales by the end of next week but it would be fair to say that you will be able to get one for Q1 2012. Any queries, please give me a shout

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sometimes I despair of Alfa's ability to shoot themselves in the foot.

Some years ago, after 5 Alfas in a happy row, increasingly crazy business miles (30k pa) and constant motorway traffic jams sadly dictated I realistically needed a diesel with an auto, and I couldn't wait for the 159 auto to be launched. After defecting the fold twice (Saab 9-3 (nice in it's day) then a MB C320 (fast but soooo dull)) it's time to change again Q1 next year.

Lo and behold, the stars are aligned once again (cue celestial fanfare!) and Alfa have what could be my perfect trendy "downsizer", the Giulietta 170 JTDm TCT - gorgeous, fast, economical, clutchless, cheap enough that I can throw large chunks of the options list at it within my lease budget, and with 119 CO2, only pay 13% tax. I think this car could be a huge hit in the (admittedly weird) UK company car market, as otherwise it is mainly manual, skinny tyred, over-geared eco models that meet that particular tax dodge.

Perfect.

Except I can't have it.

I've now spoken to three different dealers, according to all of whom it doesn't exist. When I pointed out that yes it does, it's on Alfa's europe wide website with full details of the spec, two of them were then adamant that it was not coming to the UK. Although they couldn't explain why they were so sure of this when they didn't know it existed in the first place and seemed a bit miffed when I asked. The third just didn't know. They all thought the petrol TCT is coming, but they don't know when they will be able to start taking orders - possibly November.

So please, Alfa UK:
1. If you are not bringing the diesel version, rethink that. It is a monumentally stupid decision.
2. If you are bringing it, can you please give your dealers some decent information to work with. They are trying to make a living and they don't need some Smart Arsed Geek who spends too much time on the internet finding holes in their product knowledge. And if I was just a normal Suit In a Merc instead of said Smart Arsed Geek, three of them lost a near certain sale just because they hadn't been told. Your fault not theirs.

So, can anyone here shed any light on if and when it is coming? Life is too short for German cars...
It is definitely coming to the UK. I had a similar problem with the sales guy at Guests Solihull who told me that the TCT was solely developed to work with petrol Multiair!? You just can't get the staff. Phoned up a not so local dealer and they're excited about the first diesel TCT demo's which will be here mid December.

If you can wait a little longer (like I am) then you'll get your auto tractor if you want one:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sanity prevails then!

Have made peace with auto tractors being in my life, as long as they are not German :eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
508 Posts
As promised, an update on Giulietta TCT.

4 version will be available,

1.4 TB Multiair Lusso at £21855 OTR
1.4 TB Multiair Veloce at £23155 OTR

2.0JTDm 170 Lusso at £23550 OTR
2.0JTDm 170 Veloce at £24800 OTR

Paddles will be available for £260 and the TCT will come with a footrest.

Performance wise,
Multiair is 0.1 sec quicker 0-62, 5.6 mpg more economical and 13 g/km cleaner.
2.0JTDm is 0.1 sec quicker 0-62, 2.7 mpg more economical and 5 g/km cleaner.

The Multiair now falls into the £95 per year RFL bracket and the 15% BIK
The 2.0JTDm now falls into the £30 per year RFL bracket and the 13% BIK

Ordering will open on the 3rd October.

Lease prices to follow.

Any questions, please just ask

David:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good news and info. Performance/consumption improvement is pretty impressive.

When you say the TCT has a footrest, do you know whether it's positioned in place of the clutch pedal or directly beside the centre console? Would be interesting if AR redesigned the RHD footwell to accommodate one.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Performance wise,

Lease prices to follow.

Thanks for this! Well worth waiting for this......Interesting that there's a Lusso version too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good news and info. Performance/consumption improvement is pretty impressive.

When you say the TCT has a footrest, do you know whether it's positioned in place of the clutch pedal or directly beside the centre console? Would be interesting if AR redesigned the RHD footwell to accommodate one.
I would imagine that it would be in place of the clutch pedal rather than a redesign.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Performance wise,

Lease prices to follow.

Is the TCT gearbox supposed to be a more expensive option on the Veloce than the Lusso and if so why? If the current prices for the manuals hold it is a 940 or 1000 pound (MA or JTDM) option on the Lusso and a 1360 pound option on the Veloce according to your figures.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As of the 1st of October the prices will be as follows,

1.4TB Multiair 170 Lusso Manual £20505
1.4TB Multiair 170 Lusso TCT £21855 (£1350 Premium)

1.4TB Multiair 170 Veloce Manual £21805
1.4TB Multiair 170 Veloce TCT £23155 (£1350 Premium)

2.0JTDm 170 Lusso Manual £22150
2.0JTDm 170 Lusso TCT £23550 (£1300 Premium)

2.0JTDm 170 Veloce Manual £23450
2.0JTDm 170 Veloce TCT £24800 (£1350 Premium)

These price are based on the £500 price increase on the current range that will take effect on the 1st October. The TCT prices already include this.
I'm a bit confused where the £940 & £1000 figures have come from as all 4 manual models have gone up £500 so the premiums would have looked like £1800 and £1850.

Regards

David

·
Registered
170 Posts
As of the 1st of October the prices will be as follows,

1.4TB Multiair 170 Lusso Manual £20505
1.4TB Multiair 170 Lusso TCT £21855 (£1350 Premium)

1.4TB Multiair 170 Veloce Manual £21805
1.4TB Multiair 170 Veloce TCT £23155 (£1350 Premium)

2.0JTDm 170 Lusso Manual £22150
2.0JTDm 170 Lusso TCT £23550 (£1300 Premium)

2.0JTDm 170 Veloce Manual £23450
2.0JTDm 170 Veloce TCT £24800 (£1350 Premium)

These price are based on the £500 price increase on the current range that will take effect on the 1st October. The TCT prices already include this.
I'm a bit confused where the £940 & £1000 figures have come from as all 4 manual models have gone up £500 so the premiums would have looked like £1800 and £1850.

Regards

David
That makes sense, but the confusion stems from the alfa car configurator which I've just discovered has a bug in it.

1) Go to the site and 1st change the engine from the 120 MA to the 170 MA and you will get a price of 20,495 for the 170 MA in Lusso trim.

2) Change the trim to the Veloce and you get a price of 21,795

3) Change the trim BACK to the Lusso and you get a price of 20,905 ...different from 1)!!

I didn't notice that 1 and 3 give different prices and I used the 20,905 figure for the Lusso and the 21,795 for the Veloce to work out the differential on the addition of the TCT gearbox (based on the current price as I said). These give the 940 and 1360 figures I quoted. The 20,495 figure for the Lusso trim gives the same differential as the Veloce.

And whilst we are about it, the car configurator information STILL implies the brake upgrade is just a painted stylistic option which is not correct.

·
Registered
35,757 Posts
the configurator also deletes the bright window surround when changing to Veloce from Lusso.Wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
Firstly - well done to Alfajock for the initial post. :thumbs:

I'm very new to the marque and have been waiting ages to order the TCT 2.0JTDm 170 Veloce.
At the end of June, the Worcester dealer told me it would definitely be in the July price list, but No! :rolleyes:

In searching for any news, I stumbled on Palmers Alfa Romeo Hemel Hempstead webiste which has a page including the text: "The long awaited Alfa Romeo Giulietta 170Bhp MultiAir Petrol and JTDm-2 TCT Automatic is NOW Available"

So if that's right, why can't I find it on the Alfa Romeo UK website? Or will it all change on 1st Oct? :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts