Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking into the PAS issue and thinking it's time to replace my fluid. My Alfa 159 is 1.75 TBi from 2010, and (contrary to a previous post of mine - I made a mistake there) I have the green liquid. So I want to replace only due to age reasons, but I'm wondering if I should also replace the tank.
I see no movement of the fluid when stationary, with engine on. While turning the wheels, I see a small level drop of the liquid, and it comes back afterwards. So no swirling/frothing issue. Can I also confirm I don't have the "blocked return valve" issue ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing I forgot to mention: my bonnet sticker indicates Tutela GI/A, which I see is also red color. Should I worry about this ? I saw all other guys saying they have either the correct GI/R or GI/E on their stickers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention: my bonnet sticker indicates Tutela GI/A, which I see is also red color. Should I worry about this ? I saw all other guys saying they have either the correct GI/R or GI/E on their stickers.
Fanatiku

I have a 2010 1750 Tbi Ti model for the Uk market and my power steering fluid is the Petronas Tutela G1/R I checked it with the Alfa Romeo Main dealer by given them the Vin number ZAR ......... on the car.
Mick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mick!

Do you have any idea about the tank ? Are our models prone to the "blocked valve" issue ? I would not change the tank, as I see no swirling, but still, the liquid seems much too static for me. I imagine there is a pump which should continuously move it (because you can flush the liquid without moving the wheel).

And BTW, any A/C issues with yours ?

Cheers!
Alin

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Mick!

Do you have any idea about the tank ? Are our models prone to the "blocked valve" issue ? I would not change the tank, as I see no swirling, but still, the liquid seems much too static for me. I imagine there is a pump which should continuously move it (because you can flush the liquid without moving the wheel).

And BTW, any A/C issues with yours ?

Cheers!
Alin
Fanatiku

No idea about the tank I do not know of any issues with the TBi blocked valve issue on our model either, I have had no issues with my A.C unit But I had the system re charged two years ago so the car is nice and cold in the hot weather but it works fine, you should use the a.c in the winter to stop the compressor pump sizing up.
Mick

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Normally the PAS plastic return "valve" doesn't block, it snaps off.
And you then get the fluid frothing and coming out the pressure relief hole
in the cap at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers, guys !

So my conclusion is now that I don't need a new tank, and that the liquid inside is the required green one. I'm still thinking to change it, as it's never been changed in 5 years, as far as I know. Maybe it will be healthy for the steering system.

In this case, I presume a deep flush is not needed, so is it possible to start the engine with the hose disconnected, get as much fluid out as possible ? I would not put the new fluid until after flushing is finished. Could it be a problem for the pump/system to run without liquid for a few seconds ? This I could do with only one liter of GI/R.

If not, I have to buy 2 liters, pour while flushing, and it's hard to estimate when to stop flushing, because there is no color difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts