Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from arthritis in my left hip, indeed this was a major factor in going for the TCT but I've concluded that the footrest is too high forcing my leg into a painful position. Anyway I've removed the rest (one 5mm Allen screw) and despite leaving a bracket the difference is phenomenal, I can stretch out my leg now but it's still braced by the lower dashboard. All I need to do now is make a low level footrest. Anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi - I agree about the footrest. I too removed the plastic bit and agonised for a while about drilling out the rivets on the bracket. In the end I took a brave pill but in the event the three rivets were really soft aluminium and hardly needed any effort at all to remove. A rectangle of carpet offcut and a set of manual mats later and it looks and feels great. I don't see a need for a footrest at all - it's nice to stretch out your "clutch" foot and the car immediately feels more spacious.

Nick H
'14 Giulietta QV
Kent

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - I agree about the footrest. I too removed the plastic bit and agonised for a while about drilling out the rivets on the bracket. In the end I took a brave pill but in the event the three rivets were really soft aluminium and hardly needed any effort at all to remove. A rectangle of carpet offcut and a set of manual mats later and it looks and feels great. I don't see a need for a footrest at all - it's nice to stretch out your "clutch" foot and the car immediately feels more spacious.

Nick H
'14 Giulietta QV
Kent
Ah 3 rivets - I can only see one but then I haven't contorted myself down there properly! I think what you say makes sense, I will drill out and if necessary can always refit prior to handback/tradein etc. Manual carpets is a good tip too. Like you I felt an immediate benefit from removing it, it was really pushing my hip up which isn't good anyway and I was starting to find it a turn off as every drive was uncomfortable - not what we want in an Alfa!

The deciding factor was an Audi A3 with DSG I had while mine was being repaired (person backed into the door in a car park). The Audi felt so much more relaxed and I decided it was because I could stretch out my leg.

Many thanks for confirming my thoughts and by pioneering the job!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Sell the bits to a manual owner who hankers for somewhere to rest their clutch foot?

(Giuletta: The most uncomfortable RHD manual Alfa ever. :p)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lol - but there won't be space for it. Must admit I never quite got the problem with the manual G and countless other RHD Fiat group cars...don't you just put your foot *under* the clutch pedal on the motorway?! Nick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts