Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the TCT gearbox on the Guilietta has not been available that long but does anybody know if the dual clutch on these gearboxes will last a lot longer than a normal manual.

Also what is the best way to prolong the life, keep your foot on the brake in D or put it in N when stopped for long periods in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The increase in torque is usually what kills a twin/dual clutch transmission.

If they say its rated at 340Nm...then I have no faith in it...although, my clutch is showing signs of wear and time for replacement now(manual GQV Tuned) and I'm on 101000km tuned since day 1.

The gearbox can handle power, just not alot.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The clutches will last far longer than in a manual box, because the TCT actuators engage these clutches in a way that minimises wear.

You won't have to do anything special to preserve life, and starting from every single traffic light using the "launch control" function is about the only thing that I can think of that'll shorten that life.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The clutches will last far longer than in a manual box, because the TCT actuators engage these clutches in a way that minimises wear.

You won't have to do anything special to preserve life, and starting from every single traffic light using the "launch control" function is about the only thing that I can think of that'll shorten that life.
Mine laster 2 years, 17K on a MITO 135 TCT. Had a leak on gears 1 and 3 and was replaced under warranty. I'm hoping my TCT SportivaNav will last a lot longer

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That was two years due to a fault. The OP wanted to know what the expected lifetime of the clutches was on a non-faulty box.

Were your clutches knackered at 17k too, or just gear 1 and 3?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I know the TCT gearbox on the Guilietta has not been available that long but does anybody know if the dual clutch on these gearboxes will last a lot longer than a normal manual.

Also what is the best way to prolong the life, keep your foot on the brake in D or put it in N when stopped for long periods in heavy traffic.
if you sit on the brake or even have the handbrake on the box switches to neutral. Makes no difference if you keep it in Drive or not. But after a couple of minutes of sitting in Drive with your foot on the brake there'll be a warning signal to put the gearbox in neutral. This is to avoid accidents, should you forget the car is in Drive.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you sit on the brake or even have the handbrake on the box switches to neutral. Makes no difference if you keep it in Drive or not. But after a couple of minutes of sitting in Drive with your foot on the brake there'll be a warning signal to put the gearbox in neutral. This is to avoid accidents, should you forget the car is in Drive.
There is no warning signal on mine, this morning in heavy traffic I had foot on the brake and in Drive for a good while.
I checked the User manual and it states that you should not keep it in drive for long periods when stationary and should put it into neutral when possible.
Also there is a specific TCT warning that can appear saying "Clutch over temperature"

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I've heardabout tha warning, but don't know when it was incorporated, or how it works.

Could be it's just MY2014 and newer that have it, and could be just a calculated value.

Anyway, you won't overheat the clutch by letting the car run on it's own (1st or 2nd gear), you could do this all day long. but driving uphill with fewer than 1500 rm could trigger the warning, if the hill is steep enough. there's a lot more energy being consumed by the clutch that way.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The clutch in my TCT last approx. 44,000 miles. I began to experience issues earlier this year with the car occasionally going in to limp mode and displaying the transmission warning light.

After 3/4 visits to the dealer the fault was traced to wear on the clutch controlling the odd gears. Apparently it was worn quite badly, fortunately for me the repair was covered under warranty.

With my warranty use to expire in January I've decided to bail out now. I'm about to put a deposit down on a 2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.6 JTDM, bit of a radical change I know, however I like this model the way it drives and the economy as I have a 60 mile round trip to work.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That was two years due to a fault. The OP wanted to know what the expected lifetime of the clutches was on a non-faulty box.

Were your clutches knackered at 17k too, or just gear 1 and 3?
Gear 1 and 3 developed a leak which shouldn't have happened. In the end they replaced the clutch. They had to get a special guy down from Alfa to okay the warrenty work. Just think it was faulty at factory. The newer Tct have also been refined. I generally put into N mode by force of habit but I believe the tct does this electronically when stop start kicks in as my dash will say N.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick question regarding this subject, I just bought a guilietta QV with the tct transmission and noticed that there is a small jolt (not rough but noticeable if paying attention) between 1st and 2nd gear which isn’t noticeable between any other gears, is this normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have a 2018 1.7tbi. I get a jolt irom2-3, it's less in D mode and less when I give it more gas in normal drive. Om my older 170 tct it was as smooth as anything.

·
Registered
37,540 Posts
There is an arguement that clutches on a double clutch transmission will last longer than on a manual for a couple of reasons.

There are two clutches which share gearchanging, so they should have half as much wear from gearchanging compared to a normal clutch.

They are computer controlled, so each clutch action should be perfect, no pulling away from the Garden centre in 4th gear whilst slipping the clutch, or slipping whilst changing gear...

In practice bad driving can wear them out faster. If you drive the car like an Auto and allow the car to creep in traffic that is very bad for them.

Sitting in traffic with the brake on should be fine though, they are programmed to be fully disengaged until you release the brake.

Although they are generally reliable, the nature of them makes them more expensive to fix when the do fail/wear out...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gear 1 and 3 developed a leak which shouldn't have happened. In the end they replaced the clutch. They had to get a special guy down from Alfa to okay the warrenty work. Just think it was faulty at factory. The newer Tct have also been refined. I generally put into N mode by force of habit but I believe the tct does this electronically when stop start kicks in as my dash will say N.
Hi, did you experience clutch slip? And was it really noticeable? I was driving uphill the other day and thought I could feel a slip/over rev in 3rd, however wasn't sure if it was the gearbox looking to shift to 4th and rev matching or something.

Thanks, Joel.

·
Registered
37,540 Posts
I am no expert on these but I don't think they should slip. Certainly not in the way that a torque converter transmission would.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a definite slip in our 2.0jtdm 170.
It happens in 5th on the motorway whilst accelerating.
Ours was replaced once under warranty due to a leaking gearbox seal, this could be the same thing or it could be completely unrelated, either way it's a 2012 car so we may end up trading it in for something else.
The TCT on the mito 170 I have has no problems at all but I guess it has substantially less torque than the giulietta.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
TCT's weak spot in general is towing heavy stuff in 1st gear and especially slow towing on a hill, like, getting out of a sloped parking with something hooked on it. Other than that it should not be a problem i think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts