Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after asking advice on here we ended up getting a hotish hatch in the form of a SEAT leon FR, it is the 170bhp derv version and is practical enough for us at the moment just.
However fun as it is we do need a bigger car so am back looking at 159s again (mrs is happier with a bigger car idea now) so am looking at ideally a Ti spec.

The leon is the first diesel car i've owned and it does go well now its had its first service and loosened up a bit with 9k on the clock. It revs well and has changed my perception of a sporty diesel, however we only do about 7k miles a year and it is annoying me paying 10p a litre more than petrol to fill up. Due to the type of driving it averages about 30mpg as well so i'm thinking of petrol again.

I can see the 2.4 being pretty swift and wonder if the tbi will have enough poke? I'm used to driving petrol turbo cars as well and the Leon has 256lb of torque so in gear acceleration is not too bad. Seems ramping the tbi is not that popular either?

Anyone gone from a 2.4 to a tbi or the other way around?

thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
One thing I will say is any Alfa will beat the SEAT. My mate has an '08 Leon Cupra K1 and even with a remap, I find it dull inside. He seems to enjoy it though.

At only 7k a year, the diesel might actually cause you problems with the DPF and EGR valve. The 2.4 is a stonking engine if you can can the best of it though!

A 1.9JTDM might be worth consideration. The same 170BHP (though in a heavier car) but infinitely more desirable, with reasonably good fuel consumption.

·
Registered
963 Posts
7,000 miles a year is not economical for a diesel unless you're prepared to gamble on lack of component failure (EGR and DPF).

·
Registered
48 Posts
TBI :thumbs:

Drove a couple when I was looking for a 159 and definitely my favorite of all of them.
2.4 felt bit to front heavy, though i'm sure you would get used to it, was a nice engine.
TBI felt more sprightly to me though.

Unfortunately I just couldn't make the numbers work doing 20k+ a year, so went sensible and got the 1.9 derv. But if that lottery win ever arrives :lol:...!!!

G

·
0 Posts
If affordable I would take a turbo petrol over a diesel all day long. The 2.4 is a great engine and when remapped leaves many a car behind but I would much prefer to be driving a car with the smooth delivery of a petrol engine

·
Registered
873 Posts
After 20 months and 14,000 miles I'm happy with the TBi. Had a 20v diesel 156 TI before that but was doing loads more miles.

If fuel cost is not an issue I would tend to favour the petrol but that's only personal and is no way trying to suggest the 2.4 is a lesser car. Interestingly when we went to order the car we had every intention of buying a 2.4 but the dealer talked us round. Not regretting the decision but guess saying beware what the dealers/sellers say which may well also be down to personal preference.

Well done on making a fantastic choice (159) regardless of the engine:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
For that mileage I'd go for the TBi. Faster, less to go wrong, and with much less weight over the nose it will corner far better. :thumbs:

You'll pay a bit more for fuel, but the 2.4 isn't exactly a Prius either ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
My last two cars were an FR petrol & a Cupra K1(remapped)- both very quick cars and both will beat the 159 2.4 in a straight line with no problems. However, now I am in the Alfa, there's no contest on the interior department and although a heavy car it has that Italian flare and drives really well. I'd go for it. You'll turn around to look at it every time you walk away :0) Not sure if I'd go for the 1.9 as coming from the hot hatch, I found it & the 20 jtd didn't have enough poke. The downside is the 2.4 isn't as nimble. Always a trade off to consider. Either way you'll love owning one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am leaning towards a tbi as always have had petrol cars and although the common rail derv in the leon revs well its not the same. The lower weight would be a plus as my v6 156 was very nose heavy and I'd imagine the 2.4 must be similar.
Just have to drive both and see what we get, here's hoping it goes ahead this time!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Neither really float my boat but the petrol would win as seems unproblematic:)

A

·
0 Posts
A 1.9JTDM might be worth consideration. The same 170BHP (though in a heavier car) but infinitely more desirable, with reasonably good fuel consumption.
The 1.9 has 'only' 150bhp - the earlier and some later 2.0 JTD's have the 170bhp;).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a 1.9 JTDM for three years averaging 10000 a year and never had any problems was an excellent all rounder
Now have a 2.4 ti same mileage a year and i love it, revs right up happily and the 5 pot engine sounds lovely when you give it the beans i fail to see why you would want to buy anything else??????

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll go with that, the 2.4 is a super engine. I'd go for the 1750 if you want petrol...it drives really nicely....a great shame that the 3.2 needs an oil tanker too:0(

·
Registered
47 Posts
tbi or 2.4 - Decision made...

I have made this decision in the last month. Having gone from Impreza WRX ((monster (6yrs ago) 230bhp 4wd 23mpg)) to a Jag 2.2d Sport (lots more comfort with only 150bhp, 35mpg) the change was not as big a shock as I expected it to be due to the torque in the mid range.

I therefore automatically wanted the 2.4 for my 10,000miles as on paper it seemed the ideal mix of performance and economy and found a black one at a dealer.

When I went to test drive it they also had a red 1750 which looked gorgeous and having driven both back to back in Meridien Milano I was genuinely imressed with the 1750. I set the trips and over the same test route (15mile mix of town and dual carriageway) the 2.4 returned 29mpg :eek: and the 1750 25mpg - not a great difference imho.

The 1750 performs not unlike a diesel with the sweet range appearing to be between 1500 and 3500 revs but is so much smoother and quieter which was a nice change to the somewhat agricultural Jag engine.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I collected it yesterday and drove from Palmers Hemel Hempstead to South Wales and according to the trip it returned 28mpg at a constant 80-85 (using private roads all the way back of course :D).

I am yet to guage what it is like for my 12 mile commute of 50% A-roads and 50% Dual carriage ways but I am happy I made the right decision (and given the choice you should have a red petrol alfa at some point in your life!)

I think both cars are still at Milanos as a combination of the inflexible attitude of the sales guy and the poor condition of the 2.4 means that the black 2.4 is still there and the red 1750 is not on my drive:tut: I would strongly suggest a back to back drive if you can manage it.

All in all, lets face it you have a nice decision to make :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts